2020 Day 2 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

Just now, hitnhope said:

No,  you typed something really stupid.  It is pretty well known by most that Brady was a 6th round pick.   If a Packer fan doesn't know that Jones was a 5th and Bakhtiari was a 4th, they really aren't paying much attention.   Your point would have made sense if I noted someone picked in round 3 or earlier.

We have made mistakes that don't take "expertise" to recognize.    In most places if you make a 134 million dollar mistake you get fired.   With some Packer fans it seems to be OKAY.  Even in the salary cap era.

You tell me why it is OK?   Your response tells me you are out of any real argument, but just don't want to hear the truth.

Ok, I see what you're saying now.  I just misunderstood what you were getting at.

I do agree that giving Rodgers the huge contract extension was a mistake IN HINDSIGHT, but you know what they say about hindsight.  If it were me I would have waited one more season to make sure the shoulder wouldn't be an issue, but again, hindsight.  The thing with Love is I'm willing to see what he can become.  The only real position we could have drafted at 30 that could make any sort of impact is RB, and that's not getting us to the Super Bowl, so I can understand drafting for the future because you're doing that no matter who you take at 30 (or 26).  This is the best situation Love could go to if he's going to develop into a good QB, which is a good thing for both Love and the Packers.

As far as roster management, though, where has he royally screwed up?  Maybe the Rodgers contract like you mentioned?  I bet most GMs would have done the same there.  HIs drafts are still up in the air for the most part, so that's all speculation, aside from Jaire, who we all know is a stud, and Savage looked pretty good as a rookie, especially when healthy.  As far as FA goes, Jimmy Graham didn't really pan out but he wasn't an absolute bust, either.  I think letting Jordy go in favor of keeping Cobb was a boneheaded move, but not a fireable offence.  Signing the Smiths worked out really well.

The point is he's only 2 years in so saying he's doing a terrible job and basically running the team into the ground is awfully premature.  You don't like taking a QB, I get it.  I thought it was odd and wasn't expecting it at all, but I get why he went that route because, again, I can't think of anyone in this draft class that we could get that would somehow be the thing that gets us to the Super Bowl this year or the next.  Sure, they could take an IDL and an OT and a WR and whoever else and HOPE that those guys turn out to be studs by year two, but as a GM, if you have a shot at a guy that you think could be a franchise QB after sitting and learning for 2-3 years (and there is no better place to do that then here) and then give you 10-15 years of stability at the most important position in football, then that's a good gamble to make IMO.  I'm ok with disagreeing on that, doesn't make anyone stupid.

And I apologize for the personal attack earlier.  Can we all hug now and be happy?

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Okay. Let's make tonight a good night.

Yea man, lets move forward I'm with ya! 2 years ago we were ready to kill Gutey for passing on Edwards and James, then he flipped it around and was able to come back up into the first and score an extra one for the next year. Lets hope he's got that kind of ace up his sleeve. 

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Would taking a RB late in round 1 be a good strategy? You can control him for 5 seasons then dump him because he is a RB and not a human being.  

Or you can draft one on Day 2 and have them for 4 seasons and then dump him.

• Like 2

Am I correct in thinking Gute tried to bring in Allen Robinson to Green Bay?

Edwards is very close to being that type of WR isn't he? If we do draft him expect a lot of Packers fans to get pissed cos we drafted an "injured" WR.