2020 Draft Pick #28 - Patrick Queen

coordinator0

What the scouts had to say to Bob McGinn about Queen

3. PATRICK QUEEN, LSU (6-0, 229, 4.50, 1-2): 

Queen is a third-year junior who wasn’t even starting until Michael Divinity was suspended early in the season. “I think Queen’s the second-best player in the draft,” said one scout who designated Chase Young as No. 1. “Well-built. Explosive runner. Guy makes plays. He’s not an Alpha dog. That’s OK as long as the ‘mike’ can run it.” Divinity called the defense before the suspension and the more experienced Jacob Phillips played an instrumental role next to Queen. “He’s not going to be Ray Lewis mentality,” another scout said. “It hasn’t been his thing to this point because he’s only been a one-year starter. Had he started for more than one year I think he would have grown into that role more.” Queen started just 16 games in three seasons, finishing with 131 tackles (17 ½ for loss), four sacks and no forced fumbles. He posted a Wonderlic of 24. “Divinity made the calls,” said a third scout. “That’s why it took so long for Queen to get on the field. He’s a smart kid but he’s not very vocal.” Queen is from Ventress, La. “He is a straight-line fast guy,” said a fourth scout. “Besides that, I don’t think he does much well. He’s not very athletic in space. He doesn’t break down well. He misses a ton of tackles. Not physical at all taking on and getting off blocks. I don’t think he has great instincts. In coverage, he kind of drops to spots. He’s not a man-cover athlete for being that size.”

Sounds like there were some pretty polarising takes on him. 

One guy says he's the 2nd best player in the draft, and another says he isn't athletic, doesn't have great instincts and can't cover. O.o

“Oh absolutely. Which is why it’s very difficult for me to gauge how I feel about him exactly. Early in the season it’s hard for me to distinguish between him and Jordyn Brooks. However second half of the season and it’s hard for me to distinguish between he and say... Devin Bush Jr. as a talent... heck, one could argue he was even more disruptive hence the defensive MVP.

But the Devins’ (White and Bush) gave us a couple seasons of that production, having performed in their age 19 and age 20 seasons at a high level. But they also went 5th and 10th respectively in the 2019 draft. So with Queen this could be a crazy but low scenario. At his best I think I like him more than I liked Devin Bush, so obtaining THAT level of player at pick 28 would be an INSANE value.

It’s also explainable why he likely didn’t play above Jacob Phillips considering Phillips has the better “thumper” frame to play next to the Devin White, while White could play more of the rover role that Queen plays now. But he still was only a part time player at the beginning of the season and that still begs questioning. Was he immature, slow to pickup the playbook, not as good of a practice player? There is definitely a lot to unpack there. But he’s still pretty darn young at only 20 and if NFL version of PQ looks like his late season form... there might not be a better first round value than what Queen night present. There doesn’t necessarily seem to be any “safe” picks for us to make late I round one outside of maybe Antoine Winfield Jr.“

That probably most enraptures how I feel about Patrick Queen as a player. We’ll see how the pick turns out.

• Like 3