2020 Draft Round One Recap - Winners and losers

RaidersAreOne

The Browns and Jets are huge winners. Not often you get OTs that good outside of the top 9 picks. I'm convinced Mekhi Becton would've been a top 8 pick and potentially the #4 overall without the failed drug tests. Jedrick Wills is about as safe and pro ready as OT prospects get. 

The Broncos are big winners, not because they added the best WR in the draft in Jerry Jeudy (that goes to the Cowboys), but because they got a guy who gets easy separation and is going to be a very friendly target for their young QB. That's a developmental dream. 

The Vikings did a marvelous job replacing Diggs with what is essentially a faster Adam Thielen in Justin Jefferson

It may not be exceptional value by any means, but the Chiefs drafted a kid in Clyde Edwards-Helaire who is going to be a headache for opposing defenses. What a scheme fit.

Edited by SaveOurSonics

49 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I am low on Murray (lack instincts to me) so to trade up in the first to get him makes no sense to me. 

I thought I was the only one on this plant that thought the same.  His game tape against quality teams stinks.

• Like 2

I'll say this as well. I could not be happier that the 49ers didn't end up with Lamb/Jeudy/Ruggs/Jefferson. Best moment of the draft for me was when they selected Javon Kinlaw (who is really overrated on his own). 

I do like Brandon Aiyuk (especially in that Shanahan offense), but I think SF got caught thinking of the draft as a whole picture rather than each pick in a vacuum. Sometimes that's a good strategy, but in this case I think they missed out on perennial Pro Bowl talents. 

I'm not a Tristan Wirfs fan and I'm pleasantly surprised that NFL front offices agreed that he was the 4th best OT prospect of this class. That said, it was an appropriate location in the draft to take him. 

One of the worst picks per my reports was Miami taking Austin Jackson a few picks later. Jackson is one of the most overrated prospects in this class and received a 3rd round grade from me. Dude needs a ton of work. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 4

Did well:

Vikings did very well. Gladney was one of my favorites.

9ers taking Kinlaw makes an already scary dline, terrifying.

Broncos getting Jeudy was a huge get for them. Jeudy, Sutton n Fant are gonna put up some #'s with Lock (so long as he keeps progressing).

Not so much: 

Packers for obvious reasons imo

Not a fan of the Chargers draft. Don't like Herbert and Murray, while I think he's alright, didn't like the fact they had to pull a trade to get him.

1 hour ago, Elky said:

No ****, Sherlock. Maybe you can replace Booger as ESPN's Captain Obvious.

15 minutes earlier....

They haven't played a single snap.

andy-samberg-uhh.gif?width=400&name=andy

What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to post a thread like this when these kids haven't played. Remember when everyone trashed Seattle for "reaching" on Bruce Irvin? Ended up being a productive player for Seattle.

So a thread like this is ridiculous, but you saying things like....

Lol Packers are going to return to the dark ages when Rodgers retires.

LOVE SUCKS

...is totally different?     

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Elky said:

No ****, Sherlock. Maybe you can replace Booger as ESPN's Captain Obvious.

What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to post a thread like this when these kids haven't played. Remember when everyone trashed Seattle for "reaching" on Bruce Irvin? Ended up being a productive player for Seattle.

Productive player, sure. Worthy of the #15 overall pick? Debatable. 

3 of the pass rushers who went soon after him (and were more widely considered to be "good picks") were Melvin Ingram (Pro Bowler), Chandler Jones (Pro Bowler), and Whitney Mercilus (probably the better player). 

Besides, it's just a fun exercise that everyone knows is coming following the 1st round. No reason to post just to be the forum wet blanket. 

• Like 1

These threads are always less "winners and losers" and more, "teams who drafted guys i like at value spots" with a sprinkle of, "filled a big need".  So in that spirit, for me:

Winners:

-CIN and WAS.  Made the obvious picks.  Gold star.

-KC. Not really sure their was a true "1st round RB", but Clyde Edwards-Helaire is going to be a monster in that offense.  Really talented back, landing in a perfect scheme really puts it over the edge.

-ARI.  Lots of clambering to "get Kyler protection", but i feel like with the way he plays and in that scheme...they'll probably be able to sort that out elsewhere.  Feels like a landing spot that will probably be able to think outside the box enough, to really make the most of Simmons unique versatility.  Good landing spot for a good player, and value pick if they use him right.

-NYJ and CLE.  Getting top-end OT prospects to fill needs and protect young franchise QBs with those picks on the fringe of the Top-10, is just really solid value.

-DAL. Having a receiver like Lamb just drop into their lap, and not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  Going to be an interesting three-pronged offense there if they can figure out how to spread the ball around well enough via Dak.

-SF. Basically managed to rejig their DLine to save a ton of money, with what shouldn't be much of a drop-off if at all with what Kinlaw can do.  Don't like Aiyuk as a prospect personally, but if there's a landing spot that made sense for him...it's Shannahan.  He'll probably blow up there.

Losers:

-MIA.  They did the thing you'd expect, grabbing a QB and pairing them with an OT.  But it's like...a fragile QB, paired with a massive project of an OT who seems kinda soft.

-OAK.  I actually don't have a problem with the Ruggs pick.  He's a dynamic weapon who can use his speed in so many different ways.  But the fiddling to get there seemed weird, and then they went what felt like waaay of the board with Arnette.  Obviously they see something they really like there, but it was a weird one for me.

-PHI.  For not finding a way to go up and get one of the other WRs who seemed within reach.  Reagor is fine i guess, but feels like settling after having some of those other guys fall so close.

-SEA.  Barely worth mentioning, as it feels like pretty much a given at this point that they'll do something weird in the 1st round, and make up for it by crushing the rest of it.

and last but not least for me...

-JAX.  Not for making particularly terrible picks necessarily...but for making it feel like this organization is just stuck on an endless treadmill.  Lose a star corner and about to lose a stud pass rusher.  Walk away from two 1st round picks including a Top-10 with...a pair of athletic "maybes" at CB and DE?  Basically feels like trying to fill a bucket with holes in it, where things are running out faster than they're coming in.  Just kinda deflating, even if both guys have upside.  Continuing to basically ignore a derelict offense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

PHI.  For not finding a way to go up and get one of the other WRs who seemed within reach.  Reagor is fine i guess, but feels like settling after having some of those other guys fall so close.

Just out of curiosity,  who from pick 10 thru 16 did you all believe would trade down?

Browns - Wills not trading trying to protect Baker 

Jets- Becton not trading trying to protect Darnold

Raiders- Ruggs not trading

TB-Wirfs traded up to protect Tom

SF- Kinlaw (possible but doubtful)

Den - Jeudy Not trading

ATL -Terrell not trading (because Dallas might take their CB) with very next pick?

There might of been 1 team willing to trade back and even that is debatable since the 49ers clearly wanted to replace Buckner at DT and there was no guarantee he'd last to 21.

The Jets could of but would of missed out on the top 5 OT, then what? They too go Reagor, Jefferson? Isaiah Wilson?

I feel like the browns hit a double with WIlis at 10 good player and a good value at 10. 

The top 10 everyone seemed to make the right pick, a part from maybe Herbet and Tua, time will tell. 

Ruggs over Juedy and Ceedee is interesting bordering on a bad pick.

a bunch of the corners seem like bad picks. I thought Atlanta made the wrong pick, over drafting Neal in 20?16 and then did the same this year with their corner pick, drafting for need and concept over BPA. 

Overall this seems like one of the best 1st rounds from all teams with the least amount of head scratching picks, letting the GMs just do their job seems to help.