Postgame: The Ugly, the Ugly, and the Ugly

SilverNBlackFan

2 hours ago, holyghost said:

Von Miller has made game altering plays in a Super Bowl. Numbers aren't everything. Miller has played in and taken over big big NFL games. Mack has yet to do anything of that sort, other than the one game against Osweiler when he feasted on a statue QB and a vulnerable OT.

Um...so you're holding it against Mack because he hasn't played in as many big postseason games as Von? That sounds like what you're trying to say. 

Because I've seen Mack take over games before. I've seen him do it with not nearly as much help as Von has on that defense.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I will say this on Carr....As good as he can look at times. He has major issues with pressure. KC constantly takes him out of his game with pressure. Happened last night with Wash. These "Aaron Rodgers" comparisons need to stop. Carr's poise, confidence and leadership wane when he's pressured. It's a notable problem just like Coopers hands.

Spot on. He folds like a cheap tent when the heat is on, just like his college scouting report said. It's why I've never gotten the Rodgers comparison. ARod is probably the best QB ever with pressure, and has some of best improvisational skills you will ever see. DC is not close in those areas.

Denver will get after him too next week. Hopefully our rookie OC can have a better plan on how to counter it or we will get beat up again.

30 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Spot on. He folds like a cheap tent when the heat is on, just like his college scouting report said. It's why I've never gotten the Rodgers comparison. ARod is probably the best QB ever with pressure, and has some of best improvisational skills you will ever see. DC is not close in those areas.

Denver will get after him too next week. Hopefully our rookie OC can have a better plan on how to counter it or we will get beat up again.

Downing is going to have to do much much much better. But that goes for the coaching staff as a whole. Last night, I figured we would come out of halftime looking different. No, instead of sweeps to the left, our adjustments were sweeps to the right. Sure, the execution on the field wasn't good, but the play calling was atrocious and it felt like zero adjustments were made at all. 

I was also disappointed in the lack of general hustle displayed by the team last night. We can say what we want about JDR, but one thing I definitely do not expect from a Del Rio coached team is apathy. Even when the game started getting out of hand a bit, the only people I saw show any type of emotion were Carr and Amerson. I didn't like the body language displayed from virtually anyone else. Lynch, the O-line, guys on D. Everyone looked either too giddy for the mud stomping or like they just couldn't care less. 

If I'm the coaching staff, I'm reinforcing to every player in that locker room that you can be replaced (even guys like Mack, Carr, etc. just to send the message home). As I've said in previous posts, the stuff with Cooper is simply unacceptable. At this point, what is it we are planning to pay him royally for? At worst, at this point, he could go somewhere else and wind up "breaking out". As much as I love Crabtree's overall performance since he's been here, he has a problem with drops and stretches of nonexistence too. This team needs WR's that show up week to week. Right now, Crabtree is the best of the bunch, but even he is an enigma of sorts. Cooper isn't getting it done, Roberts is useless, and the rest of the guys are placeholders. 

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I remember reading something last year that Carr had THE best stats in the entire league when blitzed. Anyone else remember  reading something like that?

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Mack single handedly dominated the Panthers last season. And put away the Buffalo game with a strip sack. You're reaching here.

Heck.. he would have put the game away in Tenn if not for Irvin's penalty 

Seriously.  How did he not take over that Denver game when he had like 5 sacks?  Von's been doing it longer, but Mack is on his way.

55 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I remember reading something last year that Carr had THE best stats in the entire league when blitzed. Anyone else remember  reading something like that?

I remember reading something like that too but you can be blitzed and not necessarily be pressured all the time. Our oline and RBs have done a good job the last few years of keeping Carr clean when blitzed, and he gets the ball out of his hands quickly also. 

No QB likes to be pressured but there are some who deal with it better than others. Carr is an athletic guy, but rarely uses it to avoid the rush or get outside the pocket. Some of those sacks yesterday he just curled up into a ball and fell down. I don't know if it's because he saw his brother get destroyed, but if the pocket isn't clean, or if he gets sacked a couple times early on in the game, you can see him lose poise and confidence. KC and Denver have have both rattled him the last 3 years and he goes into the tank. It's just something he needs to improve on. He needs to be better against the better defenses in the league.

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I remember reading something like that too but you can be blitzed and not necessarily be pressured all the time. Our oline and RBs have done a good job the last few years of keeping Carr clean when blitzed, and he gets the ball out of his hands quickly also. 

No QB likes to be pressured but there are some who deal with it better than others. Carr is an athletic guy, but rarely uses it to avoid the rush or get outside the pocket. Some of those sacks yesterday he just curled up into a ball and fell down. I don't know if it's because he saw his brother get destroyed, but if the pocket isn't clean, or if he gets sacked a couple times early on in the game, you can see him lose poise and confidence. KC and Denver have have both rattled him the last 3 years and he goes into the tank. It's just something he needs to improve on. He needs to be better against the better defenses in the league.

Yeah you named the reasons why it will be a really hard thing for him to overcome. Growing up learning the position watching his brother as he got punished helped him with his reading of defenses and development of a quick release but also fueled our building of a strong pass blocking oline that allows him to have little noise around him generally and the hit that broke his leg are all things that he will have to overcome. All those things together means this will be an issue for awhile. Our best bet is to keep the line strong and the offense crisp so he doesn't have to worry. He isn't gonna develop pocket toughness in the middle of the season or escape instincts from getting pressure. Those things take time or are natural.

