2nd Round // DE/LB Darrell Taylor // Tennessee

SaveOurSonics

Darrell Taylor // DE/LB // Tennessee

NFL Draft: Who will select Darrell Taylor, Jauan Jennings of ...

SoS Scouting Report

Strengths: Great combination of size, length (33" arms), and athleticism leads to desirable potential at the next level; could realistically be utilized in a 43DE or 34LB role and that type of versatility is coveted. Really strong at the POA, leverages his long arms to get on the inside of his opponent and rarely gets moved off his mark, making him sturdy against the run. Does a good job pursuing plays from behind, doesn't quit even on plays in the opposite direction. Vice grip hands that rarely allow ball carries to escape once he has a paw on them. Flashes the flexibility around the edge that provides promise he could be developed in this area.

WeaknessesWhile he plays with a strong upper body and sturdiness at the POA, he doesn't give you the necessary leg drive to move his man or push the pocket, frequently gets into stalemates at the LOS. While he does flash useful burst off the snap, he really doesn't utilize this tool to threaten his man around the edge, often resorting to power rushes. Due to this, you'll see him get washed out of a lot of plays and bullied by power tackles (he was erased in the Georgia game). Doesn't show off a natural bend around the edge and plays with an alarming lack of pass rush moves to beat his man, he's all potential at this point with a lot of necessary coaching due in the future. History of anger issues cannot go ignored, disciplined several times for striking opponents and teammates.

Takeaway: This is ultimately a player who struggles to generate consistent pressure off the edge. His best fit at the next level will be as a sturdy, athletic 34LB with room for big development as a rusher.

Draft Grade: Mid-Late 3rd Round

Edited by SaveOurSonics

I like the pick, I just don't like the trade up for him. Seattle must've heard rumors that someone was going to take him prior to their original 2nd. Giving up a 2nd and 3rd is kind of a "WTF" from me, but whatever if he pans out. Again, I would've been perfectly fine taking him at the end of the 2nd or even where he went assuming we didn't have to trade up. 

That said, Taylor has a very high pass rush grade, so I can't knock Seattle for taking a pass rusher here. I also think they were scared the Rams were going to pull the trigger on him as they had 2 2nds before both ours.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:50 AM, NFL_Announcer said:

I like the pick, I just don't like the trade up for him. Seattle must've heard rumors that someone was going to take him prior to their original 2nd. Giving up a 2nd and 3rd is kind of a "WTF" from me, but whatever if he pans out. Again, I would've been perfectly fine taking him at the end of the 2nd or even where he went assuming we didn't have to trade up. 

That said, Taylor has a very high pass rush grade, so I can't knock Seattle for taking a pass rusher here. I also think they were scared the Rams were going to pull the trigger on him as they had 2 2nds before both ours.

Based on the trade; gotta believe JSPC believed he could have been picked by Pittsburgh (Took Highsmith in the 3rd), Rams (Terrell Lewis 3rd), Vikings (DJ Wonnum 4th) among others. All had picks prior to 59.  

Whether you agree or not, PCJS viewed him as a late 1st, early 2nd guy. There's a good chance other teams had a similar view on him. 

6 hours ago, animaltested said:

Based on the trade; gotta believe JSPC believed he could have been picked by Pittsburgh (Took Highsmith in the 3rd), Rams (Terrell Lewis 3rd), Vikings (DJ Wonnum 4th) among others. All had picks prior to 59.  

Whether you agree or not, PCJS viewed him as a late 1st, early 2nd guy. There's a good chance other teams had a similar view on him. 

One thing I have noticed is that this FO seems to create tier groups for each position group (as you should) and really focuses on grabbing players at the end of tiers before the position-group seemingly falls off a cliff. They pretty much pointed out that being the reason for the Collier and Blair picks last year. 

With Darrell Taylor, you'll notice that he was the last 7-tech capable player selected until the end of the 3rd round (and even that's a bit of reach with Terrell Lewis and Jonathan Greenard being selected as rush-LBs). 

Similarly, with Brooks (factoring out Queen who was taken one pick later), you'll notice that not another off-ball LB was selected until the 63rd pick and only two in total were taken between Brooks/Queen and the end of the 3rd round (#96 overall). 

Whether it's a good strategy or not can be up for debate, but PCJS show a great ability to feel out the board and pounce on position groups before it's too late. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 1

Watched the every snap's for Georgia, Florida and BYU. I mean I don't have the keen eye as others, but IDK here are my thoughts.

DT is never dominant. I think because of that, Seattle fans should temper our expectations for Taylor in year 1. Overall, barring an injury in camp, or no pre-season, I think Taylor starts game 1 at LEO. (Even if they resign Clowney, who I think flips over to 5 TECH). Out the gate, he can be a very solid early down edge. Holds his edge / contain really well. Gobbles up anything in his grasp. Has the athleticism to stay with RB's and TEs in the flats and up the wheel. Last year Seattle was carved up on those short in's and slants. DT has the length to hold his edge, and get those long limbs up into passing lanes. 

His pass rush is meh. I think he tends to emphasize maintaining containment over getting up field in the rush. It might have been a scheme thing. But there was one play in particular that might show what DT is capable of brilliant things rushing the passer. Against Florida is started upfield attacking the RT's right side. Using his left arm, he punched the right shoulder of the tackle, knocking them off balance. In one continued motion, he ducked underneath the tackle inside, and up into the pocket. QB immediate fled and threw the ball away. 

Seattle probably works with DT to improve his "get off" and having a plan of attack in rushing the passer. 

Edited by animaltested

• 7 months later...