1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

On 8/5/2021 at 2:29 PM, Refugee said:

Good first interview.  Love is a level headed and mature guy for his age.  He did a good job of not letting the obvious questions rattle him and said he has been preparing like he's going to be the starter because that's how you'd better prepare if you want to stick around.  Also said the QB room  is a great exchange of ideas with AR obviously being the Jedi and they have a good open dialogue.  I have no idea if he will be our next great QB but he seems to have the mental disposition to handle the moment and improve his game.

He's basically been preparing a year and a half for this first preseason game, I'll be watching and cheering for the young man.

Every time I see a post from you my mind goes here. 

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Refugee (Live at Farm Aid 1985) - YouTube 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done going thru the Chris Simms podcast where he talked about the rookie QBs and Love.

Really interesting, a few highlights:

• Firstly he was overall very positive about Jordan. Going into it he didn’t know what to expect and had low expectations given as a 1st rounder he couldn’t win the backup spot last year. And he thought coming out of it that there is a lot there to work with and like.

Pros

• Showed a diversity of throws. He contrasted Trevor Lance a lot in this discussion. Lance throws thru a wall every throw. Doesn’t show touch or a change up. Leads to drops, he highlighted a roll out where the guy was right in front of him and he could of just got it there... instead acted like he is trying to drill threw a brick wall.

Jordan didn’t do this. He showed different throws.

• The packers coach staff just ran the meat and potatoes on offense. Again contrasting Lance and now Fields... Simms mentioned how Kyle dialed up that 80 yard bomb for Lance. That you will see that run only one time in preseason by one team and that was it. Because Kyle gets the business and he is trying to get media wins for the QB they sold the farm for. Similar with fields... a good amount of the plays they game planned to make him successful. Simms mentioned stuff like this will be harder in regular season giving defensive game plans.

Packers and Love? They didn’t do this. It was basic concepts and it was a plus he operated it and got good results.

• Love is taking things from Rodgers. Was a passing comment but Simms mentioned you can see he is trying to do things like Rodgers. Wishes he would take more things, mentioned being tighter with his arm placement (more on that later).

Cons

• biggest con was love’s pocket awareness. Didn’t belabor the point was just brutally simple and said it was “pitiful”. Highlighted the strip sack and said he needs to understand on a 5 step drop you have to climb the pocket to create space for you tackle to do his job running a guy out of harms way.

• loose with his arm. Compared this to fields... he isn’t consistent and tight with his arm. Leads to poor ball accuracy. Mentioned that he looks like he doesn’t trust where he is putting the ball all the time and was thinking about it. This is what he said he wants him to learn from Rodgers. Tighten up the arm be consistent with it... while you do your different types of throws... to give you better control.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

biggest con was love’s pocket awareness.

this was obvious to viewers as well, especially Packer fans due to Rodgers' absolutely ELITE pocket awareness. It's striking to see a QB without it in our colors. I agree with Simms here, hope Love focuses on this significantly. It's a enormous part of QB success IMO.

I thought he looked pretty good overall inside the pocket.  He could have stepped up a bit more on the strip sack, but that play was on Nijman for the most part.  He looked comfortable for the most part and was fairly impressive for a guy who hadn't played in 600 days or whatever.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I thought he looked pretty good overall inside the pocket.  He could have stepped up a bit more on the strip sack, but that play was on Nijman for the most part.  He looked comfortable for the most part and was fairly impressive for a guy who hadn't played in 600 days or whatever.  

And had an offensive line in front of him that was collapsing from the snap of the ball.
Imagine Love with the 1's - OL and skill position guys - in live action. That would be interesting to see and a good tell. Unfortunately, thats not gonna happen this preseason - so the "mystery" surrounding Love wont be dissipated completely.

Edited by Leader

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Just got done going thru the Chris Simms podcast where he talked about the rookie QBs and Love.

Really interesting, a few highlights:

• Firstly he was overall very positive about Jordan. Going into it he didn’t know what to expect and had low expectations given as a 1st rounder he couldn’t win the backup spot last year. And he thought coming out of it that there is a lot there to work with and like.

The bolded is such a BS narrative.  Love was intentionally redshirted the entire season due to how things played out with Covid.  He didn't beat Boyle out bcuz they never were competing for it.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Outside of that bone head int , Love looked great. Strong in the pocket, eyes down field, going through his progression, some real good throws. 

He looked like he belonged. Kid is going to be a good one. A really good one. 

My first impression was less enthusiastic, because he didnt put up points. I feel like we are making excuses. But he was going against Buffalos starters and he had all backups. His center certainly didnt do him any favors. All things considered, he moved the ball. Hopefully after another year he will be ready to go.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, Green19 said:

Highlighted the strip sack and said he needs to understand on a 5 step drop you have to climb the pocket to create space for you tackle to do his job running a guy out of harms way.

• loose with his arm. Compared this to fields... he isn’t consistent and tight with his arm. Leads to poor ball accuracy. Mentioned that he looks like he doesn’t trust where he is putting the ball all the time and was thinking about it. This is what he said he wants him to learn from Rodgers. Tighten up the arm be consistent with it... while you do your different types of throws... to give you better control.

Could've sworn someone else mentioned that Love threw a pick or screwed up a play because he didn't climb the pocket. I think you hinge that with the second line of the next "con" in that he may not be thinking about climbing the pocket due to the lack of trust either due to mechanics, ball placement, or getting used to superior talent around him compared to what he had his senior season.

Ergo, I think we have to contemplate whether one and/or the other is triggering some of the mechanical issues, decision making, and accuracy issues he still has. The next rhetorical question is whether or not those related issues are alleviated as a result of correcting or at least improving the previous issues.

13 hours ago, Brad gluckman said:

My first impression was less enthusiastic, because he didnt put up points. I feel like we are making excuses. But he was going against Buffalos starters and he had all backups. His center certainly didnt do him any favors. All things considered, he moved the ball. Hopefully after another year he will be ready to go.

One field goal missed and a 4th and goal from the one and Sternberger got blown up which stopped the run. 

Had to place the no points on the QB. He did his job, with a few breaks we go into halftime tied. 

I like this kid's future and will say it again. He's better than Rodgers at this point in Rodgers second year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brad gluckman said:

I'm getting the Brett Hundley vibe from Love.  Better tools but we'll see.  People will rave about a throw or two but you gotta put points on the board. 

"But he didn't have a preseason last year"  Neither did Burrow and Herbert but they did pretty well in their starts.  

Knowing the offense and completing 3 screens in a row looks great.  He should be further advanced IMO.