1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys crazy? of course he had reps in training camp and in-week training during the season. Why are you making it sound like he did absolutely nothing during the week prior to game day? That's clearly not true, what moron would even believe that?

On top of that they would've planned his his entire schedule with classroom work, weight training, technique work, recovery sessions, nutrition and private workouts. Nothing would be left to chance.

Of course nothing beats lots of reps in training camp and preseason games but since those took a hit last year you can still look to improve in other different ways which is exactly what the Packers will have done with Love.

• Like 2

I am surprised that some people who follow football do not understand the concept of a redshirt year and how preparing with no expectation of playing oftentimes prepares a player much better than preparing with the expectation of maybe playing.

Particularly when the bulk of the work a guy needs to do involves "learning to work within the system."

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, VonKarman said:

He threw 55 times last year according to Packers beat writers.

You are trying to tell me that Jordan love only threw the football 55 times last year in practice? Are talking simulated action in practice or just the total amount of throws? 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You are trying to tell me that Jordan love only threw the football 55 times last year in practice? Are talking simulated action in practice or just the total amount of throws? 

Likely means with full team reps.  He was QB3 so he would not have gotten many of those. Who really knows but he obviously didn’t have a typical year’s development and that’s OK. It does mean he would have to jump right into the deep end if he were to start this year, something they are certainly  hoping to avoid. Pretty big preseason for the young man, I’m excited to see how he handles it. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Refugee said:

Likely means with full team reps.  He was QB3 so he would not have gotten many of those. Who really knows but he obviously didn’t have a typical year’s development and that’s OK. It does mean he would have to jump right into the deep end if he were to start this year, something they are certainly  hoping to avoid. Pretty big preseason for the young man, I’m excited to see how he handles it. 

The good news is that his mentals are there from what you hear in the interviews. He's well spoken and focused on the task at hand. TBH, last year was a mixed blessing for him as he could isolate himself with the playbook and focus on fixing some mechanical issues. Again, the challenge for him in the short-term is to see how all that preparation translates onto the field.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I am surprised that some people who follow football do not understand the concept of a redshirt year and how preparing with no expectation of playing oftentimes prepares a player much better than preparing with the expectation of maybe playing.

Particularly when the bulk of the work a guy needs to do involves "learning to work within the system."

It’s not shocking to me, because NFL Gen Pop is on average extremely stupid, but I still find it hard to believe anyone serious uses “he couldn’t beat out Tim Boyle” as an argument for anything. It is not tough to imagine that GB saw a covid year as an opportunity to go slow with Love, who everyone in the world already knew would be a project, which is why GB takes him when they don’t “need” him yet. It is completely logical that Love would be slotted as the #3 no matter what happened, and it had nothing to do with whether he could “beat out” Boyle. 

There are plenty of times where the 1st round rookie starts and there is no way he “beat out” the vet or whoever was ahead of him. It’s an owner or a coach who wants him to start, so he starts. This is the same thing in reverse. How fans don’t understand that is beyond me. If a coach wants a player to “beat out” another player, guess what, he will. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

They do . They just gotta act stupid to fit the narrative they choose to believe in their heads. There are ‘Packer fans’ who want Jordan to fail , so they play revisionist history and call the pick a reach. They nitpick problems he has, and they claim he’s ‘not ready ‘ with absolute no evidence to the contrary . 

It’ll never understand why people choose to die on a hill, no matter how stupid they sound, rather than mend their beliefs based off logic and new information.  

• Like 1

I think Loves lack of throwing was by design.  Come in learn the offense, come to meetings, learn about the NFL, take a year to spoon feed him into the Green Bay Packers organization.  He didn't beat out Boyle because he wasn't competing with Boyle.  I got no issues with how the Packers are handling Love.  Baby Steps and even if he has to play this year, more Baby Steps.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

We won't know nothing until he takes some nfl speed hits. How does he respond? Handle pressure? How well does he see the field? Also, how much "want it" does he have? That separates QBs.

He has the rest it seems and (very important) good coaching. But he always needed an extra year. Why he was late round one.

On 6/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Old Guy said:

I thought Love ran the scout team each weeks. He threw, he studied, he observed. Just part of the experience.

15 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

We won't know nothing until he takes some nfl speed hits. How does he respond? Handle pressure? How well does he see the field? Also, how much "want it" does he have? That separates QBs.

He has the rest it seems and (very important) good coaching. But he always needed an extra year. Why he was late round one.

Is that a rhetorical question? We all know the answer to that; it's the articulation of that answer that has drawn unnecessary debate that has fortunately ended.

That said, you bring up some excellent questions that, again, have already been debate. As far as the "want it" part, I think we saw him try way too hard in 2019 - some called it "hero ball" and we debated how the coaching staff is going to have to unlearn that mentality if it should be unlearned in the first place. With that in hand, we have to return to how he has handled himself in interviews; there isn't anything to suggest that he's unaware of the areas in which he needs to improve and he's gone into the next step of his career with an open mind.

Ergo once again, this topic should be dead until we actually see him do something live. JMO.