Kluber for AL Cy?

NateDawg

34 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Has Kluber locked up the AL Cy Young after today?

Dude has been freaking amazing. His 2nd half has been amazing. If it wasnt for this second half. They wouldnt of won 22games in a row, wouldnt of ran away with the division, wouldnt of taken over the best record in the AL, and wouldnt be two games away from having the best record. His post all star stat line is just amazing

1.92 ERA 10-1 3 complete games, 98.1 IP 129Ks to 10BB and opposing offenses have a .175 avg. NASTY!!!

If Kluber would of been healthy in the beginning of the season, I think he would of dominated this from beginning to end. Reality, that injury for him was a godsend. He got over worked in the playoffs last year. Him getting him being able to rest in the month of May really set him up for the rest of the season

I guess it wouldn't be a surprise. It's just not statistically supported. That would be a market-based decision. Only his strikeout number is better. Less wins, more losses, worse ERA, worse team record. Guess it doesn't matter too much. We will see who takes their team further into October.

14 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Think it goes to Sale.

not a fan, but think the voters are all about his Ks

I could see if you were comparing two pitcher against one another. With one being a strike out machine and the other not being a strike out machine, yeah I could see the voters being in all about the Ks. Comparing Sale and Kluber, both pitchers are about completely dominating hitters and making them look silly. The way Kluber has pitched, if he was healthy in the beginning of the season he would end the year with 300Ks. I think with how dominating Kluber has been over the 2nd half, that might give him the nod. I want to say this is how he won his first Cy Young, he had an amazing last 2months. Similar to what he is doing now, but he is better this year.

A lot of the cy young predictors have really started to grow a lead for Kluber. I want to say a couple weeks ago it was close but it has him pulling away

I think this might be dependent on if you think Kluber's BABIP is him or luck. That is why Sale has a lower FIP and higher WAR (despite the missed starts there is only like a 10 inning gap).

Kluber isn't known to be someone that can control his BABIP low like a Kershaw. But he also seems to be pitching differently. Really decreased the percent of time he throws his fastball and throwing more changes and sliders/curves (it looks like the system has trouble telling which one he throws). That has resulted in pretty singnificantly his best swinging strike percentage. Giving up less contact. However, batted ball data isn't that much better and while he is getting more soft contact he is also giving up slightly more hard contact. It was the medium contact that dropped.

If you think the BABIP is driven by him then I think he is CY, if you think it is more luck then it's Sale.

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Here is your AL Cy Young predictor: http://www.espn.com/mlb/features/cyyoung

I think we can all agree that it's between two guys.

With playoff rotations getting regulated, Kluber may not get any more starts. Not sure about Sale.

That ESPN thing is absolute garbage but yes it is between Kluber and Sale. 

And I'd give it to Kluber. A sub-2 DRA is insane. 

Sale is still my Cy Young award winner, although if Kluber wins it would be hard to be upset. For those who are of the mindset that it's Kluber and it's not close, I invite you to try this thought exercise commonly used in the MVP discussion: Which team would be worse off without their Cy Young candidate? The Red Sox would not be winning the division without Sale. Their record in games Sale does not start is 69-55, which puts them at a winning percentage behind the Yankees' winning percentage. In contrast, without Kluber, the Indians are still playing .609 ball and still moonwalking to the AL Central title. Just something to consider.

BTW, Sale's lead in fWAR is still 8.2 to 7.1, which is not only a huge lead in volume, but he also leads in fWAR on a per inning basis.

19 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

BTW, Sale's lead in fWAR is still 8.2 to 7.1, which is not only a huge lead in volume, but he also leads in fWAR on a per inning basis.

I don't think, in 2017 at least, we should be making quasi-significant decisions based off FIP and fWAR. The more traditional numbers (ERA) and modernly advanced numbers (DRA) favor Kluber.

Kluber also shows better in Statcast data. His average exit velocity is just under 1 mph lower and his average launch angle is 4.1º lower. xwOBA basically has them even though, which is when you defer even more to DRA. 

2 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I don't think, in 2017 at least, we should be making quasi-significant decisions based off FIP and fWAR. The more traditional numbers (ERA) and modernly advanced numbers (DRA) favor Kluber.

To your first statement: why? You're more well versed in this stuff than I am. I see fWAR referenced frequently here.

Archived