1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

Arms, knees, elbows. Love's success will hinge upon his ability and speed to process information. I posted a video of Rodgers explaining what he sees and looks for pre-snap and how that affects everything -- down to how many hitches he may take on a 5 step drop. It was pretty fricken impressive. For some reason, I can no longer find it

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even think about this until Bruce Irons piece on CHTV. I'm agreeing with @VonKarman

If Bortles becomes the starter due to a no-show or an injury to AR, I can't see the Packers winning that many games. Because of the AR situation, the Packers need to begin the process of finding out what they have in Love. Either he begins to progress towards a starter-level QB or he flames out, in which case another succession plan needs to be developed, quickly.

Love is not some back-end of the draft QB, he cost a 1st and 4th. He needs reps.......... and the coaches need to see how he handles the reps and coach him up.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

If AR doesn't show and Bortles starts that should tell every Packer fan what they need to know about Loves progress. I know it was a bad year last year to learn a system but Love has still had a whole year of NFL practices, review, and training. If he cannot beat out Bortles there may be major issues there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

If AR doesn't show and Bortles starts that should tell every Packer fan what they need to know about Loves progress. I know it was a bad year last year to learn a system but Love has still had a whole year of NFL practices, review, and training. If he cannot beat out Bortles there may be major issues there. 

Rodgers lost to Nall in his third season to start.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Doesn't fit my narrative.

Fine. Rodgers lost to Nall his second season

Nall wasn't even on the Packers in Aaron Rodgers second season.

He was a healthy scratch in all 16 games in 2005.  In 2006 he signed a contracts with both Buffalo & Houston. Ingle Martin, who GB drafted in the 6th round in '06 was the 3rd string QB.

He came back to Green Bay in 2007 because there were questions about Favre's elbow.  He got the back up job back for the first time since 2004 because Rodgers' hamstring injury.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Well that's not true. Rodgers played in 2 games and broke his foot before Nall played. Rodgers was the backup.

Rodgers broke his foot in year 2.  Ingle Martin ended up being his replacement that year.

Rodgers hamstring injury in year 3 is why Craig Nall played.  He was signed late in the year because of uncertainty around Favre's elbow injury.  

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I didn't even think about this until Bruce Irons piece on CHTV. I'm agreeing with @VonKarman

If Bortles becomes the starter due to a no-show or an injury to AR, I can't see the Packers winning that many games. Because of the AR situation, the Packers need to begin the process of finding out what they have in Love. Either he begins to progress towards a starter-level QB or he flames out, in which case another succession plan needs to be developed, quickly.

Love is not some back-end of the draft QB, he cost a 1st and 4th. He needs reps.......... and the coaches need to see how he handles the reps and coach him up.

It's very easy to say that given his stint in Jax, but bear in mind that he practically took them to a Super Bowl FWIW when he had legit weapons and a stable OL. He'd have more than that in GB though that's not to automatically assume he'll be better; it is to say that he won't be as bad as we may think.

Raymond said it himself: Love is boom-or-bust. When he's on he's really on(see MSU 2018) and when he's off he's really off(see BYU/LSU 2019). He's a traits-based QB all the way, which is how he snuck into the first round and we traded up to reach on him. You're right in that he needs reps: game reps - no more of this padless practice BS, we've gotta see what he can do in an actual game and the further that action is delayed, the more it hurts him as one could imagine.

He really only needs to hit two checkmarks, which are actually well-defined.
1. HAS he fixed his accuracy issues IN GAME as opposed to a work-out video that's kum-seh kum-sah.
2. WILL he be able to adapt the hours of film study he's put in to the actual game.

The good news is that he's fully aware of his situation and appears to be shrugging off the pressure mentally - a very good sign. It's pretty evident that he is also very aware of his current predicament and the heightened pressure that comes with it is clearly not of his own doing, which too helps from a mental standpoint.

Enough has been said and debated on him to the point where everyone is overthinking this - we just gotta see him on the field already...

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This ...

If Rodgers is here then there is a case for Bortles being back-up if they think he is more likely to win the odd game if Rodgers goes down although it isn't a great sign.

If he isn't then Love at least needs to be given first shot at it. He's not a rookie - he needs to play first before  the game slows down for him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

If he isn't then Love at least needs to be given first shot at it. He's not a rookie - he needs to play first before  the game slows down for him. 

and for those who may be alarmed by that sentence, consider the fact that this has become common practice around the league...