Round 1, Pick 3: Jeff Okudah

Superduperman

Ok aside from feelings about how the Lions handled the pick, let's talk about the player.

Hands down consensus is that he is a tremendous prospect, has a great chance to be a star, has all the physical skills necessary to play Patricia's man-heavy scheme.

Corners, even the best ones, take a season or more to reach their ceiling, and with the pandemic, he'll miss out on OTA development and such. I'm optimistic that by 2022 he will be a star level CB.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he will provide what Slay did last year early on and I think he will be peak Slay or better by year 2.  If we were to stay at 3, he was the best prospect for our team.  I wouldnt have hated Tua but would have been mad if we drafted Brown or Simmons at 3.  

This is a very good perspective IMO. Trufant should be our #1 to start the season with Okudah rounding into form by seasons end and taking over at CB1 next year. 

• Like 1

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-jeff-okudah-was-as-dominant-at-ohio-state-as-jalen-ramsey-was-at-florida-state

On his 400 coverage snaps, just six resulted in a 15-plus yard gain for the opposing receiver. Those six plays accounted for nearly half of Okudah's yards allowed for the season, and he happened to be playing them all in off-coverage.

In his 27 games over the past two years, Okudah hasn’t allowed more than 50 yards in a single game. He’s the only Power-5 cornerback to play at least 10 coverage snaps in 15 or more games and accomplish that feat.

He’s seen 93 targets when lined up at outside corner since 2018 and has allowed a first down on just 20% of those targets — over 13 percentage points below the FBS average — to lead all corners who have played in both seasons

So this goes against @SimbaWho saying he was a one year wonder.  It also shows some pretty elite numbers.  Sure he has had a good pass rush both years as a starter, but even players with good pass rushes give up big plays and he just doesnt.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-jeff-okudah-was-as-dominant-at-ohio-state-as-jalen-ramsey-was-at-florida-state

So this goes against @SimbaWho saying he was a one year wonder.  It also shows some pretty elite numbers.  Sure he has had a good pass rush both years as a starter, but even players with good pass rushes give up big plays and he just doesnt.  

Yeah... it's not to say that he is not going to have some bumps in year 1 but he should be playing at an elite level for a long time. Unlike Ramsey, he also seems to be a very high character/locker room guy, as opposed to someone that is going to cause some division and force himself out. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

he had chase young rushing the passer tho and another 1st rd pick on the other side. fingers crossed tho

He did.  And he still didnt get beat.  The longest reception while in press coverage was 12 yards.  Thats insane.  Even with a pass rush that is insane that nobody got lucky on one. 

• Like 1

Tremendous pick and talent. I’ve been begging to address our secondary for years.

Yes, we moved Slay, but we picked up Trufant, Harmon and now drafted Okudah and I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting a safety (McKinney/Delpit/Chinn/etc).

He’s not only a top notch corner but a great character guy. Truly a guy you hope sticks around for 8-10 years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

Much like other corners on the Lions, he will suffer from a lack of pass rush. I don't see any obvious help left in the draft that will make their pass rush measurably better right away.

You’re right in that we won’t grab an elite double digit sack guy, but those guys generally go high for a reason, however I think Epenesa could help a lot.  If you watch him when he kicks inside it’s crazy how easily he beats Guards.  If we get Okudah and Epenesa I’ll think we had a really good draft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Much like other corners on the Lions, he will suffer from a lack of pass rush. I don't see any obvious help left in the draft that will make their pass rush measurably better right away.

You don't think Epenesa or YGM would help at all?  Or Russ Blacklock or Gallimore wont help with an interior pass rush? Or some mid/late round projects?  There always are players available that help the pass rush.  I don't think there has been a player drafted other than Chase Young who would have helped our pass rush. 

• Like 1

Just now, Millenhater said:

Amani makes it difficult for me to justify it, but would any of you be upset if we took Fulton and we have our CBs for the next 4-5 years locked down?

I was considering this myself.  I wouldn't be happy because like you said, I think Amani has upside and we have a good amount of money tied up in the position.  I think I would rather go S or DL but I could definitely understand their reasoning if they did grab Fulton.