Doug Marrone and his future with the Jaguars

.Buzz

17 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

SO your saying the Shaughnessy int/Fumble isnt a drop?

By the rule of what gets classified as a drop, yes. If a defender impacts the catch, it doesn’t get classified as a drop.

The Jaguars have 7 credited drops on the season:

Lee - 4

Fournette - 1

Hurns - 1

Lewis - 1

11 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

When did Leonard have a drop? I must have missed that.

Not sure. Had to be somewhere week 2-4, as those are the only weeks where all his targets weren’t caught. Probably in the Jets or Titans game, if I were to guess.

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I cant blame the coach when his players can't catch.  Catching shouldn't be a part of a coaches job at this level unless the player was say a qb moving to wr. 

Yeah.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Keenan was a significantly worse WR coach than Sullivan.  In fact, i'd be surprised if he was half as good.

But...ultimately, Keenan can't go out there and make their catches for them.  They have to do that themselves.  And it's less a coachable thing than an athletic/mental trait you draft for.  Right now, we've got a lot of guys with suspect hands.  With ARob out, that means these guys are getting more contested and tough catch situations demanded of them.  And they're failing.

But that's really just more a reflection of a really not very good WR corps outside of ARob.  The route stuff and technical details don't seem substantially worse to me.  But it's hard to even really pay attention to when we barely go to the air in the first place.

Dede Westbrook has been all over twitter the last week or so talking about his progress. Even though I'm not sure he'll be able to do THAT much due to awful QB play, I'm excited to see what he can do. He seems to think he's close, so hopefully he can be back (without being rushed) when first eligible.

36 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Dede Westbrook has been all over twitter the last week or so talking about his progress. Even though I'm not sure he'll be able to do THAT much due to awful QB play, I'm excited to see what he can do. He seems to think he's close, so hopefully he can be back (without being rushed) when first eligible.

He's also a guy who can actually catch.  Which would be appreciated i think.  Much as i still don't want to cheer for him.

• 2 weeks later...

@iPwn - Posting this in response to the Campbell thread as this goes a bit off topic for in there.

But honestly, I'm sort of surprised by the lack of love for the staff as is already. Not everyone is in love with how Blake has been handled, but there's 2 of 3 seasons (especially last year) that point to Blake not being able to play the gunslinger role and still be able to win games/win the turnover battle. Blake may be at his best while he is playing that way, but it has shown time and time again not to be the best for the team. Now, if we can do more of what we did this past week and let him take a shot here and there than fine, but him throwing 40 times a game also isn't the answer.

We have been picking top 5-10 for years, we have had poor QB play this year, etc. and we still sit 4-3, atop the division going into our bye, etc. and yet the praise on here is kind of few and far between as far as the staff goes and people still seem like they'd be ok letting Marrone go after this season.

Guess I just don't get it. Wash was a guy we all freaked out about keeping (me included), and he has shown to have been an excellent hire/smart to keep him around and is heading a top 3 defensive unit that is arguably the best in football this year. The offensive staff has impressively got the OL to play average to above average this season and our run game is miles better than it was compared to last with the only change being Cam Robinson (a 2nd rd rookie) sliding into LT. Our pass pro continues to be very solid for the most part, and we are getting a Blake that although hasn't been good, hasn't done anything to lose us games.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I was for keeping Wash.

Props to you then. I guess freaking out may be harsh, as I wasn't freaking out about it, but after hearing Pettine's name he was a guy I really liked the idea of getting. Changing up some things seemed like a good idea. Happy Marrone and Coughlin went against the grain and held onto him. According to Allbright, Wash is pretty highly viewed league wide and may not be terribly far off from getting a HC gig from the sounds of it too. Mentioned his name as a up and coming candidate a few weeks back on twitter.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I was for keeping Wash.

Yeah.  What Wash has done with the defense has earned him a ton of leash imo.

Still a lot of season left, but so far...it actually looks promising for the staff staying on as a whole really.  Pleasantly surprised by what they've managed to get out of this roster...most games.

Just now, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  What Wash has done with the defense has earned him a ton of leash imo.

Still a lot of season left, but so far...it actually looks promising for the staff staying on as a whole really.  Pleasantly surprised by what they've managed to get out of this roster...most games.

Only game that we really didn't show up was Tennessee. Even then it seemed to be more so due to the total lack of any decent play offensively causing the defense to get gassed.

Otherwise, we were a bonehead few plays from winning against NYJ, and if we didn't have a meltdown on ST against the Rams last week we should have definitely won that one too. All while having a low-tier QB. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Archived