2.58 - MIN: Ezra Cleveland T/Boise State

RpMc

Nice pickup, Cleveland had a better broad jump, 3 cone and 20 shuttle than Bradbury last year, and is clearly 3" taller so impressive stuff not to mention the 4.93 40 and 30 reps at 225.

Then again Bradbury had awesome speed strength numbers, and got freaking pushed around last year I thought so those strength numbers do not always literally translate.  And Cleveland has had his struggles in college as well at times.  Will be interesting if they move him to OG or if they put Udoh at OG.  Love his athletic ability though and is a good value where they got him right in that late 2nd round range.

Seems like a good dude as well who wants to be here.  

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Throw in the large contract given to Reiff as well. Just hope they picked the right ones. 

Kline, Remmers, and Boone as well. And not to mention the OL that they were heavily reported to be pursuing like Osemele, Wagner, and Whitworth. 

Edited by SemperFeist

This is a really good pick at 58.  I love his athleticism.  I do think his technique needs to be coached up.  He is little to open in pass protection and back on his heels as he back pedals.  He will have difficulty against the bull rush.  I also don't expect him to ever play guard. I am not expecting him to be an immediate starter.  There is no reason, however, after polishing his technique that he can't be a good LT for a long time.

Like the Cowboys, the Vikings were the beneficiary of having players with Day 1 talent fall to them on Day 2. With the 58th pick, Minnesota was able to acquire former Boise State lineman Ezra Cleveland, who, according to CBS Sports NFL draft analysis Chris Trapasso, is the "perfect fit" for the Vikings' zone-blocking scheme because of his "high-level short-area athleticism."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-draft-day-2-winners-and-losers-packers-make-more-head-scratching-moves-panthers-load-up-on-defense/

Really happy with this pick. He’s going to be an upgrade from Reiff, maybe even as a rookie.

Would’ve been happy with the pick anytime in the 2nd round. Great they didn’t have to trade up for him, trading up is bad.

Here’s a nice scouting report with some video clips: https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-ezra-cleveland-crushed-the-combine/

Cleveland has all the movement skills you want from a tackle, just needs to get stronger at the point of attack. I don’t think they should muddy the waters by moving him to guard, where his agility would be less help and his lack of strength would be more of a problem. Either he’s ready to start at LT or he sits, and Reiff plays.

No, they shouldn’t release Reiff if Cleveland starts, at least not without trying him at guard. Reiff is a good OL, and they can afford to pay him for one more year even with a position change. Only scenario where I’d be OK with letting Reiff go is if Cleveland shows he’s ready to start (not sure how that could happen with probably little or no preseason this year) and the Vikings trade picks for Thuney or another plug-and-play LG.

• Like 1

The success of this pick, will help define how well the viking play (20\21}

He needs to be coached as full time LT and not G. Need to bulk up & refine technique. Am i expecting him to beat Rieff in camp? No. But i hope so, and that would be the only chance of releasing Rieff, and maybe seeing OL improvement this year. Else, the OL should struggle again this year (but maybe improve for 2021). Betting man would say Ezra is backup OL in 2020, and with downgrades expected with an older Reiff at LT, downgrade at LG, with just center improvement, cousins will be in Trouble.

My comparison for Ezra is Matt Kalil, hope he brings the good version of that many (not me) were expecting

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1