Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

8 hours ago, Drained said:

I just don't get it, Love isn't at all comparable to Rodgers, what makes them jump for him?

Crushing the Bears? 

13 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

This could end like Brady and Jimmy G

They'll get a lot more for Love, if it comes to that. 

Since I obviously can't throw any stones from my glass house 😎. Pushing the Love pick aside. How do you as an Organization  not take a single WR in what was suggested by many experts as  one of the Deepest WR classes in decades? Devin Funchess , really?

I'm sorry but that is absolutely inexcusable IMO. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

12 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

If LaFleur can get Rodgers to leave the team, that would be quite the statement.  

It's the same ball park as BOB wanting Hopking out because he doesn't like him. He's the best player, and as a coach, you've got to find a way of making it work

Getting rid of a top 5 QB is suicide, unless you can replace his production.

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It's the same ball park as BOB wanting Hopking out because he doesn't like him. He's the best player, and as a coach, you've got to find a way of making it work

Getting rid of a top 5 QB is suicide, unless you can replace his production.

That's not the same exact situation though.  

It was easier for Houston to get rid of Hopkins because he was a wideout. 

It's much more difficult for a team to build an offense around a single wideout.  It's almost nonsensical when you can find the same level of production in the draft.  

I think we're on the same page about QBs though.  Getting rid of a Top 5 talent is definitely suicide, but it becomes a major problem when the QB has more influence over the coach. 

And, that is the case in Green Bay.  That's why I'm saying that it's very possible that Rodgers could end up being traded.  

He wants control, and if he can't get that, then he'll go join another team that will give him more power.  No different than Brady's case.  

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Since I obviously can't throw any stones from my glass house 😎. Pushing the Love pick aside. How do you as an Organization  not take a single WR in what was suggested by many experts as  one of the Deepest WR classes in decades? Devin Funchess , really?

I mean, the Titans didn't, and I'm fine with it, because the board just didn't play out that way.  It was deep at other positions too, and if everyone else is spending their picks on WRs, that means other positions get undervalued.

Literally the only time I thought it made sense for the Titans to take a WR was the fifth pick, when Donovan Peoples-Jones was still there.  But Murchison was comparable and filled a bigger need, so I'm fine with it.

That and there's still UDFAs.  With this great class, it also means your UDFAs are more like sixth and seventh rounders now.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Because the value just simply wasn't there.  There were 6 WRs taken in the first 25 picks.  If you truly believe Jordan Love is a franchise QB, it'd be inexcusable to not select him.  The Packers would have had the ammunition to move had they not deal their 4th round pick to move up for a WR.  But after Mims went off the board at 59, the next WR didn't get drafted until 80.  So you're either overdrafting a WR or you stick with your board?  I don't think it was by design.

On 4/25/2020 at 5:58 AM, RamblinMan99 said:

It's very possible that if Love gains traction early, Aaron Rodgers could be heading out.  

I definitely could see Rodgers going to another team like Brady did, but seeing him at New England would make me sick.

It's a total copout move and Belichick would be all for it.  

Rodgers contract makes it nearly impossible for them to move on from him for at least 2 years.

If you view Rodgers' last contract as a mistake (it is), surrounding an aging, declining QB with weapons he isn't very good at using recently is just doubling down on the mistake. Instead, the FO and coaching staff has realized the best way to build a better offense is by turning to the SF approach. Drafting a rookie WR would do nothing to improve this offense in the short-term. Drafting to supplement the running game to take pressure off Rodgers will.

It's preferable to overpay a QB and make his life easier than it is to overpay a QB and make his life harder. It sucks we can't focus resources elsewhere and rely on Rodgers to be a magician, but it's just not reality at this point. Rodgers' contract is a sunk cost and doubling-down on him is an exercise in futility at this point. FO clearly had a come-to-jesus realization of this and are building a run-first offense. Coincidentally, Rodgers will likely look better than he has recently leaning on his OL and re-vamped running game.

Jordan Love fits in because GB plays the long-game with the QB position and there were no WRs available at that point that would have moved the needle over Rodgers remaining viable career. GB already added two WRs to their roster from 2019 before the draft (Funchess and St Brown) to give them flexibility. A potential QB for the next 10-15 years is the fruit of that setting themselves up for that flexibility. This move paid off last time. Love has all the non-teachable traits you could ever want in a franchise QB and the staff voted to trust their coaches to develop him.

Makes total sense when you look at the whole picture. Time will tell if it pays off!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because the value just simply wasn't there.  There were 6 WRs taken in the first 25 picks.  If you truly believe Jordan Love is a franchise QB, it'd be inexcusable to not select him.  The Packers would have had the ammunition to move had they not deal their 4th round pick to move up for a WR.  But after Mims went off the board at 59, the next WR didn't get drafted until 80.  So you're either overdrafting a WR or you stick with your board?  I don't think it was by design.

They could've moved up for one. I'd rather had Hamler, Mims, Pittman, etc over the picks you guys made in the 2nd and 3rd.