Day 2 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

The disconnect between fans of a team after a surprise selection versus how they would have reacted if you had done exactly the same in a mock draft days ago is something you love to see. 

It's all group think. You see the same 35-40 guys in the mock drafts of all the media hacks so you naturally build them into your own mocks. Then it's a total surprise when someone else is valued higher in the NFL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It's all group think. You see the same 35-40 guys in the mock drafts of all the media hacks so you naturally build them into your own mocks. Then it's a total surprise when someone else is valued higher in the NFL.

Yes, but and teams can make and do make bad picks

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yes, but and teams can make and do make bad picks

True, and sometimes they pick the media darling and that turns out to be a bad pick too. The interesting thing to know is whether a "reach" is a guy who the whole NFL values higher than the media, or if it's just one team who's pulled the trigger to the surprise of the other teams.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

True, and sometimes they pick the media darling and that turns out to be a bad pick too. The interesting thing to know is whether a "reach" is a guy who the whole NFL values higher than the media, or if it's just one team who's pulled the trigger to the surprise of the other teams.

Yeah, get that. The initial point was just a throwaway comment about how Packers fans probably not being that receptive to a Jordan Love pick at 24 in a mock 2 days ago (for example),  versus how they might feel about it waking up today now that has actually happened. I don't think being hostile to a selection/move in a mock from a fan's perspective is them being victim of group-think mentality. They just have firm ideas on the best perceived path forward for their team. 

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Bengals need to trade down and pickup some assets they can still get a get player if they drop 15 ish spots. They got holes and there are a ton of playmakers and lineman still. 

I wouldn't hate a trade down, but I wouldn't do it.  Josh Jones can start at RT right now and the Bengals have their bookends in Jonah Williams and Josh Jones.  Denzel Mims makes sense too.  Neither is there after a trade down.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Bengals need to trade down and pickup some assets they can still get a get player if they drop 15 ish spots. They got holes and there are a ton of playmakers and lineman still. 

Normally I’d agree but with the way the board fell the we are in a really good spot to select great value crossed with need (Denzel Mims, Josh Jones and Tee Higgins). 

There is almost certainly a handful of prospects with first round grades on our board still. They won’t be there 15 picks from now. 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Normally I’d agree but with the way the board fell the we are in a really good spot to select great value crossed with need (Denzel Mims, Josh Jones and Tee Higgins). 

There is almost certainly a handful of prospects with first round grades on our board still. They won’t be there 15 picks from now. 

Yeah, if we trade down, I can't see it being more than 5-6 picks, but I kind of think they should just stand pat and take their man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Are you worried about all the linebackers off the board? Could they 'reach' on a Logan Wilson perhaps? There's been talk of him in this range. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Are you worried about all the linebackers off the board? Could they 'reach' on a Logan Wilson perhaps? There's been talk of him in this range. 

All they really need is a sub package coverage LB.  Pratt and Bynes will be solid duo and they'll be in nickel 65% of the time anyway.  I think one of Wilson, Gay, or Davis-Gaither make it to 65.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

The linebacker run came at the worst time if that was the position we were eyeing, but it also pushed some really good prospects down the board so it wasn’t a total loss. 

I like Logan Wilson a lot. He’s a really good player so I wouldn’t be totally upset, but I wouldn’t be ecstatic about the value of going off-ball LB here compared to the other positions available (most notably OT and WR). 

The priority right now should be building around Burrow. Go get him one of the last high-end boundary receivers (Higgins, Mims) or go build up the offensive line (Jones). There will be linebackers available at the top of 3.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The linebacker run came at the worst time if that was the position we were eyeing, but it also pushed some really good prospects down the board so it wasn’t a total loss. 

I like Logan Wilson a lot. He’s a really good player so I wouldn’t be totally upset, but I wouldn’t be ecstatic about the value of going off-ball LB here compared to the other positions available (most notably OT and WR). 

The priority right now should be building around Burrow. Go get him one of the last high-end boundary receivers (Higgins, Mims) or go build up the offensive line (Jones). There will be linebackers available at the top of 3.

Agreed. I think Epenesa or YGM is tempting too