1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

I'd definitely shop the guy and see what's out there.  If the offers are great I'd seriously consider dealing him.  Next year is going to be a challenge with the cap, so going into a semi rebuild mode makes a lot of sense.  Rodgers still has some tread on his tires, but he's unpredictable and he could walk away from the game in the next couple years.  I'd rather get the mother load than see him retire with us in 2-3 years.

I'm confused on why so many don't understand that the cap won't be the issue here... The new TV deal goes into place in 2023... The cap is going to go way up. You just structure the deal for that. You move money which happens all the time. Money will not be the reason that Aaron isn't in Green Bay next year.

IMO any deal for Rodgers must include 1st rounders for 22 and 23.  If Love fails completely in 22 we will have the draft capital to move on another QB in the 23 draft. For a FO this would be called hedging your bets.   I wouldn’t consider a trade without it.  The very minimum asking price. 

If Rodgers salary is gone I believe Adams is signing or getting tagged.  If Rodgers stays Adams will more likely deal. Unless they have to tag Jaire. Let’s hope not. There’s no way the Packers just let them both walk.  That’s why resigning Jaire is critical. Soon. It will clear the smoke so the FO can navigate.  It’s going to be a busy offseason.  Tough decisions on the horizon. 

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

I'm confused on why so many don't understand that the cap won't be the issue here... The new TV deal goes into place in 2023... The cap is going to go way up. You just structure the deal for that. You move money which happens all the time. Money will not be the reason that Aaron isn't in Green Bay next year.

Some guy on twitter with the handle "cap genius" or something said it's just NOT possible. so obviously it's just not possible. Packers will be lucky to afford a team of scraps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

I'm with you here. I don't see the cap as a legitimate reason Aaron couldn't/wouldn't return. Easy to manipulate.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Some guy on twitter with the handle "cap genius" or something said it's just NOT possible. so obviously it's just not possible. Packers will be lucky to afford a team of scraps.

Ken Ingalls is convinced Rodgers is traded post-June 1 and Adams is not re-signed

16 hours ago, Toddfather said:

Well you def don't bring Z back, but also it's just how you structure the money. You back load it to the years when the new TV deal comes in and the cap takes a big jump. You could do it with Adams too if you wanted to. Out of all the things that would keep 12 from being a Packer next year money isn't it.

If Rodgers wants to come back and Packers want him back then its going to get done but its going to be messy. You have to make some sacrifices and there is going to be a tank year down the line. 

Life is short, who knows what will happen. If Rodgers comes back we are probably a relevant team next year. If he doesn't we probably aren't and we could be dead next time we challenge so just sort something out.

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

If Rodgers wants to come back and Packers want him back then its going to get done but its going to be messy. You have to make some sacrifices and there is going to be a tank year down the line. 

Life is short, who knows what will happen. If Rodgers comes back we are probably a relevant team next year. If he doesn't we probably aren't and we could be dead next time we challenge so just sort something out.

Again, I don't understand why there has to be a tank year. Money is moved around all the time. Rodgers and Adams extensions can be accomplished with a large amount of the money being paid out in 2023 and 2024 etc. That is when the new TV deal money flows in and the cap is going to get a big boost. They just have to make 2022 a softer hit. Money will not be an issue in 12 staying in Green Bay. It can be moved around easily. 

1 hour ago, Norse65 said:

If Rodgers salary is gone I believe Adams is signing or getting tagged.  If Rodgers stays Adams will more likely deal. Unless they have to tag Jaire. Let’s hope not. There’s no way the Packers just let them both walk.  That’s why resigning Jaire is critical. Soon. It will clear the smoke so the FO can navigate.  It’s going to be a busy offseason.  Tough decisions on the horizon. 

I go the the other way on this.

Resources are limited so you put them where they are most useful. And where they are most useful is in competitive seasons.

Even if Rodgers leaves, the cap is a major problem next year so any deal for Adams involves borrowing from future years. We aren't competing with Love probably next year so it doesn't make sense to make the 2023 and 2024 teams worse to turn a 5-12 season into a 7-10 in 2021.  If we move on from Rodgers then you clean up the cap ready to re-tool no more kicking cap down the road.

I don't like 3rd contracts generally. You are paying big money to players regressing, who are more injury prone (and recover slower) and are likely to be a bad contract down the line. Adams hasn't played a 16 game season. To sign him, it would be heavily backloaded so in a few years you are looking at huge numbers for an old player (in NFL seasons and wear and tear) who has an injury record.

I love Adams but the common sense thing to do if Rodgers leaves is let him go.  Have a re-tool year and use picks from Rodgers trade to make sure you get Love his own WR1 for the future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Again, I don't understand why there has to be a tank year. Money is moved around all the time. Rodgers and Adams extensions can be accomplished with a large amount of the money being paid out in 2023 and 2024 etc. That is when the new TV deal money flows in and the cap is going to get a big boost. They just have to make 2022 a softer hit. Money will not be an issue in 12 staying in Green Bay. It can be moved around easily. 

Every time you move money around (moving money around is a one way thing buy now pay next year) you create a bigger burden for yourself.   

Tank year maybe an exaggeration but there will need to be a clean-up at some point. You can't keep pushing money back or you are pushing money back to pay last year. If the cap goes up 40m great everyone else gets 40m extra to spend, we use it all to pay for previous years. 

5 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Every time you move money around (moving money around is a one way thing buy now pay next year) you create a bigger burden for yourself.   

Tank year maybe an exaggeration but there will need to be a clean-up at some point. You can't keep pushing money back or you are pushing money back to pay last year. If the cap goes up 40m great everyone else gets 40m extra to spend, we use it all to pay for previous years. 

I get your point, but I don't think that is what is going to happen here. I believe Green Bay went all in this year knowing that they can still extend players and make a bulk of the pay out be after the 2023 season when the TV deal money comes in. If that is the case you theoretically do not have to have a year where you lose everyone because the influx of the extra money was being used responsibly. Aaron and Adams might not be here. They could trade him, get the picks and the cap number is a lot better. That being said they could also extend him and have the money come after 2023 and still the cap will look good after next year. Covid screwed the NFL's cap and the TV deal is going to save it. You don't need to have a bad year to be cap healthy again if they use the money correctly. I have faith they will. 

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd definitely shop the guy and see what's out there.  If the offers are great I'd seriously consider dealing him.  Next year is going to be a challenge with the cap, so going into a semi rebuild mode makes a lot of sense.  Rodgers still has some tread on his tires, but he's unpredictable and he could walk away from the game in the next couple years.  I'd rather get the mother load than see him retire with us in 2-3 years.

I doubt that the "mother lode" is available for him now.

Semi-rebuild mode?  Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but....

We are 8-3.  Without Bakh and Z for the entire season.  Missing big chunks of the season from Jaire, Myers.  With 'Vante and Rodgers missing a game due to covid.  King in and out of the lineup.  Jones for one game, Gary for one game.

What I'm saying is this....we could release Bakh (we won't), JA (we won't), Z, P and a whole host of others and be just fine.

We've won this year with a lot of talent on IR.

I think they only guy we could cut and really, and I mean, REALLY miss is Clark.

With the cap expected to go up, I think if we find a way to retain Rodgers and maybe Adams, we are fine.  More than fine.