I can't sit and honestly say that the entire team was ugly because it wasn't.

Good:

The Defense. Believe it or not our Defense didn't play bad, did they give up a lot of yards through the air yes, but they handled the run well. We all expected this game to be a shoot out, and Cousins has put up big yardage for the past couple of years now. We forced turnovers. When it's all said in done, the Defense didn't lose this game, they did all they could to keep us in it, three consecutive 3 and outs buy our offense didn't do them any favors. Aside from the Redskins converting the 3rd and 19. I really can't say I'm disappointed in the Defenses performance, had we won we would have lived with it.

The Bad.

Offensive play calling, the first INT stung and may have took us off our game-plan, but there were some bonehead play calls. Drops by receivers. Carr INTs and timing.

Ugly

The Offensive Line, 4 sacks, 3 bad snaps, and Carr was under constant duress. Our offense to click when our O-Line isn't preforming. IMO the O-Line bares much of the burden of this loss. I don't know, maybe their heads just weren't in it.

Hopefully they take this as a gut check.

The defense played valiantly in the 3rd and 4th considering how long they were out there. They even forced a turnover that we could have capitalized on. Worst thing IMO was the lack of any offensive improvement after the half. Everything was terrible from Carr's jitteriness to the O-line getting mauled to drops. It looked like no plan would have possibly worked with how poor the play was there. I don't know what the cause what but whatever it is they better smooth it out for next week. Denver has a tremendous defense and Musgrave's familiarity with our offense worries me. Last thing we need is a Bill Callahan redux next week 

About Carr, his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers. He has Rodgers level of athleticism, whether or not he uses it. He has one of the better arms in the NFL. He can diagnose plays before the snap. As for pressure...well most elite QBs can't handle pressure. Look at Brady in the Super Bowl, when Atlanta got to him for 3 quarters he looked old. Heck I remember a few years ago he got the O-line coach fired because they couldn't protect him. Look at Wilson in Seattle, they look like they're going to compete with the niners as the worst team in the west because they have a bad offensive line. You can say the same for New York and both those Qbs have Super Bowl hardware. Also consider Peyton Manning,  as good as he was Indy should have won more than one Super Bowl, but because Peyton folded in the post season it didn't happen. Football is a team sport and there where times when the vaunted Raiders offesvive line was pushed back. He got the FEAR which happens when things go wrong and a lot went wrong very fast. 

Now I said all that to say this, did Carr crap the bed last night? Yeah he did, but you know what last year the raiders won more games because of him than really anyone else. It's a concern but just going off numbers I'll take a guy with as many  4th quarter comebacks in his four years. 

Honestly I feel like the TEAM overlooked the 1-1 middle of the pack Redskins. They where looking ahead to the 2-0 Denver broncos and that tough no fly zone defense. The Redskins however came to play against the Super Bowl contender, they where a rabid dog looking to use and abuse the Raiders. Hopefully the won't overlook anyone else.

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Seen on twitter saying Stefon Diggs is the best WR from the 2015 Class. Thoughts ? is it Prisoner of the moment or is it possible ?

Yes. Who else would even compare? Outside Cooper who has disappeared late in his first 2 seasons. Has an issues with drops and is getting off to a slow start?

I had to look.... Cooper, White, Parker, Perriman, Strong, Dorsett, DGB, Smith, Agholor, Lockett, Conley, Coates, Green, Funchess - all drafted before Diggs.

Lot of bad WRs in this class. Ultimately, I feel Cooper has the most upside (size, speed, ability) but his hands and inconsistencies limiting him from breaking out. 

31 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

About Carr, his ceiling is Aaron Rodgers. He has Rodgers level of athleticism, whether or not he uses it. He has one of the better arms in the NFL. He can diagnose plays before the snap. As for pressure...well most elite QBs can't handle pressure. Look at Brady in the Super Bowl, when Atlanta got to him for 3 quarters he looked old. Heck I remember a few years ago he got the O-line coach fired because they couldn't protect him. Look at Wilson in Seattle, they look like they're going to compete with the niners as the worst team in the west because they have a bad offensive line. You can say the same for New York and both those Qbs have Super Bowl hardware. Also consider Peyton Manning,  as good as he was Indy should have won more than one Super Bowl, but because Peyton folded in the post season it didn't happen. Football is a team sport and there where times when the vaunted Raiders offesvive line was pushed back. He got the FEAR which happens when things go wrong and a lot went wrong very fast. 

Now I said all that to say this, did Carr crap the bed last night? Yeah he did, but you know what last year the raiders won more games because of him than really anyone else. It's a concern but just going off numbers I'll take a guy with as many  4th quarter comebacks in his four years. 

Honestly I feel like the TEAM overlooked the 1-1 middle of the pack Redskins. They where looking ahead to the 2-0 Denver broncos and that tough no fly zone defense. The Redskins however came to play against the Super Bowl contender, they where a rabid dog looking to use and abuse the Raiders. Hopefully the won't overlook anyone else.

I'll agree to most of this. 

Again.. Washington played zone. Oakland was expecting man. TD didn't adjust to it. Game plan simply wasn't there for success honestly. 

Archived