Round 1, Pick 3: Jeff Okudah

Superduperman

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I was considering this myself.  I wouldn't be happy because like you said, I think Amani has upside and we have a good amount of money tied up in the position.  I think I would rather go S or DL but I could definitely understand their reasoning if they did grab Fulton. 

I’d take Fulton over Blacklock or Galimore or any of the DTs left.  I actually think Fulton is better than most of the CBs drafted yesterday. If he is your number 2 CB you’ve got a good set of corners.

Just now, Millenhater said:

I’d take Fulton over Blacklock or Galimore or any of the DTs left.  I actually think Fulton is better than most of the CBs drafted yesterday. If he is your number 2 CB you’ve got a good set of corners.

I am guessing if we make that move, Coleman would get cut.  I don't have Fulton that much higher than Gallimore or Blacklock personally so I would rather take a need on a close graded player.  I have Epenesa above all of them and YGM would be a big help too.  

5 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Amani makes it difficult for me to justify it, but would any of you be upset if we took Fulton and we have our CBs for the next 4-5 years locked down?

I like Fulton, Diggs and Jaylon Johnson. I wouldn’t mind doubling up at all and I am high on Oruwariye. Trufant is only signed for two seasons. Wouldn’t hurt to finally have multiple good corners 😂

So let's see, our defensive backfield depth chart is something like:

CB: Trufant, Okudah, Coleman, Oruwariye, Agnew, maybe another pick or free agent

S: Harmon, Walker, Harris, Jayron Kearse, Killebrew

I hate to be overly optimistic but I think these are good players who can be excellent if they can just stop giving quarterbacks 10 seconds to throw

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

You don't think Epenesa or YGM would help at all?  Or Russ Blacklock or Gallimore wont help with an interior pass rush? Or some mid/late round projects?  There always are players available that help the pass rush.  I don't think there has been a player drafted other than Chase Young who would have helped our pass rush. 

I didn't say no one could help at all. I think there's no one who will make the Lions pass rush very good, very soon. I agree on Chase Young; the whole thing with this draft is that there's no one besides him who is a big time help right away. That draft was last year when there were like 10 of those guys. But oops we took a tight end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am guessing if we make that move, Coleman would get cut.  I don't have Fulton that much higher than Gallimore or Blacklock personally so I would rather take a need on a close graded player.  I have Epenesa above all of them and YGM would be a big help too.  

Coleman ain't getting cut. I think he's a very good slot corner and I thought he was really good through the first four weeks. It was when Patricia inexplicably went to a three man rush for the last three quarters of the season that he had trouble.

• Like 1

Just now, Superduperman said:

I didn't say no one could help at all. I think there's no one who will make the Lions pass rush very good, very soon. I agree on Chase Young; the whole thing with this draft is that there's no one besides him who is a big time help right away. That draft was last year when there were like 10 of those guys. But oops we took a tight end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think adding the right DE/DT would make us decent.  Anyone that would require attention aside from Flowers helps this team.  I think the free agent moves we made at DT have helped and adding another DE can help a ton.  I also think having a healthy Hand and Bryant would improve the pass rush.  We wont be top 10 in the league, but if we can be top 15-20 with a solid secondary, we will be ok.  I also think moving davis into a rush LB role will help more than having him as a MLB. 

• Like 3

Coleman ain't getting cut. I think he's a very good slot corner and I thought he was really good through the first four weeks. It was when Patricia inexplicably went to a three man rush for the last three quarters of the season that he had trouble.

If we took Fulton, we would be crowded, and Coleman has the worst value per dollar of the bunch which IMO would lead to him getting cut next offseason.  I think we would keep everyone this year since we have cap but he would be expendable next year.  Trufant is a shorter contract so potentially he could be cut next year. 

7 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I hate to be overly optimistic but I think these are good players who can be excellent if they can just stop giving quarterbacks 10 seconds to throw

So  much this. I think Okudah struggles until we get something resembling a pass rush. 

6 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

CB: Trufant, Okudah, Coleman, Oruwariye, Agnew, maybe another pick or free agent

It certainly looks good.  I think it also comes down to how high are you on Oruwariye.  I don’t trust Trufant to stay healthy for 16 games.  I like him I just think he’s on the decline a bit.  Also I would love another difference maker at Safety.  

Obviously the biggest need is passrush.  But an absolute ball hawk at Saftey would be amazing. 

9 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I’m not as high on our safeties as you seem to be. I still think Killebrew is a better LB than S and I haven’t been impressed by Harris or Walker enough to not consider the position a need. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I think adding the right DE/DT would make us decent.  Anyone that would require attention aside from Flowers helps this team.  I think the free agent moves we made at DT have helped and adding another DE can help a ton.  I also think having a healthy Hand and Bryant would improve the pass rush.  We wont be top 10 in the league, but if we can be top 15-20 with a solid secondary, we will be ok.  I also think moving davis into a rush LB role will help more than having him as a MLB. 

That's all hope, what you're saying. Sure, if Hand and Bryant could be healthy and Nick Williams could become a consistent starter that would be great, but I'm not assuming it will happen. And are you saying that Davis should move into the role of Kennard? I don't see that at all. He doesn't have the size to play close to the line.

6 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I’m getting angry flashbacks....

• Like 2

That's all hope, what you're saying. Sure, if Hand and Bryant could be healthy and Nick Williams could become a consistent starter that would be great, but I'm not assuming it will happen. And are you saying that Davis should move into the role of Kennard? I don't see that at all. He doesn't have the size to play close to the line.

I'm not suggesting that you're the one making this recommendation but that's an argument you could make against guys like Uche and Baun that have been mocked to us as Jack LB/Edge players. I think Baun is like 235 lbs.