1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

On 4/6/2021 at 5:35 PM, Scoremore said:

Well have to disagree.  Without knowing what we have in Love not in any hurry to trade Rodgers.  Now if Love could beat out Rodgers straight up and we can trade Rodgers for a boatload of picks hey great.  That's fantasy land.  Once Rodgers leaves we are going to suck for awhile.  Got a good look what happened to the team when he went down.  Wasn't pretty. 

We let Farve go because at that time Aaron was the better QB.  Don't think Love is anywhere close yet.  Don't want to see Rodgers in a different uniform for at least another few years.  Franchise QB's don't grow on trees.  We have one of the best in the game.  Enjoy it why he's here because once he's gone we may never see that level of QB play again in GB.

The "ideal" (which I don't know that there is an ideal, really) is that Rodgers has another injury where he misses some time, and Love comes in and looks fantastic, the Rodgers comes back, leads GB to a SB, asks for/gets a trade somewhere in the AFC, then Love takes over and GB doesn't miss a beat going back-to-back. Then Rodgers retires after a successful last hurrah wherever he lands and becomes the next Trebek. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The "ideal" (which I don't know that there is an ideal, really) is that Rodgers has another injury where he misses some time, and Love comes in and looks fantastic, the Rodgers comes back, leads GB to a SB, asks for/gets a trade somewhere in the AFC, then Love takes over and GB doesn't miss a beat going back-to-back. Then Rodgers retires after a successful last hurrah wherever he lands and becomes the next Trebek. 

I wouldn't say ideal but that is definitely a possible scenario in which this might play out.  Of course we want Rodgers to have another MVP season but he also has had 2 broken collarbones that cost him significant time (plus the knee injury vs CHI).  I remember we were all concerned about Rodgers' development when he was getting hurt & struggling in preseason but it was when he stepped in for Brent vs Dallas where we all knew this was our guy to take over.

I do love that Love is quiet about any supposed QB controversy on social media and hope he remains so.  Just RS another year and soak up everything he can from Rodgers, MLF and Hackett.  Preseason will be an opportunity to shine and maybe a few blowouts in the regular season will give him some 4Q reps.  You're only ever one play from going in anyway.

Edited by thrILL!
Sp
  • Like 1

A lot of high expectations for Love.  Remember this preseason will be his first live action.  It's a good idea to temper enthusiasm.  If he struggles early it doesn't mean he sucks.  This will in essence be his first year.  Last year redshirt.  Need to be patient and not be quick to label the kid a bust. 

Transitioning to the NFL takes time.  Hope Rodgers doesn't go down this year and the kid is forced to play.  If he does expect moments of brilliance followed by frustrating rookie mistakes.  He's not going to be able to play at Rodgers level this year.  Just not.  2022 expect him to play at decent back up level.  Ready by 2023.  Kinda see him following the same trajectory as Rashan Gary.  

If he comes out and lights it up during the preseason I'll be pleasantly surprised.  Not what I'm expecting though.

Odd that fans feel they need to choose sides on the QB's, there is room for both. 

Going a little Daryle Singletary here, but you can't have too much fun, too much money, a girl too pretty, a car too fast and you can't have too many good football players. 

• Like 3

My ideal Love/Rodgers situation.  Rodgers plays at an elite/MVP type level for the next 3 years.  Love improves and shows it in pre-season games.

Rodgers retires, hopefully with another Superb Owl trophy, and we move to Love.  We give Love a basic starters contract, like we did Rodgers early on, and re-do it when he shows that he's better than average.

We won't maximize the full potential of the Love rookie deal, but we won't be all that far off either.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, R T said:

Odd that fans feel they need to choose sides on the QB's, there is room for both. 

Going a little Daryle Singletary here, but you can't have too much fun, too much money, a girl too pretty, a car too fast and you can't have too many good football players. 

i'm all about this. I will wish Rodgers lots of success against anyone other than GB. He's a class act and I suspect he would handle a departure gracefully and competitively (exactly how he should). Unlike Favre, I would definitely root for his legacy to keep building on an AFC team second only to the interest of the Packers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R T said:

I didn't have any issue with Favre....I thought he was being a bit of a diva but I was hoping he'd do well in NY. Then everything good he did became a referendum on how Aaron Rodgers was a mistake, and I started thinking "wait, what did Rodgers do wrong?" 

Of course, once he engineered his trade to the Vikings (I am still unsure how the NFL allowed that particular thing to happen without even a raised eyebrow) I was soured on him. 

But I think Rodgers might play QB better than anyone I've ever seen. And I certainly don't want Love to suck, no matter how this whole thing goes down. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I didn't have any issue with Favre....I thought he was being a bit of a diva but I was hoping he'd do well in NY. Then everything good he did became a referendum on how Aaron Rodgers was a mistake, and I started thinking "wait, what did Rodgers do wrong?" 

