2020 NFL Draft - Day Two Discussion

RpMc

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

I think the opposite, since no one drafted safety in R1, all the potentially interested teams can just get their safety's in R2 and not trade for Harris.

Think he stays in purple one way or the other, we are trying to contend in this 2 year Cousins window. Little chance we don't want 2 pro bowl safety on the defense.

That is true, and probably makes more sense. They'll probably get a 3rd next year for letting Harris walk. Probably better to keep him one year and get a late third next year, instead of an early 4th this year (that's probably the market for an extra year of his services).

43 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I fully expect them to move up in round 2. 

I think they may move up in rounds 2 and 3. They have 12 picks, and while they need a ton of depth, they do not need that many players.

Also the Vikings still have a need at WR, especially for a speed threat. KJ Hamler still on the board and would totally be a luxury move, but there aren't a ton of teams that need a sort of "Speed Threat" at WR. Houston, Chicago, KC, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Arizona will probably have no interest in a receiver like Hamler. Green Bay and Minnesota would love him, however. Potential he could even fall into the 3rd.

Edited by Nozizaki

This is how I think the 2nd round might go then the 3rd with the picks there, stinks that most of the guys the Vikings could want might be gone.  Really hope John Simpson falls to us, he is a great fit for the scheme and can really pull as a OG.  I have him going to the Bills though to help that crap OL, Jonah Jackson would be ok since Simpson and Muti are both gone.  

33. Cincinnati - Josh Jones OT
34. Indianapolis f/WAS - Tee Higgins WR
35. Detroit - DeAndre Swift RB
36. NY Giants - Josh Uche OLB
37. New England f/LAC - AJ Epenesa DE
38. Carolina - Kristian Fulton CB
39. Miami - Lloyd Cushenberry C
40. Houston f/ARI - Grant Delpit S
41. Cleveland - Yetur Gross Matos DE 
42. Jacksonville - Neville Gallimore  DT  
43. Chicago f/LV - Denzel Mims WR
44. Indianapolis - Antonie Winfield Jr 
45. Tampa Bay - Trevon Diggs CB
46. Denver - Tyler Biadasz C
47. Atlanta - Zach Baun LB
48. NY Jets - Laviska Shenault WR
49. Pittsburgh - Ross Blacklock DT
50. Chicago - Xavier McKinney S
51. Dallas - Curtis Weaver DE
52. LA Rams - Jonathan Taylor RB
53. Philadelphia - Malik Harrison LB
54. Buffalo - John Simpson OG
55. Baltimore f/NE via ATL - Netane Muti OG
56. Miami f/NO - Kyle Dugger S
57. LA Rams f/HOU - KJ Hamler WR
58. Minnesota - Jonah Jackson OG
59. Seattle - Prince Tega Wanogho OT
60. Baltimore - Cole Kmet TE
61. Tennessee - Jaylon Johnson CB
62. Green Bay - Chase Claypool WR
63. Kansas City f/SF - Justin Madubuike DT 
64. Seattle f/KC - JK Dobbins RB

Round 3

65. Cincinnati - Terrell Lewis OLB
66. Washington - Michael Pittman WR
67. Detroit - Joe Bachie ILB
68. NY Jets f/NYG - Jonathan Greenard OLB
69. Carolina - James Lynch DE
70. Miami - Cam Akers RB
71. New England f/LAC - Jacob Eason QB
72. Arizona - Amik Robertson CB
73. Jacksonville - Jack Driscoll OT/OG
74. Cleveland - David Woodward ILB
75. Indianapolis - Marlon Davidson DT
76. Tampa Bay - Devin Duvernay WR
77. Denver - Ezra Cleveland OT
78. Atlanta - Matt Hennessy C
79. NY Jets - Adam Trautman TE
80. Las Vegas - Jeremy Chinn S
81. Las Vegas f/CHI - Shane Lemieux OG
82. Dallas - Bryce Hall CB
83. Denver f/PIT - Tony Pride Jr CB
84. LA Rams - Darnay Holmes CB
85. Detroit f/PHI - Raekwon Davis DT
86. Buffalo - AJ Dillon RB
87. New England - Bryce Hopkins
88. New Orleans - Jake Fromm QB
89. Minnesota - Cameron Dantzler CB
90. Houston - Logan Stenberg OG
91. Las Vegas f/SEA via HOU - Troy Dye LB
92. Baltimore - Alex Highsmith OLB
93. Tennessee - Jordan Elliott DT
94. Green Bay - Davon Hamilton DT
95. Denver f/SF - Chris Orr ILB
96. Kansas City - Michael Ojemudia CB
97. Cleveland f/HOU* - AJ Green CB
98. New England* - Saahdig Charles OT/OG
99. NY Giants* - Lynn Bowden WR
100. New England* - KJ Hill WR
101. Seattle* - Alton Robinson DE
102. Pittsburgh* - Bryan Edwards WR
103. Philadelphia* - Jabari Zuniga DE
104. LA Rams* - Darryl Williams C/OG
105. Minnesota* - Kenny Willekes DE
106. Baltimore* - Alohi Gilman S

They do not have a ton of options unless they trade up some how.  Not sure many of those teams up there would want to leave where they are picking however.  Would be great if a safety falls to them but I doubt that, most will all be gone, maybe Chinn could be around but again depends on what they want to do with Anthony Harris long term.  Ezra Cleveland and Jack Driscoll are around, maybe they could go with one of those guys and have them play OG for a little while.  But if Trent Williams is really in the mix all of this could change big time, and curious if they like Hennessy enough to get a guy like that.

