1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

10 hours ago, cannondale said:

Of course I'm right. First of all - that coach that you said the Packers hired for Love - has been his personal coach since the 8th grade, so not sure what you're smoking. That means he has been working on his technique with a coach for quite some time now. Show me the offseason video where he drops back to pass and diagnoses a play, or reads a defense, or goes through progressions, because we already know it didn't happen in season. Does dropping back and hopping over blocking dummies before throwing a 5 yard out to an uncovered receiver equal running the offense ? Was he doing 7 on 7's or 11 on 11 running the offense somewhere that you know of and the rest of the world doesn't ? Did the Packers hire 21 guys for that too ? Are you also saying he learned how to tie a tie or drink tea with his pinky out ?  Awesome. And he knows the playbook. Fabulous. Add that up and you have near nothing which equals pretty much a lost season. That's why everyone is saying it. 

If you think film work, and cleaning up technique issues mean nothing, then you have a very simple way of looking at things. 

Would it have been better had he played in camp/pre-season, absolutely. But the operative words are ‘ wasted’ or ‘lost’. it wasn’t as helpful , but it wasn’t wasted.

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

Of course I'm right. First of all - that coach that you said the Packers hired for Love - has been his personal coach since the 8th grade, so not sure what you're smoking. That means he has been working on his technique with a coach for quite some time now. Show me the offseason video where he drops back to pass and diagnoses a play, or reads a defense, or goes through progressions, because we already know it didn't happen in season. Does dropping back and hopping over blocking dummies before throwing a 5 yard out to an uncovered receiver equal running the offense ? Was he doing 7 on 7's or 11 on 11 running the offense somewhere that you know of and the rest of the world doesn't ? Did the Packers hire 21 guys for that too ? Are you also saying he learned how to tie a tie or drink tea with his pinky out ?  Awesome. And he knows the playbook. Fabulous. Add that up and you have near nothing which equals pretty much a lost season. That's why everyone is saying it. 

You don't think going through an entire NFL season, in meetings, practice watching film, etc. amounts to anything positive? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

BTW, the way the NFL plays preseason games doesn't exactly replicate a good college game much less NFL level defenses and schemes. I mean this kid has been playing QB for quite some time. Getting his fundamentals straightened out makes it anything but a lost year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You don't think going through an entire NFL season, in meetings, practice watching film, etc. amounts to anything positive? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

BTW, the way the NFL plays preseason games doesn't exactly replicate a good college game much less NFL level defenses and schemes. I mean this kid has been playing QB for quite some time. Getting his fundamentals straightened out makes it anything but a lost year. 

Course it means something, but it is obviously better to have the "full" offseason workouts, along with pre-season games to maximize growth value.

I'd argue that it was a "lost" season.  But I don't much care as I don't think it means much.  Herbert had a "lost" season until he had to start a game after not taking any first team reps and it worked out just fine for him.  Burrow was fine until he got injured.  Even Tua had his moments.

16 hours ago, cannondale said:

I guess we will also agree to disagree. All/most scouts stated Love needed technique refinement but a lot of talent.  He had the year to work on technique/footwork as it fits this scheme.  That is hardly wasted.  Before you put yourself on the field it is a huge advantage to mentally know your progressions and have had mental reps and see the speed of the game as an observer - not to mention watching learning from AR for a year seeing how he prepares, etc.  Even teammates of his have stated he is a different player this year vs last year.  Most good players obviously need the physical traits to play the position but the good player/great players have the mental part of the game down and know it like the back of their hand.  The mental part of the game a lot of times is what separates players regardless of the sport.

Would live practice reps /on field have helped - maybe - but the mental reps and learning the playbook and everything that goes into a week’s worth of practice /preparation imo is definitely worth it’s weight in “gold”.

1 minute ago, packfan1 said:

I guess we will also agree to disagree. All/most scouts stated Love needed technique refinement but a lot of talent.  He had the year to work on technique/footwork as it fits this scheme.  That is hardly wasted.  Before you put yourself on the field it is a huge advantage to mentally know your progressions and have had mental reps and see the speed of the game as an observer - not to mention watching learning from AR for a year seeing how he prepares, etc.  Even teammates of his have stated he is a different player this year vs last year.  Most good players obviously need the physical traits to play the position but the good player/great players have the mental part of the game down and know it like the back of their hand.  The mental part of the game a lot of times is what separates players regardless of the sport.

