Draft Day Two Thread

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Okay.  Well, i honestly had trouble following a lot of that tbh.  I'll just say, regardless of the semantic details...i do at least somewhat agree with what seemed to be a general premise there, in that Dave has overall probably kinda underinvested in the WR position.

On the whole, sure. I said last night I wish he would spend a first on bringing some fire power to the offense. But when it comes to using 2nd and 4th round picks, it's something he does routinely, so it really wouldn't be out of character for him to drop a second on a WR and then trade two fourths to go up for another.

9. (Original: 29) T Ezra Cleveland, Boise State - I see Jake Matthews when watching Cleveland. He absolutely has the footwork to mirror and athleticism to keep his butt to the quarterback, sealing off rush angles. He can absolutely get stronger and re-anchoring can be an issue. Cleveland also hit the elite Combine threshold of a 4.47 short shuttle - which has shown to be a great indicator of future success (OL who hit the mark go on to start over 80 percent of their NFL games).

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-preview/norris-best-available-day-2-0

The more I read the more I like this guy.

I'm going to try and watch some cutups before the draft tn.

15 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Okay.  Well, i honestly had trouble following a lot of that tbh.  I'll just say, regardless of the semantic details...i do at least somewhat agree with what seemed to be a general premise there, in that Dave has overall probably kinda underinvested in the WR position.

My problem with this build is it’s the same blueprint of the last blueprint with less impressive pieces. And we already saw the result of that and it wasn’t good.. you got a good year out of it.. but when you look at in it’s totality do you think that, that build is going to have long term success? If you look at my posts before the draft I said it’s setting up to the point where you have no choice but to build up the defense through the draft.. it wasn’t shocking in the least bit but I thought he would at least change his ways seeing the circumstances. Henderson great kid hope he excels but for as much as we’ve talked about wideouts in this draft I think that you can say the same thing about corner. Your defensive scheme is predominantly a zone scheme so that you don’t have to heavily depend on the talent of the player.. but you over reach to draft a man cover corner that’s not really physical. He still hasn’t grasped the concept of BPA versus need and it’s bothersome. 

When I spoke on Caldwell not using capital on elite talent at skill positions.. we can go back and fourth about what’s considered priority from 1 round to the other.. the bottom line is the bottom line. And the bottom line is in 8 yrs you’ve found 2 skill position players that are above avg. You sit and tell the fans that you’re content with the offense.. when we watch the games every Sunday. We see the lack of separation and the inability to make plays in the open field every Sunday. 

An invest of 3 2nd round picks and 2 and the 4th was over an 8 year span that is not investing. If that rate of turn over happened in a 4 year span. I’d say we’ve got something going.. but using 2 second round selections when you have no viable wideouts on the team is sort of like.. being forced to buy tissue during quarantine. That draft happened in 13 it’s 2020 now..  It’s not like we found 2 decent weapons and we are dropping a pick here and there in order to develop the next contributor to fall into the depth chart. Caldwell down plays stuff every year and the fans just keep following with blind faith like Caldwell is Jesus and it’s sickening. 

• Like 1

Hopefully at the end of tonight we leave with 2 skill position guys on offense. Wouldn't mind drafting OL/S/DL in round 2 but I would hope we can then trade up and get another 3rd rounder. 

R2: S Winfield Minnesota

R3: RB Cam Akers FSU

R3: WR Bryan Edwards USC

If we stand pat:

R2: RB JK Dobbins OSU

or

R2: WR Tee Higgins Clemson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pwny said:

That doesn't answer the question.

If you’re going with your last build which seems to be the case it makes no sense to draft a wideout at the top of the 2nd.. plus nobody left on this board I feel will make an immediate impact yr 1.. so to me if I’m the GM I’m picking the best player on the board if it’s a wideout I take it but as deep as it is wideout wise my philosophy is always size and speed.. therefore if you’re building in the mind of defense establish the physicality aspect of the team. Pick the best big body on your big board on either line. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

10 minutes ago, MJD4MVP5455 said:

Hopefully at the end of tonight we leave with 2 skill position guys on offense. Wouldn't mind drafting OL/S/DL in round 2 but I would hope we can then trade up and get another 3rd rounder. 

R2: S Winfield Minnesota

If we stand pat:

R2: RB JK Dobbins OSU

or

R2: WR Tee Higgins Clemson

Big Edwards guy in a trade up scenario.

59 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

9. (Original: 29) T Ezra Cleveland, Boise State - I see Jake Matthews when watching Cleveland. He absolutely has the footwork to mirror and athleticism to keep his butt to the quarterback, sealing off rush angles. He can absolutely get stronger and re-anchoring can be an issue. Cleveland also hit the elite Combine threshold of a 4.47 short shuttle - which has shown to be a great indicator of future success (OL who hit the mark go on to start over 80 percent of their NFL games).

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-preview/norris-best-available-day-2-0

The more I read the more I like this guy.

I'm going to try and watch some cutups before the draft tn.

He’s athletic but he doesn’t play the brand of football the Jags are use to taking he’s more of a technician, finesse type of tackle. I’d take a strong look at him I can get behind a pick like that. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

Do you guys trust another USC WR?

Everybody doesn’t have the same issues off the field they need a red zone threat he has ok hands.. he’s a 1 trick pony but our lack of size especially with our horrible TE room.. a 6’5 kid with decent speed can help out if they vetted him and his evals check out 🤷‍♂️ I suppose draft him.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

South Carolina? Yeah I'd be fine.

If you're talking about Pittman I would be. He's a special case though.

I saw USC next to Edwards, immediately thought he was a Trojan. My b.