2020 Draft Pick #55 - JK Dobbins

coordinator0

4. J.K. DOBBINS, Ohio State (5-9 ½, 209, no 40, 1-2): 

Dobbins is a third-year junior and a three-year starter. “Like him,” said one scout. “He runs hard. Just a natural runner. He’s good on first contact. He runs with an edge. He’s going to be a really good back.” Dobbins played his best in big games and finished with 724 carries for 4,459 (6.2) and 38 TDs to go with 71 receptions. “We had an awesome interview with him,” said another scout. “He’s really smart, really upbeat. He loves football. The whole thing is important to him. He knows what he’s doing. He wants to be coached.” His deficiencies in pass protection became pronounced as the season went along. “He’s OK but he’s not special,” said a third scout. “He’s a good backup back. I don’t see him breaking tackles. He’s got to have room. He’s quick. He’s not a power back. He’s kind of a change-of-pace guy.” Dobbins is from LaGrange, Texas. “I’ve got him as the best back because I think he has more three-down ability,” said a fourth scout. “You can actually move him out of the backfield and do things. He can become a really good player in this league.” Dobbins posted a Wonderlic of 16.

From Bob McGinn's RB article

Dobbins is another RB that reminds me of Ray Rice, not the ideal comp... I’m thinking there’s a better one available, but its similar enough... I’ll have to watch some more tape to get a better one.

From what I remember though he’s got better breakaway speed than Rice, but might not have as much contact balance. But he’s in that Ray Rice, Priest Holmes, etc. type of mold.

Edited by diamondbull424

One other important thing to note that is huge with JK Dobbins... he played within a similar offense in Ohio State with the RPO and so in a potentially shortened season you’ve got a) Guy who has played in this kind of system b) one of the top 20-25 talents in the draft in impact ability alone and c) someone that plays a position that takes the fewest amount of time to adjust to the league.

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Dobbins is another RB that reminds me of Ray Rice, not the ideal comp... I’m thinking there’s a better one available, but its similar enough... I’ll have to watch some more tape to get a better one.

From what I remember though he’s got better breakaway speed than Rice, but might not have as much contact balance. But he’s in that Ray Rice, Priest Holmes, etc. type of mold.

Mark Ingram?

Just now, coordinator0 said:

Mark Ingram?

Perhaps a faster version of Ingram. Ingram never had breakaway speed. I’m thinking I’ll have to go back to a classic back such as mid 2000s to get the best comp. Wish I would’ve made this easy for myself and did the comp before... maybe I did somewhere and I just have to find it in some other thread.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

This just made me love this pick even more...

We traded away Hayden Hurst... who I had a low 2nd/high 3rd round grade on coming out... for JK Dobbins, who I had as the 2a/2b RB in this class... and if he wasn’t hurt for the combine, perhaps even 1b when it was all said and done.

Chess, not checkers baby! 

I'm going to honest and say that I didn't look at him at all before the draft. I remember a bit from a couple OSU games, but nothing recent. I did watch Taylor, Swift and a couple others because I DO think the team can benefit from a legit plus RB, so the position wouldn't have totally shocked me even in round 1. Not to mention fresh legs all around for potential playoff games. 

Going to have to take a closer look at his guy.