2020 Draft Pick #28 - Patrick Queen

coordinator0

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Finding that thumper to do the dirty work is going to be important. I was more interested in Malik Harrison as a 2nd/3rd round guy than I was in Queen because I think that was the bigger gap in our LB core now that we let Bynes leave. 

Maybe they think Alaka is that guy, I don't really know much about him. Board I don't think has the size/strength to do it.

Might be Jake Ryan and Alaka at that thumper role. 

Per my model, these are the five best values from Round 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft, weighing the players' projected output against where they were selected:

1) Patrick Queen, LB, Baltimore Ravens

Drafted No. 28 overall.

My "neutral" team model, which ranks players independent of team fit, had Queen as the 16th best player overall. So the Ravens getting him at Pick No. 28 -- especially considering his fit on that roster -- represents the best value in the first round, per my model. The 12.5 tackles for loss he produced last season at LSU is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the predictive metrics that show why he's such a great value. Queen had 16 pressures (tied for the most among linebackers in the SEC) on 76 pass-rush snaps (third-most among linebackers in the SEC), per PFF. He was also super efficient in coverage, recording the second-fewest yards allowed per coverage snap (0.5 yards) despite having the most snaps in coverage by any linebacker in the SEC (363).

What the data is basically telling us is that Queen is an incredibly versatile player who projects to help the second level of any defense. But his impact should be even more pronounced now that he's paired with the Ravens. In 2019, Baltimore blitzed at the highest rate of any team since 2016 (50.8 percent), per Next Gen Stats. When the Ravens rushed four or fewer pass rushers, they only managed a 17.1 QB pressure rate (the only team under 19 percent on non-blitzes). Queen's presence on the field forecasts an increase in their ability to be multiple and pressure opposing QBs without having to rely on blitzing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110984/article/2020-nfl-draft-ceedee-lamb-among-day-1s-top-value-picks

• Like 1