With the 32nd Pick the Chiefs Select: Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB LSU

Chiefer

3 hours ago, Edge said:

I got mixed feelings about the pick, but not because of CEH, but rather the positional value of drafting RBs early. I'm just not a fan of picking them within the first 2 rounds. On the other side CEH probably fits our offense the best and fills a position of need, so i get it why we drafted him. He's perfectly suited to play in our offense and it's probably going to be a lot of fun to watch him play for us. So yeah the player is great and fits into our system, so it's a great pick based on that. It's really just the positional value of the RB position that gets some negativity in for me. I also felt like a trade down would have been awesome, but i guess there probably wasn't that much of an interest to trade up from other teams.

For day 2 we'll see if an OL drops to us. I have my eye on Damien Lewis. Otherwise i hope we're going for defensive players in the next 2 rounds.

This is why I was so set against drafting a RB at #32. However, I also have the philosophy that there is no such thing as too much depth. A new starter makes for great depth. If Reid looks at CEH sees a better version of an All-Pro, near HoF player--go for it.

J

5 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Westbrook was 5'10 this dude is 5'6

5'7" and 207. Barry Sanders was 5'8".

He's short, not small. That's where the Sproles comparisons are off. Sproles was 175 with weights in his pockets. Sanders is actually a better comparison, though CEH is not nearly that elusive. 

2 hours ago, Edge said:

That would make sense and it would be sad, because when the 49ers traded up i thought there would be a good chance to trade down for us.

I was hoping for a trade down or CB or even McKinney but I can see why they chose Clydesdale.

13 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Only thing I don’t like is he’s my height lol. still a beast though dude weighs 210

Fireplug body types are very durable.

Some of the best RB in history have been squat and thick. I mentioned Sanders, but Emmitt Smith was 5'9" and slow. Priest holmes, obviously. One interesting name is Frank Gore, who is still active after 15 years. The best comp I have seen is Maurice Jones-Drew. MJD was 5'7" and 211. I can live with a player like MJD.

J

2 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Fireplug body types are very durable.

Some of the best RB in history have been squat and thick. I mentioned Sanders, but Emmitt Smith was 5'9" and slow. Priest holmes, obviously. One interesting name is Frank Gore, who is still active after 15 years. The best comp I have seen is Maurice Jones-Drew. MJD was 5'7" and 211. I can live with a player like MJD.

J

Yup, they’re also slippery and hard to see behind 6’5 average linemen. He can squeeze through holes that most RBs won’t be able too.

I don’t see MJD or Ray Rice, more Priest Holmes or a baby Barry. 

DEH has a lot more discipline than Barry, but not near the elusiveness. That said, there is no higher standard for elusive than Sanders or Sproles. 

I actually like the MJD comparison, not because of the style but because of the general game. He was a very effective receiver, who could also carry the rock. One year they gave it to him til he broke. The difference is the straight line speed versus quickness and balance. MJD was sub 4.4, but well over 7 in the cones. Unfortunately, CEH didn't run the 3-cone drill at the Combine, but he had great numbers in the jumps--just under 40" and over 10'.

With a speed guy like Williams for contrast, this can work.

I'm an LSU fan and I didn't expect Clydro to go in the 1st round but man I'm so happy he did. You guys got a good one. He's a great dude first and foremost, but he's a real good player. He's short but he's a way better downhill runner than you'd expect due to his insane lower body strength. Just watch the Alabama game alone and you'll see him break around 500 tackles. He'll fit perfect in your offense, by far the best pass catching RB in the draft. He's the type of guy who will make it in the NFL simply because he refuses not to, he was the hardest worker on an LSU team with Joe Burrow. He may be short but in the wise words of Ed Orgeron, Clyde is 6'4 270. 

• Like 2

Too summarize the pick.   I was mainly against RB early because I figured this guy or Moss would be available in the middle rounds,  and they fit perfect into the offense.

If Reid and Veach needed to take him earlier as others wanted him, I’m all on board.    Could care less about the RB’s everyone had ranked higher,  he’s a perfect fit for the offense and takes away some of the mid seasons struggles the offense had with sustaining drives 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kirill said:

If the plan was to add to Mahomes toybox we should have drafted 6'4 Michael Pittman Jr. Instead Reid had to get his gadget RB so we can throw more screens.

I dunno. CEH is more of an inside-out RB. He lacks speed to get outside. North/South, hitting the hole (he's got good vision), making tackles miss, running at some tacklers and boucing off them for more yards. We'll see.