2020 Draft Pick #55 - JK Dobbins

coordinator0

Was just looking over our franchise RBs that we’ve had and right now there seems to be a lot of historical correction due to Ray Rice’s incident where Jamal Lewis is thought to be the best franchise RB when he was not. Ray Rice is our greatest RB in franchise history... and while I’m sure he will cannibalize touches from our other backs, I think JKD, and I know he has not played a down with the team... has a chance to go down as the greatest RB in franchise history if he can live up to his collegiate ability. He’s more talented than Rice as a runner as he’s better within the tackle box and sifting through traffic, similar pass blocking deficiencies, and has similar abilities out of the backfield (though probably not likely to be quite as dangerous). As it stands numbers to look out for.

Jamal Lewis topped 2000 YFS for just one season and topped 1500 YFS just 3x with the Ravens. He had a career AV with the Ravens of 61 through 6 seasons.

Ray Rice topped 2000 YFS two times and then topped 1500 YFS 4x with the Ravens. Had a career AV of 70 through 6 seasons.

Rice’s career because of his collegiate workload (and then NJ incident) was even shorter than most gifted RBs, seemingly falling off a cliff at 26 vs 30.

Obviously everything is speculation right now, but if JKD could put together roughly 8 seasons (30 y/o) of production, he could potentially give us the highs of Rice with the career longevity more requisite of the top backs. Something like 8 seasons; 2-3 above 2000 YFS; 6x above 1500 YFS; and finish with a career AV with the team around that 100 mark.

Looking at their careers, I think it would be fair to ask if JK Dobbins had the better collegiate career over Ezekiel Elliot at OSU. One back went 4th overall in the draft, the other went 55th overall. Will be interesting to see if JKD can place himself at the top of our franchise RB list; as that could take this pick from being a potential misuse of draft resources (Denzel Mims) to a draft day steal; and for my money, I think he can do it.

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Action Jackson/LJ8/Llama/MVP

MAndrews

Hollywood

JK All Day

Would prefer it not to infringe on Adrian Peterson’s nickname, I’m thinking something like JKD being JK-TD instead. But obviously just spitballing, I’m sure superior nicknames will present themselves over time.

54 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Would prefer it not to infringe on Adrian Peterson’s nickname, I’m thinking something like JKD being JK-TD instead. But obviously just spitballing, I’m sure superior nicknames will present themselves over time.

I think he and Ohio st already rep that nickname though. He actually have a picture edit on his Instagram of “JK All day.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I didn't watch this guy much before the draft, but attempting to not be biased I like him more than I liked Swift or CEH. I'd have him as the second best runner in this draft after Jonathan Taylor.

Yup and to be fair all four are great backs. So it’s like if someone asked you which is the best car between a ZL1, Hellcat, Model 3, and GT500... all different, but can’t go wrong with what they bring to the table. Depending on how it’s used one might be better than the other, but participation award could go to all four for sure.

I tend to disagree with the take in the other thread from The Athletic article that Dobbins can’t run inside and that he somehow benefited from having Fields open things up for him. This is the previous season without the read option design and Dobbins is consistently making things happen inside and outside within the scheme. He was also a prolific runner regardless of fields, he simply got far more touches last season to eclipse that 2k yard mark. Dobbins has produced well with three different QBs starting. What’s more his pass blocking deficiencies are a lot less noticeable in this game because he has a QB in Dwayne Haskins with superior pocket presence that knows when the defense is dialing up a blitz and knows that he has to speed up his internal clock.