Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

Rodgers is definitely the QB for 2020 and 2021. And even 2022 if he lights the league on fire in 2021 (unlikely). Packers like to take the slow approach to moving on from QBs. 

At that point ARod is about to be 40 and probably just retires. And Love is loaded with coaching and knowledge at that point. 

If I got Rodgers on my team, and he's basically only got Davante Adams worth of any note (plus a decent OL) - I'm pulling my A out getting him more weapons.

I'm drafting Mims, CEH or Higgins. Then I'm looking at trading some capital AGAIN to come back down in the 2nd round and getting him ANOTHER weapon.

It's Rodgers. Even BB tried getting 42 year old TB weapons with the Harry pick and Brown trade.

5 hours ago, joru1000 said:

Is laughable.

And the Packers fans pulling the mental gymnastics to defend it, even more so. Like, at least Browns and Texans fans get pissed at their FO's when they make moronic moves. But yeah, Love is a heck of a reach and on top of that they traded up for him. Why? Who was going to jump them for Love at the end of Round 1? Rodgers is guaranteed until 2022. By then they'll have 2 more chances to draft a superior QB, who didn't throw 17 picks in a bad conference, or God knows who becomes available by then.

Just an awful pick to make an awful situation that didn't exist 3 hours ago.

This looks like a post I read exactly about the Packers selecting ARod in 2005. And who would of traded up for Love? Try the Colts at 34 who met with Love a ton of times. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

What makes this (presumably) even more frustrating for A-Rod, is that he probably finally felt his team addressed the defense sufficiently enough to have deep playoff runs. He did seem more content on the sidelines; I seem to remember a smile or a wink during a strong defensive series for GB one game? So, in his mind, he's thinking - give me weapons, we have the D! 

I see some GB fans trying to justify this, but I'm sure not many (if any) would have been happy with a mock draft sending Love to them. You'd swap Love for a weapon, or even a CB/S/LB wouldn't you.

GB are there or thereabouts NOW. Maximise it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Utah State, is that the football factory like Ohio ST or is that the High School down the street.   100 interceptions blame it on teammates. Great pick just ask Mel Kiper and Bucky Brooks!

I wanted to chuckle, but then I remembered they produced Bobby Wagner for the Seahawks. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What makes this (presumably) even more frustrating for A-Rod, is that he probably finally felt his team addressed the defense sufficiently enough to have deep playoff runs. He did seem more content on the sidelines; I seem to remember a smile or a wink during a strong defensive series for GB one game? So, in his mind, he's thinking - give me weapons, we have the D! 

I see some GB fans trying to justify this, but I'm sure not many (if any) would have been happy with a mock draft sending Love to them. You'd swap Love for a weapon, or even a CB/S/LB wouldn't you.

GB are there or thereabouts NOW. Maximise it!

I don’t mind it. For me, you can see the decline already from Rodgers. He’s not an MVP candidate anymore. His accuracy is slipping and his athleticism is on the decline. This isn’t a Brady or Manning situation where the player stayed good at their age because of being cerebral. Rodgers relies on athleticism a lot. His fundamentals have never been that great, but before his athletic ability made that moot. Not so much now. 

Now, on the other side, they absolutely could have gone the route of getting Rodgers another weapon. Rodgers is locked into GB through 2021 because of his contract and the dead money. So I can’t imagine them not trying to get weapons from here. The whole draft is still to come and for all we know, they could be cooking up a trade or something. Basically, if they go into the season not adding another potential weapon, that’s obviously a huge fail. They need to add a WR or TE or RB here on day two. 

My ultimate point is I see it from both sides. Both sides have their pluses and minuses. Getting all bent out of shape about it isn’t going to do anything though. Especially with what’s going on. Perspective is key. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

we have really have no idea if Jordan Love is another Mahomes or just a bust. Or anything in between. He could be great or aweful. Nobody knows.

As for the Packers, they see that Rodgers is not going to be able to carry them to a Lombardi for much longer if any longer at all especially not on a huge caphit and are ready to move on after 2021.

