2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

53 minutes ago, Epyon said:

So real talk.... we need WR speed and I'm already through the guys I had on my board.....

Who should I be looking out for in the later rounds, since I feel like it's still a need to be addressed, and I'm rather shocked we didn't already do so

It'll be slim pickings by the time we pick. Not having a pick for another ~100 picks hurts. This is why we should have used one of the 2nd round picks to move down. But it it is what it is. 

I am in stage 2 now.  

What are positives of Kmet?

Well, size matters in football.  This guy is 6’6 and 265 lbs.  That is a big TE and he wears his weight well.    He looks like a fighter body.

Speed and athleticism matters in football.  This guy runs fast and jumps far (indicating explosiveness).

He catches ball with hands and his hands are strong.  He nearly ripped the arm off a BC safety on a 50/50 ball.  

He is a willing blocker and seemed to improve throughout year indicating that he was working on his flaws.

Negatives are what we have been focusing on:

He is not fast out of breaks and takes time to hit his stride.  

He does not separate in man coverage.

His blocking tech is not where it needs to be at this point.

I think he has potential obviously.   He is a huge, good athlete.  It will come down to how he develops and works on his craft.   

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So I said in GB thread that when GM of your team takes a guy you dont want the fan goes through stages:

1) AAAAAAAAAAAA! You idiot!

2) Not that bad.

3) Genius (At least until proven otherwise)

/1

4) see, i told you it was a horrible pick! (if they bust)

Really we don’t have a choice but to like him and hope he succeeds.  Doing otherwise would just be miserable.  This is just the yearly reminder that we have no control over this team, no matter how much time we spend pouring over draft prospect, possible FAs, coaching candidates, etc.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

4) see, i told you it was a horrible pick! (if they bust)

Really we don’t have a choice but to like him and hope he succeeds.  Doing otherwise would just be miserable.  This is just the yearly reminder that we have no control over this team, no matter how much time we spend pouring over draft prospect, possible FAs, coaching candidates, etc.

Truth brother.

Why I cut way back on ‘scouting’.  Hilarious scene in Fever Pitch where Fallon character tells Berrymore that he can’t be with her because he has to spend a couple weeks scouting Red Sox prospects.   She is like that is awesome, they listen to you?   .... well no. 

I tell myself in recent years just to wait and see.  But then I don’t do it.  At least I do it less.  

Edited by dll2000
Typo
  • Like 2

IMHO once again Pace left better talent on the board continuing to be a slave to Matt Nagy's needs on offense.  In past three years we have spent over $31 mil in salary guarantees on vet TEs as well as drafting two mid second round rookie TEs and signed countless other FA and UDFA TEs trying to fill the position.  This reminds me of Cleveland drafting QBs every year trying to get it right but more often than not failing to do so.

This was a very weak TE class.  So much so that in others years Kmet may not have gone higher than round three.  We're paying Graham big money ($9 mil gtd) to start at the "U" position and have a good looking 2nd year prospect in Horsted being developed behind him.   Harris was signed as a "Y" TE and we brought back Holtz to compete as well.  Then we can add 5 more various and sundry TEs to the mix and yet we still draft another.

Scouting reports on Kmet seem divided as to whether he's more of a "Y" or "U" TE.  All seem to rate him as a decent prospect but nothing special.  With Antoine Windfield Jr. still on the board and a shot at drafting him as a hybrid SS/Slot DB I can't see the value in taking Kmet over him and instead looking to 2021 when we'll once again have a 1st round pick to possibly draft a better TE prospect than Cole Kmet.

Until we see him play we can't really judge him fully but based on the players left on the board I'm still gonna label this a questionable pick and one Pace and Nagy had better have gotten right.  With only a 50/50 chance Graham will be here for more than one season Kmet will be expected to take over the #1 TE spot in 2021 and produce at a very high level.  Is he a kid who can do that?  I don't know that I see that kind of upside in him.

• Like 2

Some more information that has since helped calm my *** down... in 2019 the Bears were in 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends, two wide receivers) 13% of their plays which was 3rd LOWEST in the NFL.

In contrast, the Eagles were 1st in the league and the Chiefs were 5th. Those are the two offenses in the NFL that mirror our offense the closest.

As I said earlier this week, I do not love Kmet, but I understand the thought process.

The Chiefs and Eagles run a lot of 2 TE sets

-Eagles over 2018 and 2019 averaged close to 50% of snaps running 2 TEs.

-The Chiefs ran 2 TEs close to 40% of the time and they did not really have a good TE2.

-The Bears ran it less than 20% over the last 2 years.

Nagy has not been able to run the offense as it is designed because of the lack of TE talent.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears do not have 10 TEs they have,

-2 TEs that are not really good

-2 Street Free Agents from last season

-6 UDFAs, Street Free Agents, and Basketball Players.

So your saying those two guys that started looking good at the end of last year only seemed to look good because every thing else at that position looked so bad?  This is so sad but I am afraid it is true.

Edited by Bfan

The Bears need a complete TE. The Eagles and Chiefs have complete TEs and while I do not think that Kmet is ever going to have the athletic tools of Kelce, but he can do block and threaten in the passing game.

Before Kmet the Bears were always going to have a tell on offense,

-When Graham is on the field the defense knows you are passing or you are running with a liability on the field because Graham cannot block.

-When Harris is on the field the offense knows you are running the ball or you are passing with a liability on the field because Harris is not a great reciever.

Kmet is there best chance at a complete TE that does not tip the defense to what is happening.

• Like 1