1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

IMO Love is Matt Ryan who can throw on the run. A physically talented guy who willl excel in a good system, but if he had to come in and create on his own don’t expect much.

Fully respect your opinions whenever you have them but @Packerraymond's Cutler comp is more spot on. Love's arm makes Ryan's arm look like a peashooter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Fully respect your opinions whenever you have them but @Packerraymond's Cutler comp is more spot on. Love's arm makes Ryan's arm look like a peashooter.

I sat down and did some serious thought on this subject earlier tonight and took into consideration his game tape, the YouTube video that was shared earlier in this thread, and written scouting reports that were still available here on the web.

The comparison to Matt Ryan is wildly inaccurate but not for the reason you've given. Love's arm is more like Cam Newton's; at least when it comes to deep throws - he's inaccurate, whereas Ryan is much more accurate when asked to make those throws. With that said, the YouTube video that was shared earlier in this thread shows a major weakness that Love had coming into last year's draft: his receivers have to adjust and over-adjust to his throws. However, there is some hope given that Love showed better mechanics in that video compared to the tape from 2018 and 2019.

In other words, he's fixed some of the mechanical issues he had as a passer, but his accuracy is still highly suspect. I still contend that he's a traits-based pick and an expensive lottery ticket, but he will be successful if he can be a game-manager QB. His arm is without question, but I doubt the accuracy issues will fix themselves and it doesn't matter because he will be asked to make short to intermediate throws rather than 15-20 yard throws down the field so deep ball accuracy essentially becomes irrelevant.

This past draft was a clear indicator on what direction our offense is taking and I wouldn't be surprised if Davante is gone after his next contract. I can't say this enough: we're reverting back to the Minnesota offense from 2012 where we run heavily to set up the pass almost as an element of surprise. That's why we've drafted OL the way we have under Gutey/MLF. I still hate this pick vehemently and am still very angry with the direction we're taking with Love; but I'm quietly intrigued with what happens and will definitely stay tuned to see what things will look like in order to understand how we un#### this situation.....if the organization can do so at this point...

• Like 1

I don't know what you're watching to where you got Love's arm is Cam Newton's. Cam puts everything he has into an awkward release and leaves balls at people's feet. If you come to the conclusion that Love is Cam, it's a "black QB" thing and nothing more. It's as lazy as "Love is Kizer." LIS, @Packerraymond is spot on with the Cutler comparison IRT arm talent. Love makes throws off platform that only special arm talent types can do and stuff that Cam couldn't ever dream of.

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

IMO Love is Matt Ryan who can throw on the run. A physically talented guy who willl excel in a good system, but if he had to come in and create on his own don’t expect much.

Other then the INTs in their final year in college, I'm not sure there's any similarities between the two.

I’ve been watching more games of his lately . Jordan Love did not have it easy in college . People bring up his WRs not getting open, but they fail to recognize how terrible the offensive line was. There’s almost ALWAYS a guy coming in . The offensive line is atrocious. Jordan Love had to be Superman all the time there. 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’ve been watching more games of his lately . Jordan Love did not have it easy in college . People bring up his WRs not getting open, but they fail to recognize how terrible the offensive line was. There’s almost ALWAYS a guy coming in . The offensive line is atrocious. Jordan Love had to be Superman all the time there. 

I have a lot of time on my hands right now and I'm kinda driven to watch every throw of his in college from 2018 on and make notes on every single one but I know it would be time wasted because his detractors would still be his detractors. Gotta take a hard stance!

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I have a lot of time on my hands right now and I'm kinda driven to watch every throw of his in college from 2018 on and make notes on every single one but I know it would be time wasted because his detractors would still be his detractors. Gotta take a hard stance!

It’s really really shocking how people don’t account for context. The guy literally played with 1 NFL player his sophomore year and lost lost his entire offense/ coaching staff .

Im really not a fan of the ‘draft community ‘ , they just piggyback off one another and as soon as one criticizes a prospect, they all pile on.

Another example , Rashan Gary.  People still think of him as a reach at 12. Freak athlete , blue chip pedigree , respected coaches and players rave about him, great kid, hard worker, did what he was asked to do well at Michigan and people STILL call him a reach.

• Like 3

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s really really shocking how people don’t account for context. The guy literally played with 1 NFL player his sophomore year and lost lost his entire offense/ coaching staff .

Im really not a fan of the ‘draft community ‘ , they just piggyback off one another and as soon as one criticizes a prospect, they all pile on.

Another example , Rashan Gary.  People still think of him as a reach at 12. Freak athlete , blue chip pedigree , respected coaches and players rave about him, great kid, hard worker, did what he was asked to do well at Michigan and people STILL call him a reach.

Context, in general, is lost in most arguments online. 

I just want to say, with this whole fiasco about Rodgers going on, that Jordan Love I'm sure is going to be working even harder and harder on his craft. One can only think this leaves a giant chip on his shoulder. He is going to be on a mission to prove to everyone that he deserved to be drafted where and when he did. I am certainly rooting for the young man. 

Edited by ReadyToThump

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

I just want to say, with this whole fiasco about Rodgers going on, that Jordan Love I'm sure is going to be working even harder and harder on his craft. One can only think this leaves a giant chip on his shoulder. He is going to be on a mission to prove everyone that he deserved to be drafted where and when he did. I am certainly rooting for the young man. 

You will be rooting for him in a different uniform if his agent gets his way.