NFCN rivals picks

dll2000

So Packers with Pittman and Mims on the board took Jordan Love.  A big sigh of relief in short term, but if Love turns out good then another shaking of the head.  The parallels with Rodgers/Favre are pretty obvious.

I guess if you don’t tank or implode how else do you restock at QB?  You have to take high potential players that slip a little.  Or you are faced with position of trading a kings ransom into top 1 or 2 picks.    That or you have to go get middling veterans that somehow enter free agency or trade for them.  So in that sense the Packers are smart.  

The problem is if you do it when you think you are a contender it doesn’t help you.  Packer fans think they are contenders now.  Really if, as everyone says, Rodgers is one of best 2 or 3 QBs in NFL why aren’t you going for it every year until he is done?  Isn’t that the point of getting a top franchise QB?

I think reality is Rodgers is good, but overrated by media and fans.  He has played at times better or as good as any QB ever.  But week in and week out last several years, he isn’t crushing people ala a Mahomes or a Drew Brees or a Brady or (LOL) Foles during his playoff run.  

A lot of times he is hold, hold, hold, throw it away, punt.  Yeah he doesn’t throw INTs, but he doesn’t cross goal line often enough either.  Pack fans retort, do you even know what the goal line looks like?!?  We aren’t talking about Bears right now Jagoff.

Other thing is what is the plan?  Rodgers has a lot of guaranteed dough.  How do you take advantage of Love’s rookie deal?  How do you transition before you waste that sweet contract?  Questions Packers are going to have to answer.

Edited by dll2000

Detroit got what everyone considers to be far and away best corner in draft.  Corner being one of most valuable positions there is, if they got an elite corner then they nailed it.

I am sure they wish they could have done one of those blockbuster trade downs while someone trades up for a QB.  If Tua isn’t hurt they probably get that deal.  

• Like 1

Det and Min just replaced players they lost in FA. Chances of rookies being as good as the players they lost is slim. Good picks for them but I don't feel that they have improved from last year. Love the GB pick (no pun intended. Seriously. It just happened.) mainly because they did not get an impact player. Who knows how it will turn out but it won't help them this year or probably next. That's a win for Chicago. Plus, these late round QB picks rarely work out. Rodgers and Brady are statistical anomalies. Chances Love busts are high. Now let's see what Chicago does.

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Detroit got what everyone considers to be far and away best corner in draft.  Corner being one of most valuable positions there is, if they got an elite corner then they nailed it.

I am sure they wish they could have done one of those blockbuster trade downs while someone trades up for a QB.  If Tua isn’t hurt they probably get that deal.  

However they just traded away a Pro Bowl CB. If having a good corner wasn't important a month or two, why is it now? Why not use #3 for another position? Maybe QB? Stafford is getting older and now he's coming off of a back injury. 

Just now, beardown3231 said:

However they just traded away a Pro Bowl CB. If having a good corner wasn't important a month or two, why is it now? Why not use #3 for another position? Maybe QB? Stafford is getting older and now he's coming off of a back injury. 

They may really regret not taking Tua.  I think getting rid of Clay was either a cap move or personal.  If you are a coach trying to instill your culture or in reality your authority you have to bounce people you think are not on board even if they are pro bowlers.  

Just how football works.  Coaches are kings.  Baseball and Basketball players are kings.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

They may really regret not taking Tua.  I think getting rid of Clay was either a cap move or personal.  If you are a coach trying to instill your culture or in reality your authority you have to bounce people you think are not on board even if they are pro bowlers.  

Just how football works.  Coaches are kings.  Baseball and Basketball players are kings.  

Also why that AZ TX trade happened.  Is it right or best for team?  No.  But that is way coaches see things.  You do have to control the locker room or you are screwed.  

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You also have to look at moves like that 49ers move as getting 4 good years out of a player and then replacing him before his big contract with a good cheap rookie.  

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You also have to look at moves like that 49ers move as getting 4 good years out of a player and then replacing him before his big contract with a good cheap rookie.  

That's very true, except I'm looking at it from a different point of view. The Lions were crap last year with Slay, so now he leaves and in comes Okudah. Did they get better? Their receivers still suck, their OL is still average, their pass rush is one player only and their secondary as a whole is meh.

Tua doesn't address any of those things either, but it at least gives them a muuuch cheaper option at QB and a potential long term QB, which is the most important position in all of sports.

• Like 1

GB - I get the Love pick as far as developing the next guy but I wouldn’t have made it. They should be in win now mode while AR is still viable. I understand the Favre/AR parallels but Love is far from the prospect AR was IMO, plus they’re wasting the “valuable” part of having a QB on a rookie deal with him not playing. The trade up probably surprised me most though.

MIN - Jefferson can ball but at least in year 1 he’s a downgrade from Diggs. Gladney is a guy I’m high on but again I’m not sure he’s better than Waynes in year 1. They did well IMO but I was surprised they didn’t take Josh Jones seeing as how they face ours and GB’s pass rush in 25% of their games. 

DET - Okudah is the 2nd best defensive prospect in this class so I can’t knock them for the pick. I think he’s gonna be elite quickly. The lack of a trade down surprised me some, but that’s more a credit to MIA having the stones to sit pat than a dig at the Lions.

The homer in me is SUPER happy Aiyuk didn’t end up in GB or MIN. 

• Like 1