Ideal would be John Simpson, so hope to crap the Bills do not get him of the Ravens.  Simpson and then Muti I would not mind at all, Jonah Jackson would be an ok result but not ideal because Simpson is a better scheme fit.  Stinks Prince is right there and could be as well and he fits the scheme great.  

Not a giant fan of the 3rd round either but got some decent value.  I think Willekes is very underrated as an athlete and has a big time motor so that would be great.  Would not mind Saahdig Charles and move him to OG but Dantzler at CB would be hard to pass on, not sold on Hill but if the Vikings are he is less of a need.  

Edited by Ozzy

45 minutes ago, Robbroy45 said:

Chaisson, too, someone on twitter said they were super high on him and alluded to the Vikings trying to trade up to get him

I think the two remaining players Rick was likely thinking about while on the clock at #22 were Jefferson and Aiyuk. 
Took Jefferson, and had no need to draft Aiyuk, so moved down.

Edited by CriminalMind

They need a pass rusher and a guard.

There are so many decent options available at DE and DT, and they could use either one, so I wouldn’t move up for that.

If they don’t use 58 on OL, they probably have to trade up in the 3rd. Starting guards usually go off the board in the 2nd and early 3rd round.

The rumors around the Williams trade are backed by Washington’s ESPN reporter:

The Vikings really do have them over a barrel. Comp pick for Williams if he did change his mind and play out his contract would only be a 5th (in 2022) because he’s a 10 year vet. A 2020 5th would be much more valuable, and they could throw in Reiff, who would be an upgrade and younger than last year’s LT for Haskins, Donald Penn. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd hope we can trade up to grab one of the top DE's on the board (Epinesa/YGM), trade a 3rd for Williams, then fill some depth holes.

I just hope Rick doesn't do his constant trading back this year. 

I'm sure he'll do his constant maneuvering around if he can.  I don't expect a repeat of the acquisition of a bunch of 7th rounders (although he already has 3), but he'll try to get the guys that he can in the draft because he probably won't want to fight for UDFAs again, especially with such little knowledge on them.  They still are nowhere near the 90-man roster limit yet.

4 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd hope we can trade up to grab one of the top DE's on the board (Epinesa/YGM), trade a 3rd for Williams, then fill some depth holes.

I just hope Rick doesn't do his constant trading back this year. 

Crap part is I doubt many teams trade up.  Most of the guys who drop will be gone by the Vikings 2nd round pick.   I agree YGM and Epenesa are great but both will be gone by first 10 picks of the 2nd.  Hopefully there are more reaches 

All these guys could be considered a little bit of a reach, they all fit but all are a little bit over drafted I feel especially Brooks and Igbinoghene not to mention Arnette.  By the way I had no idea Chris Carter was his dad, surprised one did not hear more about that through his college careeer.

19. Las Vegas f/CHI: CB Damon Arnette, Ohio State
24. New Orleans: OL Cesar Ruiz, Michigan
27. Seattle: LB Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech
29. Tennessee: OL Isaiah Wilson, Georgia
30. Miami f/GB: CB Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn
32. Kansas City: RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire, LSU

PS The Saints drafted Erick McCoy to start at center and have Nick Easton backing him up.  What Ruiz is going to play OG for them I guess, doubt McCoy does.  Guess that means Warford is on his way out after this year since they resigned Peat already at the other OG spot.  Wow what would it be like to actually have a talented OL like that!

5 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I like the value of the DL on the board, but I think they will be selected within the first 10 picks, and I don't think Rick is interested in moving up that high.

A Rick move up might be ~10 picks from #58 to #48 for <insert DL slipping>

I'd hope it's Madubuike.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Krauser said:

They need a pass rusher and a guard.

There are so many decent options available at DE and DT, and they could use either one, so I wouldn’t move up for that.

If they don’t use 58 on OL, they probably have to trade up in the 3rd. Starting guards usually go off the board in the 2nd and early 3rd round.

The rumors around the Williams trade are backed by Washington’s ESPN reporter:

The Vikings really do have them over a barrel. Comp pick for Williams if he did change his mind and play out his contract would only be a 5th (in 2022) because he’s a 10 year vet. A 2020 5th would be much more valuable, and they could throw in Reiff, who would be an upgrade and younger than last year’s LT for Haskins, Donald Penn. 

I mean, not really. What is he going to do? Sit out another year and then who's going to pay him in 2021? So if he does come back and play and plays well, which he will, they can just tag him because we have well over $100M in cap space going into next off-season. The Redskins don't have to trade him if they don't want too. He'll sit and rot before they simply give him away for nothing. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, not really. What is he going to do? Sit out another year and then who's going to pay him in 2021? So if he does come back and play and plays well, which he will, they can just tag him because we have well over $100M in cap space going into next off-season. The Redskins don't have to trade him if they don't want too. He'll sit and rot before they simply give him away for nothing. 

Poor asset management by them, then. 

Better off getting something, even if it is just a lottery ticket, for a player who has zero intention of ever suiting up for you again. Unless Rivera can work his magic, there’s no way Williams ever suits up for Washington again.