2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think WR 3-6 will combine for about 85 targets.

I just have no idea who those guys are going to be and how much in a rotation they will play. That is less than 3-6 got in KC and Philly.

It’ll be game specific for sure, and I can see games where our WR3-6 get 6 or so targets but also see games where they get 0-1 targets and any WR below WR3 on the depth chart seldomly if at all see the field on offense because those looks are going to Cohen. 85 targets assumes 5-6 targets per game on average which is roughly a 17% share. Just feels high to me, especially with 2 TE now who are actual passing game assets. I think the volume usually going to our WR3 (about 50 targets) is most of what will now be getting allocated to Kmet. Our WR4-6 are sparsely targeted at all because of how we deploy Cohen.

This obviously is assuming ARob and Miller stay healthy, which is just an assumption. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’ll be game specific for sure, and I can see games where our WR3-6 get 6 or so targets but also see games where they get 0-1 targets and any WR below WR3 on the depth chart seldomly if at all see the field on offense because those looks are going to Cohen. 85 targets assumes 5-6 targets per game on average which is roughly a 17% share. Just feels high to me, especially with 2 TE now who are actual passing game assets. I think the volume usually going to our WR3 (about 50 targets) is most of what will now be getting allocated to Kmet. Our WR4-6 are sparsely targeted at all because of how we deploy Cohen.

This obviously is assuming ARob and Miller stay healthy, which is just an assumption. 

Kansas City seems to be consistent in terms of targets

WR: 295

TE: 165

RB: 100

I think you are correct that we will see more in the RB area with Cohen and less in the WR group.

TE seems about right, but I expect it to be a little lower.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, WindyCity said:

I hate to compliment Ryan Pace

But taking Johnson and Kmet would have looked better "value" wise, Johnson was a much higher ranked prospect by pretty much everyone.

But when Kmet was picked there was still 3 CBs that were highly ranked in Johnson, Diggs, and Fulton. There was a better chance that one of those CBs was going to make it 7 picks, all of them did, than Kmet was going to as the only TE with a high grade.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G08 said:

tenor.gif

Other than no Olmen, and I didn’t love the 2nd round options outside of Jones, who there was clearly something up with, I am fine with the draft.

As I said predraft, I don’t love the Kmet pick, but I 100% understand the thought process.

We needed a draft like this and not one of his boutique cute specials. Good players, from real schools, with a blend of production and upside.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Other than no Olmen, and I didn’t love the 2nd round options outside of Jones, who there was clearly something up with, I am fine with the draft.

As I said predraft, I don’t love the Kmet pick, but I 100% understand the thought process.

We needed a draft like this and not one of his boutique cute specials. Good players, from real schools, with a blend of production and upside.

Besides Notre Dame, Utah and Colorado who was from a "real school?"

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Besides Notre Dame, Utah and Colorado who was from a "real school?"

Sorry, I should have said in day 1 and 2.

I have no issues with day 3 small school guys. You usually get nice value and upside there.

Kmet and Johnson both played at big programs in real games. Both their schools are known for producing guys at their positions. Utah and the defense.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1

Just now, WindyCity said:

Sorry, I should have said in day 1 and 2.

I have no issues with day 3 small school guys. You usually get nice value and upside there.

Kmet and Johnson both played at big programs in real games. Both their schools are known for producing guys at their positions. Utah and the defense.

I understand, and I agree.

I was going to say: he typically only takes 1-2 small/smallish school guys per draft.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I understand, and I agree.

I was going to say: he typically only takes 1-2 small/smallish school guys per draft.

It isn't just small school guys.

His higher end misses have been on guys with limited experience/production from tier 2 schools as well. Mitch ans White were stars on bad teams.

25 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It isn't just small school guys.

His higher end misses have been on guys with limited experience/production from tier 2 schools as well. Mitch ans White were stars on bad teams.

I don't really tier schools. If you play in the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and the Pac 12 (and even the MWC & Conference USA to some extent) you play at a big school.

I did a count before this draft and I believe it was 7 "small school guys" prior to this one. That's neither bad or good IMO because I've been adamant about that not necessarily making a difference, except Pace has hit on only two of those 7: Cohen and DHC (I'm considering a hit because for a late round guy he's turned into a good ST player). Nichols could be the 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like this kid is balls deep in the playbook already. Nagy said he's tried to stump Kmet during Zoom meetings and hasn't been able to crack the kid yet. Nagy said he's 100% confident Cole Kmet will know the playbook inside-out, which is awesome to hear. If he can hold his own blocking at the POA and adjusting routes based on coverages he's seeing, he might make some noise in 2020.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure I can over state the value of having an above average blocker at TE, which I think Kmet profiles as, who can also be a threat in the passing game.

No player puts the DC in more of a conflict.

The question will be how quickly he can acclimate to "NFL man" strength. Kid has the frame, don't know enough about his strength/base.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

The question will be how quickly he can acclimate to "NFL man" strength. Kid has the frame, don't know enough about his strength/base.

I have watched a lot of him.  I would say his blocking improvement will need to be 70% technical and 30% man strength.

Most of his bad reps come from woeful positioning and dipping his head.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have watched a lot of him.  I would say his blocking improvement will need to be 70% technical and 30% man strength.

Most of his bad reps come from woeful positioning and dipping his head.

So reps, reps, reps. I can live with that. Nagy on his call also flat-out said this kid is not going to be Travis Kelce, BUT he does see Kmet as a 'Y' who can play some 'U'