NFCN rivals picks

dll2000

The difference in this and AR back in '05 is Rodgers was considered possibly as the number one pick.  He free fell and the Packers chose him to stop the slide.  This is a reach on potential, and could backfire in the Packers face two fold

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree, but a GM who probably won’t be there next year without marked improvement this year probably doesn’t care so much about future QB trade value. This wasn’t take the QB with future value or take a solid corner prospect - this was take the QB with future value or take a corner prospect with Patrick Peterson and Jalen Ramsey comps. 

Take a year and remove all health concerns for Tua.  What is he worth?  Let’s say he balls out late in year or in pre season.

You are getting 2 first rounders, a 2nd ... on and on.  

Or you are getting a franchise QB.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Take a year and remove all health concerns for Tua.  What is he worth?  Let’s say he balls out late in year or in pre season.

You are getting 2 first rounders, a 2nd ... on and on.  

Or you are getting a franchise QB.  

And I think Miami really wanted him bad.  They just gambled.  If you called their bluff they come to the table hat in hand.  They didn’t want Herbert. 

1 minute ago, GBHalas said:

The difference in this and AR back in '05 is Rodgers was considered possibly as the number one pick.  He free fell and the Packers chose him to stop the slide.  This is a reach on potential, and could backfire in the Packers face two fold

That's absolutely possible but can be said about any player the Packers were likely to pick at that spot. They could have picked a bust at another position.

The Ravens made a similar move drafting Lamar Jackson. It's obviously a gamble. But rolling the dice on an elite QB has the biggest payoff in sports.

5 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

Any QB can backfire.  Again unless you tank or trade a King’s ransom how do you restock QB position? 

You have to make these moves from time to time.  

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

That's absolutely possible but can be said about any player the Packers were likely to pick at that spot. They could have picked a bust at another position.

The Ravens made a similar move drafting Lamar Jackson. It's obviously a gamble. But rolling the dice on an elite QB has the biggest payoff in sports.

Beat me to it.  LOL.  We were typing at same time.  

We tend to only look at the QBs when they work out, Lamar Jackson and Rogers. I would like to see the number of QBs drafted in the first and second round and their hit rate. I'm sure it's under 30%.

This is a team that also recently gave up a second for Deshone Kizer and just last year made a reach with Gary Rashard. I haven't been terribly impressed by their drafting as of late. 

So it seems after some cap discussions that it is likely Rodgers is out in 2022 and Packers trade him or release him.  

On paper that seems like a decent plan.  But we are dealing with human beings.  I wonder how Rodgers is going to take this plan.

Just now, dll2000 said:

So it seems after some cap discussions that it is likely Rodgers is out in 2022 and Packers trade him or release him.  

On paper that seems like a decent plan.  But we are dealing with human beings.  I wonder how Rodgers is going to take this plan.

Assuming Love doesn’t look like garbage.  

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

We tend to only look at the QBs when they work out, Lamar Jackson and Rogers. I would like to see the number of QBs drafted in the first and second round and their hit rate. I'm sure it's under 30%.

This is a team that also recently gave up a second for Deshone Kizer and just last year made a reach with Gary Rashard. I haven't been terribly impressed by their drafting as of late. 

If we're arguing the merits of drafting a QB then I don't think the possibility of him busting matters. They could have drafted a bust to fill their biggest immediate position of need and the end result is the same.

The Bears and Packers have taken almost diametrically opposite approaches to the QB position over the years and the Packers have been rewarded with far more consistent success. It's great to point to the Roquan Smith and Kyle Fuller draft victories, but Green Bay got more value out of 1 pick than the Bears have gotten out of several successful FRPs. The Bears can point to decades worth of great defenses almost completely invalidated by 2 good QBs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

If we're arguing the merits of drafting a QB then I don't think the possibility of him busting matters. They could have drafted a bust to fill their biggest immediate position of need and the end result is the same.

The Bears and Packers have taken almost diametrically opposite approaches to the QB position over the years and the Packers have been rewarded with far more consistent success. It's great to point to the Roquan Smith and Kyle Fuller draft victories, but Green Bay got more value out of 1 pick than the Bears have gotten out of several successful FRPs. The Bears can point to decades worth of great defenses almost completely invalidated by 2 good QBs.

Again.  How do you acquire QBs?  

You have to a) suck, b) Pay a kings ransom or c) take chances on some in first 4 rounds of draft.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Again.  How do you acquire QBs?  

You have to a) suck, b) Pay a kings ransom or c) take chances on some in first 4 rounds of draft.   

The biggest problem the Bears have with QBs is that they don't take enough chances. It's the most impactful position in sports and if you land one, you're set for years. It's okay to miss on a few here and there as long as you keep trying.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, abstract_thought said:

The biggest problem the Bears have with QBs is that they don't take enough chances. It's the most impactful position in sports and if you land one, you're set for years. It's okay to miss on a few here and there as long as you keep trying.

Didn’t Pace say once that he wanted to take a QB almost every year?

I think job security is a real problem with GMs decision making.  If you had an owner that was good at it, that would be ideal.

I mean Detroit taking Tua was a no Brainer.  But because of job security they took a position QB.  Worth a 1000x more as a trade or a player. 

2 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

That’s so frustrating.  Our GM talks about drafting a QB every year, yet he’s only drafted one.  Why not spend the occasional 4, 5, or 6th round pick on a QB?  Yeah, you’re probably not getting a Brady, but someone like a Minshew isn’t out of the question.  Someone that shows some promise that with the right coaching you can work with and develop.