2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

I haven't seen anything that tells me Kmet can't be a productive NFL TE.  He's played against some of the best defenses in the country and played well.  While similar in size to Shaheen he's far more NFL ready day one than Shaheen was and he carries his weight much better.

There was really only one other player also at a position of need I would have preferred and that was Windfield but admittedly the SS position on our defense is far less important overall than the TE position on our offense so the pick does make a lot of sense.

I hope he does well.  Being a local kid he could become a real fan favorite.

My biggest fear... is that Matt Nagy tries to use him like he did Kelce.

He is not Kelce, he does not move like him, he cannot run those option routes and those double moves.

You need to use him like the Patriots used Gronk. You cannot be cute with him. And I am not saying he is gong to be Gronk, but stylistically he needs to be used like him.

-Freight Train down the seam

-Outs and corners where he can use his big body

-Crossing routes where he gets the ball and a full head of seam

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

His first sentence and last completely contradict one another.

He goes from saying he's a reach to his size/speed combo is rare.

I think the reach bit is because of where he is right now.

I think analyst for the most part look at guys as finished products.

Organizations see a guy with his physical tools, make up, and the fact that he is 21 and they see what he is likely going to be,

33 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Kmet is fine and might be very good, I think the knock on the pick remains value and timing.

I think the value thing is a little overblown...if you offered me Kmet at #43 or T.J Hockenson at #8 I would probably take Kmet for the simple fact of value...Hockenson was a better prospect no doubt but is he 35 picks better? Not so sure...getting the best player at the position in his draft at #43 doesn't seem like bad value to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

Kmet is fine and might be very good, I think the knock on the pick remains value and timing.

I think the counter to the value argument is that there was s sharp drop off after Kmet. The risk of waiting 7-10-15 picks could cause you to end up waiting 50 picks before you like the value again.

Specifically, if you look in the NFC North, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 114.3 and 4.5 yards per carry against ’12’ according to Sharp Football. The Vikings allowed a passer rating of 102.8 and the Lions 101.9. In three wide, one tight end sets, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 77.9, the Vikings, 89.7 and the Lions 96.5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Specifically, if you look in the NFC North, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 114.3 and 4.5 yards per carry against ’12’ according to Sharp Football. The Vikings allowed a passer rating of 102.8 and the Lions 101.9. In three wide, one tight end sets, the Packers allowed a passer rating of 77.9, the Vikings, 89.7 and the Lions 96.5.

Now factor in Trubisky/Foles and the passer rating drops 10-15 points & ypc drops 0.5-1.0.

Edited by beardown3231

Just now, Madmike90 said:

It would be had 2 or 3 other TEs been drafted around him but Kmet was clearly viewed by far in a way as the #1 TE in the class.

I hate to compliment Ryan Pace

But taking Johnson and Kmet would have looked better "value" wise, Johnson was a much higher ranked prospect by pretty much everyone.

But when Kmet was picked there was still 3 CBs that were highly ranked in Johnson, Diggs, and Fulton. There was a better chance that one of those CBs was going to make it 7 picks, all of them did, than Kmet was going to as the only TE with a high grade.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I hate to compliment Ryan Pace

But taking Johnson and Kmet would have looked better "value" wise, Johnson was a much higher ranked prospect by pretty much everyone.

But when Kmet was picked there was still 3 CBs that were highly ranked in Johnson, Diggs, and Fulton. There was a better chance that one of those CBs was going to make it 7 picks, all of them did, than Kmet was going to as the only TE with a high grade.

Excellent point.   As a prospect Kmet wasn't that high, but there was only one of him (meaning most of other TEs were lower rated).  Supply and demand moves him up.  The depth at corner means you can gamble that someone you like will be there next.  

We talked about this last year going through draft scenarios.  We knew we were going to draft a RB, but if you wanted a TE you had to go early.  You couldn't go RB with first pick because they would all be gone.  So you had to decide if you wanted any of the TEs or not ahead of time.  They decided they didn't want any of them.  

Raiders did opposite philosophy this year and last year.  They took their guys when it was their turn and that's fine, but they didn't maximize the value of their picks.   They could have still gotten their guys (probably) at lower slots and gotten more guys present and future by moving around the draft board.

• Like 2