1.31 - MIN: Jeff Gladney CB/TCU (Jersey #20)

RpMc

42 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

There area a lot of those sorts of geographically/ culturally based terms, sayings, slang, and colloquialisms that a lot of people never notice. Not always an intelligence thing, usually just a product of where they grew up.

Yeah, there are many dialects of English in the Unites States. We shouldn't presume our dialect to be better than other dialects. Most people learn a dialect based on the discourse communities they are around. Of course, the US has a huge number of discourse communities, many of them regional and/or cultural dialects of English: Black English, Latino English, Rural Southern, Urban Southern, Standard Upper-Midwest, Maine Yankee, East-Texas Bayou, Boston Blue-Collar, etc... Many of these dialects have their own highly developed and internally consistent grammars, and some of theses dialects' usage norms actually make more linguistic sense than do the Standard Written English counterparts. 

Standard Written English is not a dialect that many people actually speak verbally. If one wants to advance their career very far in professional environments one advances their options greatly by becoming proficient, minimally, at both Standard Written English and Politically Correct English.

I slip back and forth between several dialects almost automatically depending on who I am around. I think most people adapt to different dialects at work, at home, and when out with the guys. When I am talking to my peers I tend automatically slip into the Rural midwestern English used by most of my peers. For example, I use the construction "Where's it at?" instead of "Where is it?".

We could enter into the debate between prescriptive linguists and descriptive linguists. One thing that bothers me is once a prescriptive rule is introduced it is very hard to eradicate, no matter how ridiculous.

It doesn't matter to me what dialect the Vikings players use as long as they are all communicating fine. If they want to become an announcer after their playing career they'll have to do a better job of learning mainstream dialects than Emmitt Smith was ever able to accomplish.

Edited by Cearbhall
There/Their/They're
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Yeah, there are many dialects of English in the Unites States. We shouldn't presume our dialect to be better than other dialects. Most people learn a dialect based on the discourse communities they are around. Of course, the US has a huge number of discourse communities, many of them regional and/or cultural dialects of English: Black English, Latino English, Rural Southern, Urban Southern, Standard Upper-Midwest, Maine Yankee, East-Texas Bayou, Boston Blue-Collar, etc... Many of these dialects have their own highly developed and internally consistent grammars, and some of theses dialects' usage norms actually make more linguistic sense than do the Standard Written English counterparts. 

Standard Written English is not a dialect that many people actually speak verbally. If one wants to advance their career very far in professional environments one advances there options greatly by becoming proficient, minimally, at both Standard Written English and Politically Correct English.

I slip back and forth between several dialects almost automatically depending on who I am around. I think most people adapt to different dialects at work, at home, and when out with the guys.

We could enter into the debate between prescriptive linguists and descriptive linguists. One thing that bothers me is once a prescriptive rule is introduced it is very hard to eradicate, no matter how ridiculous.

It doesn't matter to me what dialect the Vikings players use as long as they are all communicating fine. If they want to become an announcer after their playing career they'll have to do a better job of learning mainstream dialects than Emmitt Smith was ever able to accomplish.

their*

6 minutes ago, whitehops said:

their*

Are you trying to say my dialect is wrong? Do you think your dialect is better than mine?

Just kidding. Thanks. I fixed that. I'll never be a hardcore grammarian, but I have been around plenty inflexible prescriptive linguists including a close relative that is an English teacher that drives me nuts with all sorts of prescriptive nonsense. I try not to write to her because she doesn't seem to mind spoken english in a wider variety of dialects.

But what I was trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with Gladney's dialect. I think Twitter has a dialect all of its own along with several sub-dialects, none of which I have studied.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The matchup Bercich refers to against Hakeem Butler last year was as good as advertised.

5'10" Gladney vs 6'6" Butler, covered him about half the game. Allowed one catch on 4 targets for 11 yards, capped off with a game ending 4th down PBU.

Couple of highlights:

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

Some of the tackles close to the line and blitzes kinda reminded me of Winfield.

I think he’ll be perfect as our nickel CB because of these reasons. Since we run nickel sets over 50% of the time, that position is very important. Also a lot of CBs have said playing nickel is actually harder than playing outside, so we need someone of his caliber to play that role. 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent breakdown of Gladney by Nick Olson: https://zonecoverage.com/2020/front-page/what-jeff-gladney-brings-to-mike-zimmers-defense/

Positives and negatives illustrated with multiple film clips. 

Projects he'll be a day one starter. Not mentioned in the article, Olson also thinks Gladney will be better suited to staying outside than learning the nickel as a rookie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

Excellent breakdown of Gladney by Nick Olson: https://zonecoverage.com/2020/front-page/what-jeff-gladney-brings-to-mike-zimmers-defense/

Positives and negatives illustrated with multiple film clips. 

Projects he'll be a day one starter. Not mentioned in the article, Olson also thinks Gladney will be better suited to staying outside than learning the nickel as a rookie. 

Sounds like Hughes is the most likely nickel candidate.  If they're the best two, maybe we see Gladney and Hughes outside with base personnel and either Hill/Boyd/Dantzler coming in to kick Hughes inside in nickel.

• Like 1