Would live practice reps /on field have helped - maybe - but the mental reps and learning the playbook and everything that goes into a week’s worth of practice /preparation imo is definitely worth it’s weight in “gold”.

When did this happen ? 

30 minutes ago, packfan1 said:

Last year.  Film work, playbook, working on technique - mental part of the game.  Watching/learning from AR and others.  Not sure what you are referring to -

I guess you guys call MLF a liar every single presser when he talks about the importance of reps. Love had zero reps before this year. Literally impossible to work on "footwork as it fits this scheme" unless you are taking live reps via 7 on 7 at the minimum. Everyone from MLF to Gute to the Easter Bunny has said that Love has a long way to go. This isn't even about trying to read the tea leaves. There is factual stuff you guys are flat out ignoring. Mental reps ?? Please. Someone needs to explain the concept of mental reps with zero physical memory backup. 

Did Love work on throwing the ball ? Yea, just as he has every single year since age 10. Rodgers had growing pains in year one of this offense and he took all the reps and he had 14 years experience to help him. To say last year was a lost season is probably an understatement. It's nobody's fault, but still true.

Edited by cannondale

32 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I guess you guys call MLF a liar every single presser when he talks about the importance of reps. Love had zero reps before this year. Literally impossible to work on "footwork as it fits this scheme" unless you are taking live reps via 7 on 7 at the minimum. Everyone from MLF to Gute to the Easter Bunny has said that Love has a long way to go. This isn't even about trying to read the tea leaves. There is factual stuff you guys are flat out ignoring. Mental reps ?? Please. Someone needs to explain the concept of mental reps with zero physical memory backup. 

Did Love work on throwing the ball ? Yea, just as he has every single year since age 10. Rodgers had growing pains in year one of this offense and he took all the reps and he had 14 years experience to help him. To say last year was a lost season is probably an understatement. It's nobody's fault, but still true.

Adjusting to the pro game, teammates, coaches, scheme takes time.  Yes LaFluer has said recently he is now working on footwork and has a long way to go.  Naturally, because I’m sure he does.  

A big part of learning the playbook before physical reps is knowing what you are doing.  When he learned the playbook do you not think he had to not only learn/think about where the receivers will be/timing on plays and also what technique and yes footwork will be needed for any given play?  3-step/5 step/7 step/rollout/etc .  Those are basic fundamentals for each play, right?  You need that knowledge/understanding to execute plays.  Fundamentals of course are things that coaches discuss - and he at the very least observed these techniques and footwork in the film and meeting rooms.  I can not attest to the exact nature of what he physically practiced but my best guess would be studying the GB playbook, techniques, footwork as it applies to GB - not the Steelers , Dolphins, Ravens or existing in a vacuum somewhere.  I get your point that we don’t know exactly but they drafted this guy before they needed him and knew they would be developing him, so not sure what the confusion would be here.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:30 PM, HighCalebR said:

Yeah i just disagree. Blake isnt an upside QB anymore. And like you stated they wont know what Love is until Love plays and I don't think the Packers can afford to go into the QB quagmire of hoping a guy pans out for a few seasons without giving him healthy competition. As soon as Rodgers goes, you immediately spend another 1st, 2nd rounder on a QB to compete with Love and hell maybe even Bortles or another vet QB. Theres no way i put all the marbles on 1 guy even for a year until I KNOW i got the guy.. The chance of failure is too high.

So i guess we'll find out the direction they go. As you said. This is just opinion posting at this point, no wrong answers.

Obviously, but with the weapons around him here, the familiarity with Nathanial Hackett, and his veteran experience he's a fall back plan for the short-term in the event Love is a bust. In other words, the offense can be tailored to him functioning as a game manager QB to get us to that next guy and 2022's QB class is a bit of a tire fire TBH.

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

It is somebody’s fault- the bozos who thought keeping Tim Boyle as the backup was a good idea.  It made no sense other than to placate Aaron.  Tim Boyle wasn’t winning games for us if Aaron went down.