Doug Marrone and his future with the Jaguars

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

It was against the Clots defense, but the offense shocked me on Sunday considering we were missing our three best offensive players and Cam Robinson.

The last few weeks, the offensive staff has called progressively better and better games. 

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The last few weeks, the offensive staff has called progressively better and better games. 

Yeah.  I liked what they did, through the first half especially with the offensive gameplan.  Stuck to the run obviously, but opened things up for Bortles a bit too.  Letting him do a bit more chucking it around where he's historically made most of his best plays.

That Lee pass play call was pretty bad, and felt like a weird time to dive into the bag of tricks.  But the rest of the game was actually not like banging my head against a wall to watch.  Which was nice i thought.  Though it was the Colts defense, which is really really bad and basically let them do whatever they wanted and have their way with them.  Still...looks like progress to me.

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

That would be about Jaguars.

Have an amazing defensive year under Wash...immediately lose him to a HC vacancy somewhere.  Go back to sucking when our team's one really dominant unit submarines under a new DC.  :/

The rumors floating around about Bruce Arians being done in Arizona this year are interesting too though.  If there's one guy i'd think might be able to get something actually good out of Bortles a la that confusing Alex Smith/Harbaugh/Reid conversation in the 2018QB thread...it'd probably be Arians as an OC.  Though still an insanely long shot.

Though i'm not sure how that would jive with the power running game Marrone wants, or how a personality that big would work on the sidelines with Marrone.  Also, i could very much see him just retiring at his age/health, if he doesn't find a fresh new HC gig somewhere he likes (and he probably should).

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That would be about Jaguars.

Have an amazing defensive year under Wash...immediately lose him to a HC vacancy somewhere.  Go back to sucking when our team's one really dominant unit submarines under a new DC.  :/

I highly doubt he gets plucked that quickly, and I think this defense has so much talent that unless we get a DC that comes in and tries to fit round holes in square pegs (based on the way Marrone talked up Wash, I highly doubt he'd do that considering his biggest positive of Wash has been how he's fit the scheme to the players not vice versa). Think if our defense balls out next year again we MAY have to worry (which it most definitely will).

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The rumors floating around about Bruce Arians being done in Arizona this year are interesting too though.  If there's one guy i'd think might be able to get something actually good out of Bortles a la that confusing Alex Smith/Harbaugh/Reid conversation in the 2018QB thread...it'd probably be Arians as an OC.  Though still an insanely long shot.

Though i'm not sure how that would jive with the power running game Marrone wants, or how a personality that big would work on the sidelines with Marrone.  Also, i could very much see him just retiring at his age/health, if he doesn't find a fresh new HC gig somewhere he likes (and he probably should).

I'm thinking he'd retire. He's getting up there in age and has had a few health scares. Not sure he'd want to jump on as an OC after being a pretty successful HC and likely having opportunities if he wanted them elsewhere as a HC. There will be some openings I'm sure.

• 2 months later...

Archived