Round 1, Pick 3: Jeff Okudah

Superduperman

17 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I don’t see it with Davis either.  I will say that Hand was vital to our success.  Oddly enough he was what really made the difference. I don’t think we can count on him to stay healthy but if we can get a similar player or even an upgrade it would do wonders for our D.

He has had one year with a couple injuries and likely would have come back but we were out of it anyways and putting anyone worth a darn on IR.  I think its foolish to write off Hand after one season with injuries.  Especially at his age when he didnt have injury issues in college. 

8 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

All of this is hindsight and I did like Fant but a lot of people around the NFL were high on Hock. Had they taken the Steelers trade and moved down to #20, Hock was likely not going to be there. So you're getting the next best guy, who closely resembles the player you just let go (Ebron) in skillset. TE was as much of a need as DT at the time, even a bit more, as we did have Snacks and A'Shawn coming off of decent seasons. 

I was way higher on Fant than Ebron. I was not high on Ebron at all.  His whole profile was make believe.  people calling him this super athletic pass catcher was the dumbest narrative ever.   He had average at best size.  His agility scores were bad.  His vert and explosion tests weren’t good.  His 40 was pretty good not great.  He couldn’t catch and he couldn’t block.  And he was a diva.

Fant had similar size but he had Elite testing numbers and good film.  

Snacks and A’Shawn added nothing to the pass rush.  Oliver or Burns the two guys I wanted would have added a lot. (I haven’t looked at how the performed so maybe they suck I don’t know). What I really wanted to do was trade up for Allen.  That was my guy.

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He has had one year with a couple injuries and likely would have come back but we were out of it anyways and putting anyone worth a darn on IR.  I think its foolish to write off Hand after one season with injuries.  Especially at his age when he didnt have injury issues in college. 

I’m not writing him off.  I’m just not counting on him.  He’s a guy I was totally wrong about in the draft.  I hated the pick.  But the role he plays is vital.  I just think we need him back or even another player similar.  I think Epenesa is that player. Imagine him and Hand inside with flowers outside on passrushing downs.  Those two and Flowers would move all up and down the line and think we would have what Patricia wants/needs to make this D go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

K well now your going off numbers vs watching who his competition is, who he plays with and the league he's in. All factors... I'm sure if your a good players on a great defensive team your going to look pretty great.

On top of it all now your blowing out of proportion the I don't think he's worth the 3rd pick and making it seem like I'm calling him a bad player. I think he'll start and be pretty good. Idk if he's worth the 3rd pick. I really don't know if he'd been the pick if Slay wasn't moved.

I don't think he'll be Patrick Peterson which is who he's compared.

I'm more fine with this pick than Derrick Brown. Lol. But to be honest man, I'm just in wait mode with these guys to be fired. I'm waiting for the next rounds of firing/hiring to reignite the fan boy in me. Which I am 80-90% sure that it's coming this season at some point. 

Lions got a raw deal on the scheduling, lol. 

He is being compared to Peterson and Ramsey because he played better than them in College.  And you called him a one year wonder, the numbers show he has been putting up elite numbers for two years.  

As for talent he played with and against, he held Tee Higgins to 4 catches for 33 yards including 2 passes defended and 5 tackles.  He put up those numbers against other NFL prospects and with other NFL prospects.  If that is something you use to judge players on, you should never want to draft anyone from OSU, Bama, LSU, Clemson etc because they all play with loads of 5 star talent.  Even with loads of 5 star talent and coaches, Okudah outplayed them all.  Diggs and Terrell had great lines.  Terrell had 4 DL drafted with three in the first last year to help his numbers.  Diggs is going to have 3 or 4 front end players drafted that helped him look good, same with McKinney.  Peterson came from a great team with a great secondary, but he still stood out amongst them, like Okudah.  Every player in the draft plays against crap competition in college for 90% of their games.  If they dont consistently dominate, they still can be first round talents.  Okudah did consistently dominate from the second he got on the field.  

• Like 3

For the record I don’t think Okudah is anywhere near the prospect PP was.  But no one is.  Okudah is a bit overhyped, however, he is really good.  He’s a high floor AND high ceiling player that’s good at all facets of the game.  He’s really good tackler and has played every type of coverage and has been good in all types of coverage.  He’s been really good to elite in Press.  I think he gives up a lot of passes on breaking routes especially when he plays off but he makes WR earn everything the get.

6 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

For the record I don’t think Okudah is anywhere near the prospect PP was.  But no one is.  Okudah is a bit overhyped, however, he is really good.  He’s a high floor AND high ceiling player that’s good at all facets of the game.  He’s really good tackler and has played every type of coverage and has been good in all types of coverage.  He’s been really good to elite in Press.  I think he gives up a lot of passes on breaking routes especially when he plays off but he makes WR earn everything the get.

Hasn't allowed more than 50 yards in a single game in 27 starts, so I dont think he gives up that much. 

43 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

You're right, which leaves them in a tough spot again for 2020. Maybe they could sign Clowney to a short term deal? Probably won't happen. It looks like the window has closed for them to trade for Ngakoue.

Quinn has cap space and I hope he finds a way to sign or trade for a player to improve the pass rush. Quinn has built the team in a questionable fashion and even though I like Okudah a great deal, the absence of a pass rush is really bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Hasn't allowed more than 50 yards in a single game in 27 starts, so I dont think he gives up that much. 

On those curls and slants in off coverage I think he gives up more than you’d like.  I wish he would get more PD in those situations but he does get an immediate tackle and again he’s not targeted as much so that also brings down his numbers.  He’s really good.  For me Young and Okudah were the two best players in this draft and then there was a huge drop off.  

34 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He is being compared to Peterson and Ramsey because he played better than them in College.  And you called him a one year wonder, the numbers show he has been putting up elite numbers for two years.  

As for talent he played with and against, he held Tee Higgins to 4 catches for 33 yards including 2 passes defended and 5 tackles.  He put up those numbers against other NFL prospects and with other NFL prospects.  If that is something you use to judge players on, you should never want to draft anyone from OSU, Bama, LSU, Clemson etc because they all play with loads of 5 star talent.  Even with loads of 5 star talent and coaches, Okudah outplayed them all.  Diggs and Terrell had great lines.  Terrell had 4 DL drafted with three in the first last year to help his numbers.  Diggs is going to have 3 or 4 front end players drafted that helped him look good, same with McKinney.  Peterson came from a great team with a great secondary, but he still stood out amongst them, like Okudah.  Every player in the draft plays against crap competition in college for 90% of their games.  If they dont consistently dominate, they still can be first round talents.  Okudah did consistently dominate from the second he got on the field.  

Sllim.. you know that you shouldn't be coming in here with all of these numbers and facts... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Quinn has cap space and I hope he finds a way to sign or trade for a player to improve the pass rush. Quinn has built the team in a questionable fashion and even though I like Okudah a great deal, the absence of a pass rush is really bad.

If he can drop Clowney or Ngauwe plus add either Epenea or One of the Safeties like Say McKinney.  We might actually have a scary good team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think adding the right DE/DT would make us decent.  Anyone that would require attention aside from Flowers helps this team.  I think the free agent moves we made at DT have helped and adding another DE can help a ton.  I also think having a healthy Hand and Bryant would improve the pass rush.  We wont be top 10 in the league, but if we can be top 15-20 with a solid secondary, we will be ok.  I also think moving davis into a rush LB role will help more than having him as a MLB. 

I agree. Been on the Davis to rush LB for a while now. Using him how Von Miller is used would be ideal. He is obviously nit that kind of talent, but to me he is like a pitbull.. Just unleash him I say.

• Like 1