2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

What I like about him is he seems coordinated and smooth in his movements. Not Kelce smooth, he moves like a 5’9” slot.

Shaheen busted because his feet are terrible and he is an uncoordinated boob. He can’t stay upright and loses all his speed and size because he is falling half the time.

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Still looks slow to me.

Because he is slow out of his breaks.  Makes him look slower than he is, but it also keeps him from separating.  I think it is not impossible for him to get better at that.  He is a good athlete.  

He is a Y TE whose niche will be getting lost in zone and he can get open off RPOs where LB steps up.  You can also line him up as a FB or WB and he can get open off being a lead blocker sometimes and then faking that and becoming a receiver behind the D.

He also has straight line speed to run the seam and corner effectively.  But he isn’t going to be effective running stick and option routes at this time IMO.  He couldn’t get man separation in college, no reason to think he can in NFL.  

None of that matters unless he gets better at blocking. Because he won’t play (for long) unless he can block.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Because he is slow out of his breaks.  Makes him look slower than he is, but it also keeps him from separating.  I think it is not impossible for him to get better at that.  He is a good athlete.  

He is a Y TE whose niche will be getting lost in zone and he can get open off RPOs where LB steps up.  You can also line him up as a FB or WB and he can get open off being a lead blocker sometimes and then faking that and becoming a receiver behind the D.

He also has straight line speed to run the seam and corner effectively.  But he isn’t going to be effective running stick and option routes at this time IMO.  He couldn’t get man separation in college, no reason to think he can in NFL.  

None of that matters unless he gets better at blocking. Because he won’t play (for long) unless he can block.   

Separate from man coverage is not something many TEs do, if you mean in the traditional sense of getting 2-3 steps on a defender. Most of them are huge and need a step to be open against man coverage.

Most of the time they are huge with massive catch radiuses.

Like most TEs his niche will be holes in zones, being enormous running the slot, and using his big body against man coverage.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Separate from man coverage is not something many TEs do, if you mean in the traditional sense of getting 2-3 steps on a defender. Most of them are huge and need a step to be open against man coverage.

Most of the time they are huge with massive catch radiuses.

Like most TEs his niche will be holes in zones, being enormous running the slot, and using his big body against man coverage.

Yes, I agree.  Good TEs are rare in general.

Ertz, Kelce, Hunter Henry when healthy get the kind of separation I am speaking of.  The 49ers TE - forgetting his name right this second.     

Almost nobody in NFL gets great separation.  Tyreek Hill is only one that comes to mind currently.  I am sure there are others.

There are in my estimation 4 TEs in the NFL that are freakish athletes

Kelce

Cook

Waller

Kittle

*Kmet is 100% not in that group.

There is another group of TEs that combine good athletic tools with being massive human beings with good hands

Gronk-the cream of the crop here

Ertz

Rudolph

Hunter Henry

Kmet is in this group and he is on the upper end of size in terms of this group.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are in my estimation 4 TEs in the NFL that are freakish athletes

Kelce

Cook

Waller

Kittle

*Kmet is 100% not in that group.

There is another group of TEs that combine good athletic tools with being massive human beings with good hands

Gronk-the cream of the crop here

Ertz

Rudolph

Hunter Henry

Kmet is in this group and he is on the upper end of size in terms of this group.

I hope he turns into a stud.  He seems a good dude.  Localish kid.  Good all around TEs are hard to find and harder to project.  

Nobody seems to have the formula yet, because most of good ones keep getting picked later in draft.  

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

TEs Ranked by Average Separation

Kittle 12th

Kelce 14th

Ertz 24th

Henry 27th

Good TEs do not get great separation, they are really good at making contested catches.

I think stats always need more context.  Those are TEs that are focused on.  Thus less separation.  Often there is a man assigned to them, sometimes two.  

Unfeared TEs get to run around unmolested and defense figures they will get to them later or close on them or QB won’t usually throw to them.

Those guys can get very good separation.  But yes contested catches are largest part of being a big receiver which is kind of definition of a TE.