1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Not sure I buy that one as being relevant here. I think they spent a 2nd because they felt it was a good value and they could either use him as a back up or trade bait

If you rewind the tape, Andrew Brandt wrote about how GB started negotiations with Rodgers during 2008 TC and got serious in September. The Packers inked him to his deal in early November with a record- setting contract that Packer Nation crapped their pants over because it was "too soon and he hadn't shown enough" . But GB had seen him in practice for 3 years and they were sold. That deal turned out to be prescient & fortuitous... and once again Packer Nation was indicted for being consistently wrong about how to build a winning  NFL franchise.

What was record setting about Rodgers first contract? My recollection was that it was very team friendly at the time.

Edited by incognito_man

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

What was record setting about Rodgers first contract? My recollection was that it was very team friendly at the time.

My recollection of that deal was this....

TT got him a starting QB deal once he proved that he could play.  I want to say it was not an elite QB deal, nor was it a below average starting QB deal.  It was middle of the road-ish.

It was not record setting at all.  It was simply paying Rodgers what he was worth at the time.

Rodgers second contract.  6 years.  63.52M.  

As opposed to playing out his rookie deal, which was 5 years, 7.7M.

I really can't recall if the $10M or so average on Rodgers' deal was on the high end.

It was certainly a lot of money to give a guy who had started just a few games.

But it was not a huge deal.  That one was signed 2013. 5 years 110M extension.  The next one was 2018.  4 years 134M extension.

In 17 seasons in the NFL, Rodgers has earned 263.3M dollars.  Divide it by 17 and that is $15.49M/season.

Just having fun with math.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Rodgers second contract.  6 years.  63.52M.  

As opposed to playing out his rookie deal, which was 5 years, 7.7M.

I really can't recall if the $10M or so average on Rodgers' deal was on the high end.

It was certainly a lot of money to give a guy who had started just a few games.

But it was not a huge deal.  That one was signed 2013. 5 years 110M extension.  The next one was 2018.  4 years 134M extension.

In 17 seasons in the NFL, Rodgers has earned 263.3M dollars.  Divide it by 17 and that is $15.49M/season.

Just having fun with math.

His second contract, the extension, was not a blockbuster deal. It made him well paid but was soon passed up by other QB deals and was a bit of a gamble that he could keep producing and developing. The gamble more than paid off and that very market friendly deal for an elite QB was a big reason we could be so deep to weather the storm in our super bowl year. (Having some extra draft capital from letting 4 go to NYJ didn’t hurt, either)

Things will get very interesting this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

His second contract, the extension, was not a blockbuster deal.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/23/remembering-aaron-rodgers-first-contract-extension-with-packers/

"Then a historic deal, Rodgers’ five-year, $110 million extension was the most lucrative per-season contract ever signed by an NFL player. It averaged $22 million per year, with a $33.25 million signing bonus and $54 million guaranteed at signing. He earned over $60 million in cash over the first three years."

"....Still, it’s amazing to look back to 2008, when the Packers rolled the dice and gave their new starting quarterback a contract extension after only seven starts. That decision – in accordance with the Packers’ backing of Rodgers over Favre during that long, difficult summer – should be viewed as one of the best pieces of forward thinking ever delivered by an NFL front office."

24 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/23/remembering-aaron-rodgers-first-contract-extension-with-packers/

"Then a historic deal, Rodgers’ five-year, $110 million extension was the most lucrative per-season contract ever signed by an NFL player. It averaged $22 million per year, with a $33.25 million signing bonus and $54 million guaranteed at signing. He earned over $60 million in cash over the first three years."

"....Still, it’s amazing to look back to 2008, when the Packers rolled the dice and gave their new starting quarterback a contract extension after only seven starts. That decision – in accordance with the Packers’ backing of Rodgers over Favre during that long, difficult summer – should be viewed as one of the best pieces of forward thinking ever delivered by an NFL front office."

You're quoting two different extensions. His first extension in 2008 was not record setting. It was 6yrs $63 mil.

The"record setting" quote is in reference to his 2nd extension in 2013. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

You're quoting two different extensions. His first extension in 2008 was not record setting. It was 6yrs $63 mil.

The"record setting" quote is in reference to his 2nd extension in 2013. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

He still got paid top 5 money only 7 starts into his career. I guess one could say it was team friendly in a sense that he wasn't the highest paid player in the game like he has been but he still got paid a lot.

2 hours ago, StatKing said:

He still got paid top 5 money only 7 starts into his career. I guess one could say it was team friendly in a sense that he wasn't the highest paid player in the game like he has been but he still got paid a lot.

It was a lot, and definitely questioned by the fan base that had only seen a small sample and not the continued growth behind the scenes,but you have to pay QBs on their second deal which is why you  hope you have one that is worth it. Within a year and definitely 2 years later there were lesser players making more.

Aaron got a deal that showed the team’s confidence in him but the team made a very good move for the future.  The gamble paid off and the Lombardi came home, I only wish the next year that defense could have been just a little bit better and our Ferrari of an offense could have gotten some snow tires in January. 

Edited by Refugee

6 hours ago, Refugee said:

It was a lot, and definitely questioned by the fan base that had only seen a small sample and not the continued growth behind the scenes,but you have to pay QBs on their second deal which is why you  hope you have one that is worth it. Within a year and definitely 2 years later there were lesser players making more.

Aaron got a deal that showed the team’s confidence in him but the team made a very good move for the future.  The gamble paid off and the Lombardi came home, I only wish the next year that defense could have been just a little bit better and our Ferrari of an offense could have gotten some snow tires in January. 

Defense wasnt the reason we lost in 2011. They were horrible statistically but we were blowing teams out that year by halftime and sitting on leads. Offense just sucked a big one in the playoffs against the Giants.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Yes, I agree. It wasn't a record setting deal :)

So it not being record setting makes it team friendly? Total dollar amount is irrelevant. What matters is the way its structured. Rodgers got paid more than Cousins on his last deal but his contract is a thousand times more team friendly because he signed it with years left on former contract and it wasn't fully guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

So it not being record setting makes it team friendly? Total dollar amount is irrelevant. What matters is the way its structured. Rodgers got paid more than Cousins on his last deal but his contract is a thousand times more team friendly because he signed it with years left on former contract and it wasn't fully guaranteed.

His contract was both team-friendly as it played out and it also was not record setting. It was both. Not necessarily one because of the other, but absolutely it was both things.

• 4 weeks later...