1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

6 hours ago, Pick6byWoodson said:

If time could go back, would you guys draft Jordan Love, or Jalen Hurts, who went a round later? If you had to pick one of the two.

The “woulda, coulda, shoulda” game is pointless.  Our GM made the selection with the best intel at the time.  There’s basically no point in looking back and second-guessing the selection.  If that were the case, every GM everywhere could look back after several years have passed and said “hmmm, maybe we should have gone in a different direction.”  There’s just no point in going there.

While retro-choices will never change what actually happened, they are not pointless at all. Rather, they are a look at a historical choice with the benefit of hindsight.

It's why old battles are refought on maps, decades or centuries after they took place - they look to learn lessons from the choices made earlier, both the good and the bad.

While it can be tedious to continually re-visit one specific choice again and again (like T.J.Watt instead of Kevin King, or much earlier, the possible choices that came after Tony Mandarich was selected 2nd overall), the less-often or never repeated comparisons are fair game on this board, imo.

I italicised and bolded the next part so that those that have no interest in European battles can skip it.

Take the battle of Waterloo as an example, If Napoleon had learned the lesson that sending columns against lines of steady infantry just got his men slaughtered (which is what happened multiple times earlier, as Wellington kept meeting French troops in the Peninsula war through Portugal, into Spain and eventually into Southern France), he might have won at Waterloo and maybe we would all be speaking French.

The same applies, if Marshall Ney (same battle) had not sent hordes of unsupported cavalry in multiple charges against enemies formed into squares at the same battle.

If Napoleon had not committed a huge wedge of his troops to try and (unsuccessfully) batter down a well fortified farm complex (Hougemont, one of the bulwarks of the allies defences), which was defended by a much smaller force, he would have had more forces in reserve to commit to defending his right flank when the Prussians began to arrive on the field of battle, late in the day.

If Wellington had not posted almost all his troops on the reverse of a slope facing the enemy, hidden from direct view of the French cannon, his troops would have suffered a greater mauling from the more numerous French artillery.

The Prussians, after they were beaten when they first fought the French (a prelude to Waterloo) and were retreating in relative chaos as night was falling, had a poor map. The one clear destination they could see in the dim light was the village of Wavre. They would likely have chosen a different path of retreat with a better map. Choosing Wavre meant the Polish army stayed just near enough to Wellington at Waterloo, to enable them to arrive late in the day  and turn a very close-run battle into an eventual total rout of the French forces.

My point is that luck, good choices and bad choices, all make a big difference to the result of (in this case) a major conflict.......and while luck can often plays a big part, learning lessons from the past can also affect the future in a major way.

Bringing it back to football, hindsight on the consequences of taking short cornerbacks (anything that is much below 5'11") is what led Thompson to set the lower limit on guys he would draft. As the old saying goes, "You can't learn anything from a mistake, unless you admit that you've made it".

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Can we all admit that the packers made a massive mistake last year by making Tim Boyle the #2?  Love needs all the practice reps he can get.  He didn’t even dress for games because he sat behind Boyle last year.  The argument at the time was that “Tim Boyle can win a game if Rodgers goes out”.  

Last week confirmed what I had suspected all along.  Tim Boyle is not an NFL caliber QB.   He wasn’t winning any games for us last year if he had to come in.  

Honestly, I have no idea why a certain sect of packer fandom hyped that guy.

16 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Can we all admit that the packers made a massive mistake last year by making Tim Boyle the #2?  Love needs all the practice reps he can get.  He didn’t even dress for games because he sat behind Boyle last year.  The argument at the time was that “Tim Boyle can win a game if Rodgers goes out”.  

Last week confirmed what I had suspected all along.  Tim Boyle is not an NFL caliber QB.   He wasn’t winning any games for us last year if he had to come in.  

QB2 was the guy who was best at being in Aaron's ear and holding a clipboard. Not necessarily the best at being the better on-field QB for a stretch of games.

If Aaron has gone down for significant time, Love may have gotten the nod. It was a redshirt year for many reasons, and no sect of fans I ever encountered "hyped" Boyle about anything more than being the best clipboard holder.

16 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I said in some other thread, I don’t want to hear s*** about any backup QB like Tim Boyle again. For two years you heard about his incredible arm and how we should’ve kept him blah blah blah. Most backup QBs aren’t going to win you games, especially ones who don’t have starting experience or have a high pedigree . 

21 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Hey man, no need to **** on the Tim Boyle Lazer Show on a day we’re supposed to be giving thanks.

All jokes aside, Boyle did show some promise during the PS the year before and in practice. I think by the half way point you could try to force Love in as QB2 but he was way behind in the playbook.  That’s the point where Love needed to force the coaches hand and outplay the competition. It would seem that he didn’t. 

Edited by Refugee

18 hours ago, Pick6byWoodson said:

If time could go back, would you guys draft Jordan Love, or Jalen Hurts, who went a round later? If you had to pick one of the two.

Love to me, had more upside than Hurts coming out.  So if I had to take one in the first round, it would be Love.

Same breath, I thought that Hurts was a better value for where he would be drafted.  And taking him after the first would not have threatened Rodgers.

Hurts has greatly exceeded my expectations in the league.  He's the better player right now.

We never would have seen that in GB, though.

And you gotta remember, at the time Love was drafted, Rodgers was declining.  I think taking Love in the first was still the right thing to do, regardless of how it has played out so far.

1 hour ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Boyle as a Packer with our line and skill guys is a different player than being in Detroit.

He would have been fine for us.  He knew the system better than Love.  He gave us a better chance to win at that time.

Love has a much bigger upside.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Boyle as a Packer with our line and skill guys is a different player than being in Detroit.

He would have been fine for us.  He knew the system better than Love.  He gave us a better chance to win at that time.

Love has a much bigger upside.

Tim Boyle stinks.  He wasn’t good at UConn.  He looked like Kirk Benkert in preseason, at best.  He has an extremely limited ceiling.  Stop trying to make Tim Boyle happen lol.  

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I would have given up our 2 and made sure I got Justin Jefferson.

You don't trade up, in the first, for WRs. You, especially, don't pay that kind of price for one. The only other position I'd even argue you'd do it less for is TE or IOL. You trade back and gain assets and take a WR. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You don't trade up, in the first, for WRs. You, especially, don't pay that kind of price for one. The only other position I'd even argue you'd do it less for is TE or IOL. You trade back and gain assets and take a WR.

You trade up for special players at any position other than ST. As you just saw, JJ is a probably a top 5 WR in the league right now. 

I'll take JJ and Rodgers for the next 5 years, you can have Love and Dillon. Put whoever else around them you want and I'll take my team over yours.