Postgame: The Ugly, the Ugly, and the Ugly

SilverNBlackFan

Carr seemed out of it all game.  Other than K. Mack, K. Joseph and M. King, our entire team looked dazed and confused.  The Redskins looked like they were ready for a brawl, and we showed up trying to hand out hugs (S. Roberts).  We didn't utilize J. Richard and D. Washington correctly.  I just don't understand why Carr kept throwing short passes into double coverage on 3rd and long plays.  There was no trust, no taking chances.  Probably the worst week of football I have seen in a long time.  Most of the players looked like they thought they had a bye week.  

Hopefully we rebound next week against the Broncos.  If we lose and go 2-2, it may become an ugly season.

Really hoping this a wake up call type game. Maybe after a 2-0 start, they started to believe their own hype and thought they could just show up and win.

That was the worst loss I can remember in the del rio era. Hopefully they can refocus and rebound in an important division game next week.

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Really hoping this a wake up call type game. Maybe after a 2-0 start, they started to believe their own hype and thought they could just show up and win.

That was the worst loss I can remember in the del rio era. Hopefully they can refocus and rebound in an important division game next week.

I've heard this a couple times, but I can remember the games vs the Chiefs. Not the biggest JDR, but they've been competitive in just about every other game. 

They bought into the hype. They tried to coast and from the first pass they weren't right. These guys should be pissed because they dropped a winnable game. Cooper has been invisible for 2 games as a #1 WR that shouldn't happen. They need to get right and quick because the schedule isn't any easier with DEN coming up. They lose the next game and they drop to 3rd place in the division.

Some takeaways from yesterday's game for me:

Roberts doesn't deserve his contract just for blocking. He just isn't a very capable receiver. I almost never see him get open and he's never proven that he's a reliable player.

Downing deserves a lot of blame for the playcalls. Some of the checkdowns looked like poorly designed plays.

We still don't attack vertically. Sure the free safety made a good play, but it seemed like Carr and the offense were averse to throwing downfield often.

The defense looked good aside from the Amerson jump ball and the long screen pass. The screen pass was the result of a pathetic lack of recognition. It's inexcusable to give up a play that big on 3rd and 19... Amerson had a little bad luck as he was in position and outjumped, but he broke up some passes and didn't have a terrible outing. Sean Smith however...

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Downing is getting too cute. Oline was getting beaten all night. He didn't call a screen, bootleg, play action.... nothing avoid pressure and keep them honest. His Oline was getting whipped and he had no answer. Looked in over his head last night.

KNJ is who he is. How they can't do the routine things get old. giving up a 3rd and 19 to a screen... wow.

Yep, even NFL gen is like "your defensive coordinator is bad" yet so many people cut him slack. Aside from that play, I thought the defense played alright considering how much they were on the field.

44 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Maybe we should activate Keon Hatcher, especially if crab is on the shelf. He seems like the only guy that can be a full time WR along with Cooper

While I'm at a place where I want so badly for there to be an easy fix that I'd entertain that, I don't think Hatcher is ready for that kinda workload in the NFL vs #1 and 32 corners. I think his inexperience and his and Carr's lack of familiarity with one another would be a recipe for alot of miscommunication poor timing.

33 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

While I'm at a place where I want so badly for there to be an easy fix that I'd entertain that, I don't think Hatcher is ready for that kinda workload in the NFL vs #1 and 32 corners. I think his inexperience and his and Carr's lack of familiarity with one another would be a recipe for alot of miscommunication poor timing.

I hear you and those are legit concerns but who do you think should be starting outside of Cooper if Crabtree misses time? 

Awful game that I was at and A lot of our fan base attended.  Todd Downing deserves a bunch a blame while redskins coach and players deserve a bunch of praise. Our heads was never into that game. Also I understand avoided a good corner but cutting off that whole side of the field is dumb. All skins did all night was leave Norman on an island and rotate defense  to other side. Its the reason safeties was over the top on every thing and laying the wood to our wrs. Todd is in his 3rd regular season game and handicapped himself by taking away half the field. It was an awful game plan. 

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

His numbers are right there with Von the last 3 years. Explain

Von Miller has made game altering plays in a Super Bowl. Numbers aren't everything. Miller has played in and taken over big big NFL games. Mack has yet to do anything of that sort, other than the one game against Osweiler when he feasted on a statue QB and a vulnerable OT.

58 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

I hear you and those are legit concerns but who do you think should be starting outside of Cooper if Crabtree misses time? 

It's Roberts or Patterson realistically. If we were going to leap frog those guys to keep tothe offense from too many changes, Holton would move into Crabs place and we'd keep active another dlineman like Ward or Lathum or another db to help on special teams for the game. I doubt Crab is going on IR and we'd have to free up a roster spot to move Hatcher from the PS to the active roster.

A lot of the mistakes come down to execution.

Newhouse was beaten numerous times in the run game which stuffed runs.

Cooper on the 3rd and short play late in the game was suppose to block the LB. He ran a route and the LB blew the play to Roberts up. If Cooper just gets in the way, Roberts has the corner for a first down.

The Redskins played mostly zone coverage. Vs. playing man the first 2 weeks. The Raiders not prepared for these looks and Coach TD didn't know how to adjust to it. 

End of the day... coach TD is a first time play caller. He's going to have some down games. But he will learn from this as will the rest of the team. Mentally, the team was out of it. Carr lost confidence early and his teammates followed.

I will say this on Carr....As good as he can look at times. He has major issues with pressure. KC constantly takes him out of his game with pressure. Happened last night with Wash. These "Aaron Rodgers" comparisons need to stop. Carr's poise, confidence and leadership wane when he's pressured. It's a notable problem just like Coopers hands.

30 minutes ago, holyghost said:

Von Miller has made game altering plays in a Super Bowl. Numbers aren't everything. Miller has played in and taken over big big NFL games. Mack has yet to do anything of that sort, other than the one game against Osweiler when he feasted on a statue QB and a vulnerable OT.

Mack single handedly dominated the Panthers last season. And put away the Buffalo game with a strip sack. You're reaching here.

Heck.. he would have put the game away in Tenn if not for Irvin's penalty 

Archived