2.59: WR Denzel Mims

Bianconero

20 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Yea.  Hope if works but Mims is one of my least favorite wr this draft 

No idea why.  The film on him is outstanding.  Jets haven't had a big tall weapon like this from a draft since 1998.

Rest of the NFL will be scratching its head as to why he fell like this.  He's better than Higgins and a lot better than many of the WRs who were taken before him.  Too bad Baylor gets little respect.   Write up:

In person, Mims is soft-spoken and shy. He minds his own business and seems uneasy to be in a crowd. He's anything but shy on the football field though. The lanky receiver hails from a town of less than 3,000 people about two hours east of Dallas, but that didn't stop him from busting onto the scene as a highly regarded recruit in the state of Texas. A state champion track athlete who has some unreal hops, Mims has one of the most exciting styles of any receiver in the class. The three star recruit held offers from Baylor, Texas Tech, and a few smaller Texas schools, but he would end up deciding to play for the Baylor Bears as the new era of Baylor football rolled in. Mims would largely ineffective during his first season with the program, but a sophomore breakout campaign would put him on the map as a possible prospect for the 2019 NFL Draft. Coming off a strong season where he pulled in second team all-conference honors, Mims looked poised to have a big year, but he ended up playing through a broken hand as a junior. He would be less effective than in 2017, and decided upon returning to the program for his senior season rather than test the NFL waters. It proved to be the right move, as Mims gradually guided his draft stock back into sturdy territory and began to build a buzz as a highlight reel catch machine for the Bears in 2019. From game-winning grabs to unreal balancing acts on the sideline, Mims showcased some of the best traits in the class in terms of ball skills. Both heading into the year and coming out of it Mims was viewed largely as a day three option by draftniks, but that wouldn't last for long. He toasted corner after corner in the Senior Bowl practices and put on quite the display in terms of route-running and contested catch ability. The hype train wouldn't stop there for him though, as Mims carried that momentum into the Combine and put together one of the most impressive performances of anyone in the class. After running a 4.38 40-yard dash, jumping out of the gym, and putting up the best number of any receiver in the 3-cone drill, Mims had cemented himself as a worth top 50 option. While he isn't the polished product that someone like Jerry Jeudy is, Mims presents a lottery ticket at superstar potential on the outside. He could become a legitimate A.J. Green level talent with the right development and situation. That might seem high given how little the media was on Mims early in the process, but his tape has always shown a great outside receiver with the potential to be great. From winning outrageous jump balls to blocking guys into the Gatorade coolers, Mims is an absolute blast to study and a player that a lot of teams should love to have on their roster. At worst he should be taken at the back of the second round, but there is potential for him to go in the top 20 picks if a team really falls in love with the skill set. I'd bet the latter.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

He couldn't catch the clap.  

Yikes.... so untrue.  His drops weren't out of the ordinary, unless I misread a stat or two somewhere. He had 7 drops last season, 50% fewer than his 2018 season.  He is getting better each year with that.  

• Like 2

I loved the pick but I have two concerns:

1.  Why did he fall?  what do NFL scouts know that we do not?

2.  Baylor WR's do not learn to run routes.  Not sure if Baylor even has a WR coach.  Shawn J. has his work cut out for him.  I do not expect great results from Mims in year 1.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Most of these are against off coverage or against super small /bad corners.  The big 12 had one corner drafted in seven rounds.  You're not gonna convince me. 

Hell I don't even disagree with the pick really with all the wr that was gone by that point.  I get it. I just think he'll bust.  Could he be a star.  Sure.  Do I want to be wrong.  Yes.  Just my opinion 

there it is again.  If the offensive player, particularly WR, comes from Baylor, many people automatically downgrade.   Been seeing this for years and it's just wrong.  

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I loved the pick but I have two concerns:

1.  Why did he fall?  what do NFL scouts know that we do not?

2.  Baylor WR's do not learn to run routes.  Not sure if Baylor even has a WR coach.  Shawn J. has his work cut out for him.  I do not expect great results from Mims in year 1.

Baylor & conference get little respect

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcat said:

there it is again.  If the offensive player, particularly WR, comes from Baylor, many people automatically downgrade.   Been seeing this for years and it's just wrong.  

Well to be fair.  It hasn't been wrong yet 

2 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Well to be fair.  It hasn't been wrong yet 

If Hurd hadn't been injured last year, he might have changed a few opinions.  Totally different type of player, but I just thought he would have been taken higher that where 49ers took him if he hadn't been from Baylor.

Wow... People need to cut the "bad hands"  here.  He had 7 drops in 2019.  His 11 drops in 2018 when he played with a broken hand.   You're gonna need a better criticism than that.  Great pick for us

Per Cimini post (haven't checked for accuracy):  Each of Lamb and Jeudy had MORE drops than Mims last year.  Overblown issue and we have a pretty damned good WR coach in Jefferson. 

Edited by dcat
  • Like 2