Round 1, Pick 3: Jeff Okudah

Superduperman

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think adding the right DE/DT would make us decent.  Anyone that would require attention aside from Flowers helps this team.  I think the free agent moves we made at DT have helped and adding another DE can help a ton.  I also think having a healthy Hand and Bryant would improve the pass rush.  We wont be top 10 in the league, but if we can be top 15-20 with a solid secondary, we will be ok.  I also think moving davis into a rush LB role will help more than having him as a MLB. 

This is what I've been thinking all along.  if you can get someone to take on a double team in the middle and clog the running lanes, you will free up Flowers. This is a two birds one stone scenario. If he gets penetration, that's just icing on the cake.

The thing I really liked about Okudah is what I think is his competitiveness.  Before the combine, he was pretty much the consensus best corner back, possible top 5 pick.  A lot of athletes will then not test.  Then Okudah goes and tests anyways to show he is the best. I don't care what his numbers were at that point. That's the kind of swagger this team needs...desperately. That's the mentality I want out of my island corner.  I like this kid a lot. I think we landed a future all pro provided he can stay healthy. Now we need to fix the damn DLine to help him and our other db investments out.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

The thing I really liked about Okudah is what I think is his competitiveness.  Before the combine, he was pretty much the consensus best corner back, possible top 5 pick.  A lot of athletes will then not test.  Then Okudah goes and tests anyways to show he is the best. I don't care what his numbers were at that point. That's the kind of swagger this team needs...desperately. That's the mentality I want out of my island corner.  I like this kid a lot. I think we landed a future all pro provided he can stay healthy. Now we need to fix the damn DLine to help him and our other db investments out.

I think he has the swagger/confidence of an elite corner without the overinflated ego and the nonsense that comes with it. He seems like a quiet guy that does most of his talking on the field and backs it up. 

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He is being compared to Peterson and Ramsey because he played better than them in College.  And you called him a one year wonder, the numbers show he has been putting up elite numbers for two years.  

As for talent he played with and against, he held Tee Higgins to 4 catches for 33 yards including 2 passes defended and 5 tackles.  He put up those numbers against other NFL prospects and with other NFL prospects.  If that is something you use to judge players on, you should never want to draft anyone from OSU, Bama, LSU, Clemson etc because they all play with loads of 5 star talent.  Even with loads of 5 star talent and coaches, Okudah outplayed them all.  Diggs and Terrell had great lines.  Terrell had 4 DL drafted with three in the first last year to help his numbers.  Diggs is going to have 3 or 4 front end players drafted that helped him look good, same with McKinney.  Peterson came from a great team with a great secondary, but he still stood out amongst them, like Okudah.  Every player in the draft plays against crap competition in college for 90% of their games.  If they dont consistently dominate, they still can be first round talents.  Okudah did consistently dominate from the second he got on the field.  

Alright and I told you why I thought he might look better, have inflated numbers etc, playing on a stacked team, competition, etc and you choose to ignore it, like I'm ignoring your reasoning I guess. I don't remember him making a tons of plays the year prior but hey maybe he was really good. I just remember him this year being more of a standout and well like among the scouting community. 

We'll just have to see if he's better than or even close to as good as those players he's being compared with. I don't think he is.

25 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Alright and I told you why I thought he might look better, have inflated numbers etc, playing on a stacked team, competition, etc and you choose to ignore it, like I'm ignoring your reasoning I guess. I don't remember him making a tons of plays the year prior but hey maybe he was really good. I just remember him this year being more of a standout and well like among the scouting community. 

We'll just have to see if he's better than or even close to as good as those players he's being compared with. I don't think he is.

I didn’t ignore it, I explained that those guys played with studs too, and played inferior competition most of the time.  When Okudah played Tee Higgins and Trevor Lawrence, he still dominated. Peterson came from a stacked secondary and great team.  Was you have to discredit half the first round because they played on great teams with a lot of talent.