1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Totally agree.  He had amazing talent around him the entire time at Ohio State.  That is not the case now.

I feel like he is a much faster athlete than Love.  Stronger arm.  Pure physical attributes.

He reads things slowly right now.  He's skittish due to the poor line.  And he may never be comfortable throwing into the pro windows.

And I can say all of that about Love right now, too.  Only Fields is a superior athlete to Love.

To me, the ball looks like it comes out with more velocity and a compact throwing motion with Love. He also looked more natural in the pocket. Fields is the more natural athlete, but Love is plenty fine for this system, I don't want a running QB, they always end up banged up.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

To me, the ball looks like it comes out with more velocity and a compact throwing motion with Love. He also looked more natural in the pocket. Fields is the more natural athlete, but Love is plenty fine for this system, I don't want a running QB, they always end up banged up.

Okay, now we are nitpicking a throwing motion.  End of the day, I don't care what the motion looks like.  Fields has a stronger arm.  Any QB coach can clean up a motion, if needed.  But I see nothing wrong with how Fields throws a ball.

And we are talking about "looking natural" in a pocket.  Which is cringe worthy.  Love did not look comfortable against the Chiefs.  Much of that due to the MLF gameplan.  Fields doesn't look comfortable either, because of the pure beating he took last year.

Look, I'm not knocking Love.  I'm better than good with him.  

But, Fields simply has a stronger arm and is the better athlete.

I really don't care about what you prefer, but if you were offered the choice between Love and Fields, let's say they were in the same draft class and both available for GB to pick....the choice is pretty easily Fields.  He's just the more talented of the two, based on pure ability.

And that doesn't mean that Fields will eventually succeed and Love will not.  They could easily both succeed or both fail.  It has as much to do with their coaches and talent around them than anything else.  Fields has his second HC and OC in 2 years...and really no weapons to go with a so-so offensive line.

Love has guys around him.  One of them a sure fire first ballot HOF with 3 years left on his deal.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Okay, now we are nitpicking a throwing motion.  End of the day, I don't care what the motion looks like.  Fields has a stronger arm.  Any QB coach can clean up a motion, if needed.  But I see nothing wrong with how Fields throws a ball.

And we are talking about "looking natural" in a pocket.  Which is cringe worthy.  Love did not look comfortable against the Chiefs.  Much of that due to the MLF gameplan.  Fields doesn't look comfortable either, because of the pure beating he took last year.

Look, I'm not knocking Love.  I'm better than good with him.  

But, Fields simply has a stronger arm and is the better athlete.

I really don't care about what you prefer, but if you were offered the choice between Love and Fields, let's say they were in the same draft class and both available for GB to pick....the choice is pretty easily Fields.  He's just the more talented of the two, based on pure ability.

And that doesn't mean that Fields will eventually succeed and Love will not.  They could easily both succeed or both fail.  It has as much to do with their coaches and talent around them than anything else.  Fields has his second HC and OC in 2 years...and really no weapons to go with a so-so offensive line.

Love has guys around him.  One of them a sure fire first ballot HOF with 3 years left on his deal.

Fields has a stronger arm because you keep saying he does? Leading up to the draft I don't think you will find many pro personnel people that thought that. 

Jordan Love NFL Draft 2020: Scouting Report for Green Bay Packers' Pick | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Justin Fields NFL Draft 2021: Scouting Report for Chicago Bears QB | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

19 minutes ago, R T said:

Explain the differences to me.  I am not seeing them.  Both have strong arms.

From what I've seen in the NFL from Fields and Love.

Fields has the stronger arm.  And that shouldn't take anything away from Love.  His is fine, too.  Packer Raymond is right in my book, the Love throwing motion is more compact and just looks better. 

Grades of 88 for Love.  93 for Fields.

Jake Locker/Kaepernick comparison for Love.  Dak Prescott for Fields.

All from the "sources" above.

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Explain the differences to me.  I am not seeing them.  Both have strong arms.

From what I've seen in the NFL from Fields and Love.

Fields has the stronger arm.  And that shouldn't take anything away from Love.  His is fine, too.  Packer Raymond is right in my book, the Love throwing motion is more compact and just looks better. 

Grades of 88 for Love.  93 for Fields.

Jake Locker/Kaepernick comparison for Love.  Dak Prescott for Fields.

All from the "sources" above.

I'd give the edge to Fields in arm strength and as an athlete, but I don't think he has proper field vision or pocket awareness.  There's reasons for why they aren't letting this guy throw the football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd give the edge to Fields in arm strength and as an athlete, but I don't think he has proper field vision or pocket awareness.  There's reasons for why they aren't letting this guy throw the football.

Very slow to process.  Locks onto his primary guy, too.

He also has very little to work with in terms of skill guys and the o-line.

And to be fair, I doubt he had to go through much of a read or progression at Ohio State.

Whereas I feel like Love did and is probably better than Fields at that right now.

I'm not gonna argue or forecast the tallest midget, but at this point I'll go ahead and say I question Love's arm talent. At the combine, during 7 on 7, and off season training is one thing, but any time he has to throw off platform in a game, it's been a problem for him. And since it's the NFL you better be able to do so. Don't know if that falls under the category of arm talent for some, but I think it's all that matters, and as of right now, its an issue

Edited by cannondale

On 9/20/2022 at 9:45 AM, Packerraymond said:

Outside of Ohio State where he played with nothing but 1st round skill players, where has he shown this? He doesn't see it at the pro level, throws late, puts his eyes down when he's pressured. Don't think he's ever going to be comfortable throwing into pro windows. I've got him 5/5 for the 2021 1st rounders right now.

I mean, let's not pretend like Chicago has done any favors trying to make him successful.

• Like 3

Like many posters here, I guess I can talk all day about Jordan Love's upside and downside. And excuse my ignorance if  my comments should go in another category, but it seems to me that we're begging a basic question: What happens at the end of this year to Love with the team? Perhaps some draft talk is still too early, but then again, maybe it's not.

It seems like a given that barring injury or the unexpected, Aaron Rodgers will be with the team for both this year and next based on the new contract. But will Love be back next season? His years of a cheap contract will have come and gone, right? And the team has to bite some sort of bullet...Do you keep Love and also draft another 1st or 2nd round QB to teach for a year until Rodgers leaves? Is it a given the Rodgers will leave after the 2023-24 season? Then there is the dual problems both safeties present: Do you want to resign both Amos and Savage? Can the team even afford to sign both? Hey, there are two real nice safeties that Tankathon now lists as available toward the end of Round One of this spring's NFL draft-- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M, 6-3, 200 and Jordan Battle, Alabama, 6-1, 206... (gotta love a defender named 'Battle'). There also are two interesting quarterbacks in the early rounds according to Tankathon Anthony Richardson, Florida, 6-4, 232 and Tanner McKee, Stanford, 6-6, 228.

Grab some competition for Love next year in the first round, or do we go defense first and a backup QB later? Or none of the above?

Love has improved considerably this year.  It's pretty obvious.  Was ready to write the dude off but now thinking he might be alright.  This is year 3.  We don't have to do anything.  If Rodgers comes back great you keep them both.  It will get interesting the year after that though.  In that case we will either have to pick up Love's 5th year option (unlikely) negotiate a new contract, or trade him.  A lot will depend on if Rodgers plays in 2024 and if Love continues to progress.  

Don't expect Love to be traded as it's doubtful we'll get an offer worthwhile.  So expect them both back next year.  After that well guess we'll see.