2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I hate to compliment Ryan Pace

But taking Johnson and Kmet would have looked better "value" wise, Johnson was a much higher ranked prospect by pretty much everyone.

But when Kmet was picked there was still 3 CBs that were highly ranked in Johnson, Diggs, and Fulton. There was a better chance that one of those CBs was going to make it 7 picks, all of them did, than Kmet was going to as the only TE with a high grade.

In addition to scarcity it was also reflective of what we want to do on offense philosophically. Namely, emphasize the TE position over WR. Ertz and Goedert combined for 212 targets last year, and while that’s probably somewhat inflated by all of their WR injuries and lack of an alpha at WR like we have in Robinson they had 200 combined targets in 2018 too. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 8-10 targets a game to Graham and Kmet collectively in 2020. That’s how this offense works best. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

In addition to scarcity it was also reflective of what we want to do on offense philosophically. Namely, emphasize the TE position over WR. Ertz and Goedert combined for 212 targets last year, and while that’s probably somewhat inflated by all of their WR injuries and lack of an alpha at WR like we have in Robinson they had 200 combined targets in 2018 too. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 8-10 targets a game to Graham and Kmet collectively in 2020. That’s how this offense works best. 

With Tru or Foles this should be a pretty safe bet. Tru likely will be trying to be safe so ARob, Miller and his TEs will get a heavy workload, I still don't see him pushing the ball downfield much. Both TEs are really big guys who have shown the ability to "box out" defenders so they are going to be safety nets for him. Foles because he clearly showed a history with TEs and attacking between the numbers. If healthy I'd bet 160 targets would be pretty possible for them combined. 

Based on last season the Bears have about 575 targets to dole out. The Chiefs and Eagles were almost identical.

Robinson 153

Miller 85

Gabriel  48

Wims 39

Patterson 17

Ridley 1

Burton 25

Shaheen 13

Horsted 10

Holtz 8

Braunacker 11

Saubert 3

Cohen 104

Montgomery 35

Davis 8

TE Targets

Eagles

2019: 222

2018: 200 [156 Ertz]

Chiefs
2019: 155

2018: 162 [137 Kelce]

*I do not think that they will target Graham as much as Kelce and Ertz and he won't play that many snaps.

*I think we will see about 130 combine targets at TE

Graham 80 [2018 Burton]

Kmet 50 [2018 Rookie Goeddert]

*Maybe 10-15 for for Harris and Horsted

Edited by WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think it will look something like this

Robinson 130

Miller 85

Mooney 20

Wims 20

Patterson 25

Ridley 20

Graham 75

Kmet 45

Harris 10

Horsted 5

Holtz 8

Cohen 80

Montgomery 50

RB3 7

580 targets

I struggle to see our WRs 3-6 getting 85 targets if our TE are getting 130. That means WR 3-6 are almost surely seeing significantly less reps, with a decent share of the WR3 reps probably going to Cohen too. I’m guessing one of Ridley or Wims is probably inactive most weeks. I’d like to see a target split like what you’ve outlined here between Montgomery and Cohen though. 

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I struggle to see our WRs 3-6 getting 85 targets if our TE are getting 130. That means WR 3-6 are almost surely seeing significantly less reps, with a decent share of the WR3 reps probably going to Cohen too. I’m guessing one of Ridley or Wims is probably inactive most weeks. I’d like to see a target split like what you’ve outlined here between Montgomery and Cohen though. 

I think WR 3-6 will combine for about 85 targets.

I just have no idea who those guys are going to be and how much in a rotation they will play. That is less than 3-6 got in KC and Philly.

Just now, chisoxguy7 said:

Patterson could function as our 1B to Montgomery, which could see him being more involved. Cohen should not be taking hand offs.

We need to use Cohen less across the board.

104 targets is ridiculous for what he brings to the table.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We need to use Cohen less across the board.

104 targets is ridiculous for what he brings to the table.

He should see 20 snaps or so a game, in my opinion. Run him on reverses, run him as a decoy, run him in 2RB looks, toss him a screen or a bubble, angle route, wheel route, anything. But he should never be running the ball between the tackles.

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I would love to see them running Cohen on drag routes with Kmet or Graham running up the seam.

I still want to see him used as NE used Dion Lewis. Curl up to the LOS and read the LB/S's leverage, then break in or out based on that. With that option route he should be able to get 3-4 receptions a game and at least one chunk play since he has a head start. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I still want to see him used as NE used Dion Lewis. Curl up to the LOS and read the LB/S's leverage, then break in or out based on that. With that option route he should be able to get 3-4 receptions a game and at least one chunk play since he has a head start. 

Exactly. The whole thing with Cohen is—is he shifty? Yes. However, it’s a heck of a lot more difficult to put a move or three on a guy or five to get into the open. It’s a lot easier to scheme a guy open and allow his physical mismatch to exploit that existing advantage. The Rams do a great job of doing this.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

This.  And punt returner.  He is a good and valuable player if used within his strengths 

• Like 1