So 2 years of Rodgers then Love.

Take Love out of the equation. Why would you do this when you have Rogers who is only 35 years old. He good for at least another 5 years. That what, 30 year old in today game. He doesn't get touched. Now you have a QB that his only thought is you betrayed him and with a major contract. You also passed up weapons to help him. So its now looks like you gave up a chance at a SB for the next 2 years.  I don't understand taking a gamble on a QB that you have no idea he can make a jump to the next level while you gave up on one of the best.  Rodgers trade value  is now zero. Every team know you have to get rid of him. They will get pennies on the dollar.

21 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

I don’t mind it. For me, you can see the decline already from Rodgers. He’s not an MVP candidate anymore. His accuracy is slipping and his athleticism is on the decline. This isn’t a Brady or Manning situation where the player stayed good at their age because of being cerebral. Rodgers relies on athleticism a lot. His fundamentals have never been that great, but before his athletic ability made that moot. Not so much now. 

Now, on the other side, they absolutely could have gone the route of getting Rodgers another weapon. Rodgers is locked into GB through 2021 because of his contract and the dead money. So I can’t imagine them not trying to get weapons from here. The whole draft is still to come and for all we know, they could be cooking up a trade or something. Basically, if they go into the season not adding another potential weapon, that’s obviously a huge fail. They need to add a WR or TE or RB here on day two. 

My ultimate point is I see it from both sides. Both sides have their pluses and minuses. Getting all bent out of shape about it isn’t going to do anything though. Especially with what’s going on. Perspective is key. 

A fair post. We are jumping the gun a bit, and if GB add a ton of offensive weapons in the next couple of days then we look silly and it turns into a strong draft.

I do still think Rodgers is top 3 QB though, and he's certainly good enough to drive a team to the SB. I just think maximising what little time left you have with Rodgers now should have been priority 1, but I guess GB FO saw priority 1 as his succession plan. 

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Piss off your franchise QB who you can't get rid of until 2022 to take a crappy project QB's brehs.

Brett Farve probably wasn’t happy when he had a SB, another appearance, and 3 MVP’s when Rodgers was drafted while Farve knew he had a few years there 

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A fair post. We are jumping the gun a bit, and if GB add a ton of offensive weapons in the next couple of days then we look silly and it turns into a strong draft.

I do still think Rodgers is top 3 QB though, and he's certainly good enough to drive a team to the SB. I just think maximising what little time left you have with Rodgers now should have been priority 1, but I guess GB FO saw priority 1 as his succession plan. 

I’m not sure it even comes to priority. It could have just been that’s how their board fell. If they had Love as their last top prospect, then so be it. There is just so much that we don’t know. I get the reaction to it though, it was my initial reaction when I woke up and saw they drafted Love. 

4 hours ago, MossyMoss said:

Didn't Rodgers say he wants to play till 40? 

Head scratcher for me, since they were one game away from the super bowl last year, I would have thought building on that instead of finding a heir apparent for Rodgers would be top priority. 

Farve was literally one pass away from a SB, let alone a game, when they jettisoned him for Rodgers 

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

we have really have no idea if Jordan Love is another Mahomes or just a bust. Or anything in between. He could be great or aweful. Nobody knows.

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

It's the draft nobody knows the consequences. 

Super hot takes there, bruh.

I mean, for Love's development, the pick makes sense.  Watching Love play, it's pretty clear he's gonna need time to develop.  Like a good two years.  So you can't draft him on a team that needs a QB now.  So for that, it makes sense.

What makes no sense is the Packers still needing help at other positions, but not spending their pick there, and in fact, trading up, losing even more capital, to nab a QB for two years from now.  Rodgers got you to the NFCC, last year.  Two teams in your division look like they're in rebuild.  Your QB has already won a Super Bowl, and you just had the best season you've had in years.  If ever there was a time to try to win now, this is it.  Stupid, stupid pick.

Also Love sucks ***.