2nd Round (43rd overall) - TE Cole Kmet, Notre Dame | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

IDK. I know he is listed around 260 but I don't believe he is anywhere near as strong as his size should indicate. I'm not expecting an athletic TE to be a drive blocker but as of right now I'm not sure he can consistently even get in the way of defenders. 

Because he doesn’t roll his hips.  Makes all the difference in power.  To his credit he usually stops his guy from making the tackle.  

IMO Y TEs are easier to find adequate players at than good U TEs. Graham is a band aid and shouldn't deter your draft philosophy. Claypool could move between the U and the Z as needed so we could still play 2 TE sets regularly and get Miller on the field too, and he is absolutely a better blocker at only 20 pounds less. 

I don’t know we seem to be unable to find a Y.  I don’t know that I can think of more than handful of real good Y tight ends.  

I hope Pace proves me wrong but Knet seems like a high floor pick rather than a high ceiling pick. Maybe Kmet finds a calling as a great redzone target, and if he is good at that then he will be well worth the 2nd round pick. 

Not sure he is going to be a great red zone player as he is not a leaping high point player.  His niche, if it happens, will be being physical and getting lost in zone coverage.  

Last season the Bears targeted the TEs 51 times

If we look at 2018 Burton [76] and rookie Dallas Goedert [44] as rough targets for Graham and Kmet you have 110 total targets at TE.

The Bears need to find 59 targets somewhere and I do not think it will be Cohen, it is going to come from the 111 targets that the backup WRs got.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would agree with that but you look at his frame and honestly I reckon with dedication, diet and the weight room this guy could play at around 270lbs-275lbs and still be athletic...he is only 21 years old and has been playing baseball alongside football...get him focused and in the weight room and he can easily add really good weight and strength to that frame...he does that and he could be special.

That is a valid point. Hell we saw CornWash blow up to be able to play on the DL full time, adding 10-15 pounds to Kmets frame shouldnt be too hard. Hopefully he sees a significant jump in strength too though, kid just seems physically weak. High motor, but just not physically there. 

If we want to make some moves... 

We can package our 5th and both our 6th round picks to move up to pick 125 in round 4

We can package our 5th and one of our 6th round picks to move up to pick 138 in round 4

We  can package both 6th round picks and move up to pick 170 in round 5.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

That is a valid point. Hell we saw CornWash blow up to be able to play on the DL full time, adding 10-15 pounds to Kmets frame shouldnt be too hard. Hopefully he sees a significant jump in strength too though, kid just seems physically weak. High motor, but just not physically there. 

I don't think he looks weak...needs to add strength certainly but not weak.

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Talking about Iowa in case anybody missed the connection.  

This is the honest to goodness Iowa secret, Kirk Ferentz goes around to the position groups that are deep and everybody cant play, finds the biggest TE and makes him an OT, he then will find the best bigger athlete somewhere else, and make him a TE.  Nobody anywhere in football coaches OL and TEs as well as the Ferentz family

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t agree with the lo ceiling.

He is 6’6” 262 with top end athletic ability and has never focused fully on football. He will get more refined in the position and you can’t teach his natural ability.

He has extra motivation to do this too beings that he is super excited for playing for his (and his family's) favorite NFL team. And he has a vet like Graham to learn from. 

This pick seems to be hated but honestly, forget the other TE's. The roster is Jimmy Graham and Kmet. With maybe Hultz as a FB/H-back.

Also Kmet should be the answer at TE for at least his full 5 year deal. I like the pick but it does remind us how bad the Shaheen pick was.

Edited by MonserinNC

19 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

This pick seems to be hated but honestly, forget the other TE's. The roster is Jimmy Graham and Kmet. With maybe Hultz as a FB/H-back.

Also Kmet should be the answer at TE for at least his full 5 year deal. I like the pick but it does remind us how bad the Shaheen pick was.

We should have known Shaheen was way too soft when his blocking was questioned at the division 2 level.

He was 6’6 275lbs and was struggling to block PE Teachers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We should have known Shaheen was way too soft when his blocking was questioned at the division 2 level.

He was 6’6 275lbs and was struggling to block PE Teachers.

Terrible pick.....might as well just ignore it....I put it up there with Dan Bauzin.....for the sake of THIS draft though, we got the undisputed top TE for 2020.....pretty good pick IMO. Dont let past years mistakes sour you on this years picks.

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Terrible pick.....might as well just ignore it....I put it up there with Dan Bauzin.....for the sake of THIS draft though, we got the undisputed top TE for 2020.....pretty good pick IMO. Dont let past years mistakes sour you on this years picks.

I wouldn't say undisputed...