2020 Draft Pick #55 - JK Dobbins

coordinator0

41 minutes ago, alfalcone said:

Reminds me of Fred Taylor 

Don’t love this. Taylor didn’t have nearly the same foot quickness that JKD brings to the table, while JKD isn’t quite as burly and strong. Taylor was more of a one cut power back that could make a move if necessary, but it wasn’t a strong part of his game; a RB similar to Jamal Lewis. I would compare Jonathan Taylor more to Fred Taylor than I would have compare JK Dobbins to Fred Taylor (actually a comparison I’ve considered before).

Why do you feel he compares to Taylor though?

7 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Take care of JK. Sucks I have to HATE him now 😢

🤔 I suppose that’s fair. I feel like of the rivals in the division, the Bengals are the team that I least dislike... not even because of wins or losses or anything... as under Marvin Lewis you guys seemingly always had our number.

Steelers and Ravens used to have that huge rivalry during the Lewis/Ward era. Wouldn’t hate the Browns but they’re still salty about the team having moved almost 25 years ago and I’ve finally gotten annoyed by it.

But Cincy, I feel like if I were driving through Ohio... I would actually visit there, unlike Cleveland.

14 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

🤔 I suppose that’s fair. I feel like of the rivals in the division, the Bengals are the team that I least dislike... not even because of wins or losses or anything... as under Marvin Lewis you guys seemingly always had our number.

Steelers and Ravens used to have that huge rivalry during the Lewis/Ward era. Wouldn’t hate the Browns but they’re still salty about the team having moved almost 25 years ago and I’ve finally gotten annoyed by it.

But Cincy, I feel like if I were driving through Ohio... I would actually visit there, unlike Cleveland.

Hopefully we can make the games more competitive next year lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I think you guys got a lot better. Some good draft picks and some smart FA signings. Khalid Kareem in the 5th is something that sticks out. 

It will be interesting to watch unfold. We are gonna have a ton of new starters. With a shortened offseason it will probably take some time to gel. But I definitely feel optimistic about the future. 

Edited by johndeere1707

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Hopefully we can make the games more competitive next year lol

Don't worry. We will begin to hate you once you go back to something similar to the days when Chad Johnson, Houshmanzadeh and Chris Henry killed us

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

It will be interesting to watch unfold. We are gonna have a ton of new starters. With a shortened offseason it will probably take some time to gel. But I definitely feel optimistic about the future. 

How optimistic are the Bengals nowadays? To me, it seems like one of those teams that had everything going the wrong way last year, but looking at the roster, the QB could be in place, the wide receivers are good, great runningback, oline is a questionmark, but getting healthy there will help a lot. Tight end doesn't have much.

Then theres the defense that mostly has upside and veterans. I like how you guys adressed the linebacker position this year, so unless Bengals loses too many games inside the division, you will go up to 6-7 victories this year.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

How optimistic are the Bengals nowadays? To me, it seems like one of those teams that had everything going the wrong way last year, but looking at the roster, the QB could be in place, the wide receivers are good, great runningback, oline is a questionmark, but getting healthy there will help a lot. Tight end doesn't have much.

Then theres the defense that mostly has upside and veterans. I like how you guys adressed the linebacker position this year, so unless Bengals loses too many games inside the division, you will go up to 6-7 victories this year.

They’ve never been this active in FA, they added a ton of new bodies. Should be completely different unit. Time will tell if it was an upgrade. I think we could be a surprise team for sure if everyone stays healthy. 

11 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

They’ve never been this active in FA, they added a ton of new bodies. Should be completely different unit. Time will tell if it was an upgrade. I think we could be a surprise team for sure if everyone stays healthy. 

Health will be big. Of course that is the case for every team, but I was big on Markus Bailey for this draft, and if he can stay on the field, he and Wilson gives you a really nice tandem with ADG as the guy with more upside.

Still some work to do on that oline, but so does nearly every team in the NFL.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:56 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Ray Rice was my lazy comp for him, but there’s definitely an innate difference between the two. Rice ran a little more compact and had a bit better contact balance... but didn’t have the same level of breakaway speed as JK Dobbins. Priest Holmes was another quick lazy comp for him as well, but JKD wasn’t as shifty as Holmes either, so it wasn’t the ideal fit.

I would give the Ray Rice comp to Clyde Edwards-Helair (though a slower version). Would probably give a comp of D’Andre Swift to Clinton Portis.

After clawing back through the annals of history and looking over some other great backs from yesteryears, I stumbled upon a back in the same era as Portis... because I knew JK Dobbins style of play was “familiar” to me somehow. Curtis Martin was a bit too far back for me and so I didn’t feel comfortable going in that direction... but once I popped in Ahman Green and I felt that stylistically, size, speed... it all fit. The only major difference between Ahman Green and JK Dobbins is that JKD doesn’t have the same fumbling issues attached to his resume... that’s actually one of his strengths.

I see a similar NFL career of potential with a guy that can be very effective in the passing attack, has a mixture between speed, quickness, and power. Ahman Green was kind of your poor man’s LaDainian Tomlinson and that’s what I feel JK Dobbins brings to the table as well.

Another old school name with a comparable game. Prime Emmitt is certainly before my time, I just remember old man Emmitt, however when looking back at these classic highlights, similar contact balance, power, explosion, speed to take it, elusiveness, receiving ability. Might be even more comparable than Ahman Green, however it’s much more lofty a comparison, but just throwing it out there... there’s definitely strong similarities. Obviously Emmitt was known as a strong pass blocker however and JKD is a liability in that area, but beyond that... definitely have similar rushing styles.