1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

15 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I remember a couple picks in particular - Ron Wolf grabs this Craig Newsome kid and my buddy and I are like "what the crap is this?"; Ted Thompson drafting Nick Collins and I'm like "this is WAY to high and this guy has great tools but is probably a tweener who'll never pan out." 

Very wrong on both of those. I was pretty content with that outcome. 

Nick Collins vs. Darnell Savage

Tell me they don't look pretty similar right now in their early years playing.

Nick was fast right away, but dropped picks.  Savage is looking equally fast, he just needs to learn to hang onto the ball.

I think we got a good one in Savage, let's hope he finds his groove like Collins did.

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Nick Collins vs. Darnell Savage

Tell me they don't look pretty similar right now in their early years playing.

Nick was fast right away, but dropped picks.  Savage is looking equally fast, he just needs to learn to hang onto the ball.

I think we got a good one in Savage, let's hope he finds his groove like Collins did.

Nick had 4.3X speed if I remember correctly (dont hold me to it). I thought Nick struggled at Safety to start his career and GB moved him to corner for awhile. Nick was much more raw than Savage. That would have been a great combo!

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Are you suggesting that it'd take a future FRP to move up to select Jefferson?

Knowing what Jefferson is today and knowing Gute tried to move up to get him, questioning in hindsight would fans give up Love and Stokes for Jefferson today? Because that's what would've taken to get him. I don't think any fans would've wanted to give up a future back then. Just an hindsight retrospect question.

1 hour ago, Kenrik said:

Nick had 4.3X speed if I remember correctly (dont hold me to it). I thought Nick struggled at Safety to start his career and GB moved him to corner for awhile. Nick was much more raw than Savage. That would have been a great combo!

As far as I know, Collins only played safety for the Packers.  He was listed at CB when we drafted him though.  And he did have 4.3 speed, that Savage, while fast, clearly does not.  I read somewhere that Collins' trouble was undiagnosed dyslexia, which led to a single digit wonderlic score, and a SAT/ACT too low to get into a major university, and he was jumping from lower level college to the NFL.  

37 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Knowing what Jefferson is today and knowing Gute tried to move up to get him, questioning in hindsight would fans give up Love and Stokes for Jefferson today? Because that's what would've taken to get him. I don't think any fans would've wanted to give up a future back then. Just an hindsight retrospect question.

No.  I am never one that likes to give up future picks, especially firsts.  Imagine we do that and have Jefferson, but Rodgers gets hurt and then Tim Boyle starts all season.  We end up with pick 4 and have the choice of:  Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Jaycee Horn, or the ultimate badass Justin Fields.  Hate, hate, hate giving up future unknown assets.  

And thinking now, what would that secondary look like without Stokes? We have Chandon Sullivan, our 3 games of Kevin King, if we are lucky Rasul Douglas is still available, Kabion Ento? 

44 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Again, I'm struggling to believe it's going to take a future FRP to move up ~10 spots to select Justin Jefferson.  There's really no history that suggests that's the price tag to move up, and I believe there's only been maybe 2 or 3 trades in the last decade involving future FRPs being dealt that didn't involve a QB being picked with that selection.

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

No.  I am never one that likes to give up future picks, especially firsts.  Imagine we do that and have Jefferson, but Rodgers gets hurt and then Tim Boyle starts all season.  We end up with pick 4 and have the choice of:  Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Jaycee Horn, or the ultimate badass Justin Fields.  Hate, hate, hate giving up future unknown assets.  

And thinking now, what would that secondary look like without Stokes? We have Chandon Sullivan, our 3 games of Kevin King, if we are lucky Rasul Douglas is still available, Kabion Ento? 

Teams are unwilling to deal future picks, and teams willing to move down what fair value, if not more then the value of the picks.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you think he is as fast as Collins? I will cede the point that I was mistaken in his 40 time, I thought he was a mid 4.4 guy.  

I don't think he's playing as fast as Collins yet.  I have seen him cover some serious ground with his makeup speed though.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I don't think he's playing as fast as Collins yet.  I have seen him cover some serious ground with his makeup speed though.

Nick Collins is the fastest guy I've seen in a packers uniform.  Do yall remember him running down Percy Harvin on a Kickoff return?

4 hours ago, Kenrik said:

I don't recall Collins playing corner.  I think he was always a safety.  Dude could move forward at light speed.

Savage ran a 4.36 at the Combine.  That speed has been on display lately.  I think he's turning the corner into being an elite safety.