Of course, once he engineered his trade to the Vikings (I am still unsure how the NFL allowed that particular thing to happen without even a raised eyebrow) I was soured on him. 

But I think Rodgers might play QB better than anyone I've ever seen. And I certainly don't want Love to suck, no matter how this whole thing goes down. 

I don't think it was the time with the Jets. I think it was when he faked retirement, immediately had surgery and then went to the Vikings. Didnt we even have a clause in the trade about 3 draft picks? I try to forget that time period, lol.

56 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I don't think it was the time with the Jets. I think it was when he faked retirement, immediately had surgery and then went to the Vikings. Didnt we even have a clause in the trade about 3 draft picks? I try to forget that time period, lol.

Rodgers was selected because Favre couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to retire or not, plus his level of play had really dropped off. Obviously, it improved once Rodgers was selected. I'm sick of people comparing this situation to the Favre situation though. Apples and oranges, Aaron's play hasn't tailed off, he's not going to retire anytime soon barring a major injury, and his numbers are far better than Favre's were once the heir apparent was selected. Aaron's issue is that McCarthy's offense got stale, he rightfully challenged it, and it became a problem for everyone.....and on that note, anyone else notice that we've had far fewer injuries under MLF than we did with MM? Also - sidebar, did we take notice of how many Cowboys found the IR list very quickly on MM's watch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Rodgers was selected because Favre couldn't decide whether or not he wanted to retire or not, plus his level of play had really dropped off. Obviously, it improved once Rodgers was selected. I'm sick of people comparing this situation to the Favre situation though. Apples and oranges, Aaron's play hasn't tailed off, he's not going to retire anytime soon barring a major injury, and his numbers are far better than Favre's were once the heir apparent was selected. Aaron's issue is that McCarthy's offense got stale, he rightfully challenged it, and it became a problem for everyone.....and on that note, anyone else notice that we've had far fewer injuries under MLF than we did with MM? Also - sidebar, did we take notice of how many Cowboys found the IR list very quickly on MM's watch?

Sure did notice.  The injuries followed MM.  Cowboys were decimated last year.  

• Like 1

Rodgers and Brady playing at such a high caliber at their ages is unprecedented so it’s hard to judge how much longer they can maintain it.  Brees never had the arm strength that those 2 have and toward the end of the year his 20 yd passes looked like an 8 year old trying to throw a Hail Mary. Roethlisberger looked washed and Peyton won a SB with Denver despite his arm looking like a wet noodle. 

I hope Rodgers can maintain this level but if he and Tom come crashing back to Earth would it really surprise anyone?

20 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I hope Rodgers can maintain this level but if he and Tom come crashing back to Earth would it really surprise anyone?

I don't think Rodgers arm is going to go away.

If he wants to keep playing at an elite level, it is about those legs.  Whatever he did last off-season worked.  Keep those legs strong and those feet as nimble as they can be.

What worries me about him as he ages...the brain.  Not that he will lose football IQ.  I think he will lose interest.  Lose passion.  He had something to prove last year, and he did it.  Hopefully he is determined to prove something again this year.

• Like 3

They all lose it sooner or later.  If he's diligent might be able to play for 4 more years.  Father time gets them all and Aaron is no different.  Your right Vegas the legs are the first to go.  I'm still surprised at how well he played last season.  Thought he was on the downward slide didn't see that coming. He needs another ring to cement his legacy.  To only win one with how great he has been is a travesty.  Gotta think that will keep him motivated.

On 4/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Scoremore said:

They all lose it sooner or later.  If he's diligent might be able to play for 4 more years.  Father time gets them all and Aaron is no different.  Your right Vegas the legs are the first to go.  I'm still surprised at how well he played last season.  Thought he was on the downward slide didn't see that coming. He needs another ring to cement his legacy.  To only win one with how great he has been is a travesty.  Gotta think that will keep him motivated.

He doesn't need his legs if he has a good OL in front of him; just ask Tom Brady... We've heavily invested in the IOL and now it's time to take care of the OT. Whether or not Bakh got hurt last season is immaterial to the fact that we are hurting for OT's and fortunately for us, we've got yet another draft that plays to that need, just like we did in 2019 with CB and S a couple years ago where we got a long-term solution at one CB position, a solid player at S, and then we backed that up with Jenkins, Keke, and developmental players in Hollman and Sternberger with a bit of a return on Summers and potential in D. Williams.

Edited by Joe

On 4/9/2021 at 3:09 PM, vegas492 said:

What worries me about him as he ages...the brain.  Not that he will lose football IQ.  I think he will lose interest.  Lose passion.  He had something to prove last year, and he did it.  Hopefully he is determined to prove something again this year.

I tend to agree. I think Rodgers desire to keep playing will leave him before any kind of Manning/Brees/Roeth level drop off in physical ability sets in.

• Like 1