2020 Draft | Eagles select: Jalen Hurts (#53 ovr)

Kiltman

Its week 18, on the verge of a Playoff game. Both Wentz and Sudfeld are out. Who right now would you want starting.

Lauletta 

Hurts (full year in the system learning at that point)

Thorston

Or any other QB in this years draft after the 4 taken in the 1st rd.

They do not want to waste an entire season all over again because on one Fluke play they had to use another Josh Mckown type QB with absolutely no upside. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

So, I'm stuck in the house working.
And I listen to sports talk all day.
It takes the edge off, not my boredom, but my IQ.

"Hurts was drafted so that the Eagles can run a two QB offense.  They call it eleventeen personnel."
"Hurts was drated because Wentz is COVID-19 positive and they're scared he'll retire soon."
"Hurts was drafted because Pederson is COVID-19 positive and was inhaling disinfectants during the draft."
"Hurts was drafted because the Eagles haven't had much luck drafting QB's late since A.J. Feeley and they needed a QB2 in the draft, so they needed to take one in round 2."
"Hurts was drafted because, because, because, HOWIE SUCKS!"

Three QB's were taken in the first three picks.  They were clearly the cream of the crop.
Another QB, Jordan Love, was taken in the 1st.
Then the Eagles took Hurts (2nd round, 53).
Another QB was taken almost 70 picks later in the 4th and another later in the 4th.
Just one in the 5th.  One in the 6th and four more late in the 7th.
If you think any of these QB's are better than Hurts, then it was clearly a bad pick.
(Eason, Morgan, Fromm, Luton, McDonald, DiNucci, Stevens, Stanley)
So, that's the QB side of the draft.

There still remains the possibility that there was simply a better pick.
Take your pick:  AJ Espenesa, JK Dobbins, Kristian Fulton, Denzel Mims, Jeremy Chinn, Logan Wilson, Justin Madubuike, et al.
It can be said that any of these picks would help the Eagles more in 2020, and you wouldn't be wrong.

But, then there is value.
Value isn't expressed simply in terms of immediate return.  And QB's have the most value.
That value increases exponentially if you can get a starting QB after the top of the draft.
Whether it is as a future starting QB for your team or a potential starting QB for another team who can be traded, the "value" is there, you win.
Again, you can debate the long term value of Hurts and that is also valid.
However, I get the sense that the Eagles graded Hurts highly in that respect, to the point where they doubted he'd be there with their next pick.
(For the record, I think they would have preferred Love.)

So, I get the sense that the Eagles calculated the expected utility of drafting Hurts and came to the conclusion that his selection was more valuable over the combined short/long term than anyone else.
I am not saying it was correct, but rather why they did it (and to dispel kooky rationale).
They have a QB2, a potential future starter and a player who could be exchanged for greater value if neither of the aforementioned scenarios come to pass.
I am not trying to defend the pick, but I am articulating my understanding of it.

Finally, I get the sense this was Peterson's pick, not Roseman's.
He wanted this.

I hate it when people say, "You have to wait a couple of years to know."
But, in reality this isn't going to pay immediate dividends.
It may, however, be the best pick in the draft ..... or the worst, especially if he stinks.
Patience, anyone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

That's an acceptable explanation of drafting a qb in the 4th round.

Also the highest paid backup next year is only making 6 million a year and that's case keenum in cleveland. Don't let the eagles lie to you kitly.

I’m trying here man

A shred of sense 

All i want

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Im cool with the pick now. He's an Eagle so it is what it is. I just feel bad for him now lol.  It's non stop hatred towards Howie and the pick. I know not a lot of people are knocking his talent but he may think the entire fan base hates him lol

And that like every negative poster in this forum will be forgotten and dismissed the minute he steps foot on the field as a backup and somehow wins a game for the Eagles. 

Then the flip floppers will want Hurts to be the Starter, lets get rid of Wentz. Seen this song and dance to many times before I've lost count. It's what we as a fan base always do.

• Like 1

Think this below might be another reason they chose Hurts. Like it or not, saving money at the QB position can be used towards signing or resigning potential FA.

But instead of spending big cash on a veteran in free agency, they opted to find a quality (and more affordable) backup in the draft. Considering the going rate for high-end backup QBs is in the $3 million-plus range with the potential to reach into double digits, the Eagles are saving money and securing cost certainty by investing in a young quarterback.

Think about it this way. For a little over $6 million, the Eagles have locked up their QB2 for the next four years. Hurts will count for just under $1.1 million against the salary cap in 2020, per Over The Cap, which is a bargain for a marquee position on the roster.

Just now, EaglesPeteC said:

Having now the top 2 best QB’s in the division 

I don't think Jalen Hurts can play QB in the NFL, and I had that opinion before the Eagles selected him.  You guys took a project QB in the 2nd round when you have a starting QB already locked up on a long term extension.  Also, the only way Hurts works in the NFL is to completely redesign an offense around him, which makes him a terrible backup QB for a traditional pocket passer.  I'm like 99% sure you guys wasted a 2nd round pick.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't think Jalen Hurts can play QB in the NFL, and I had that opinion before the Eagles selected him.  You guys took a project QB in the 2nd round when you have a starting QB already locked up on a long term extension.  Also, the only way Hurts works in the NFL is to completely redesign an offense around him, which makes him a terrible backup QB for a traditional pocket passer.  I'm like 99% sure you guys wasted a 2nd round pick.

I am pretty sure we did to, but he is probably better than your starter so........