2.59: WR Denzel Mims

Bianconero

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not going the chime in much here bc I’ll let you guys do your thing....

But the school Mims is from (Baylor) has nothing to do with his talent. That’s all I’ll say.

Not questioning his talent, I do question the school developing that talent, mainly because they don't.  I can almost see a quicker, less physical DK Metcalf.  Metcalf dropped because of poor 3 cone drills and the fact he could not run WR routes.  Worked out for Seattle so I have hope Mims works out for us.  I just do not expect huge numbers from him in year one.  In fact, I think he will be more of a WR4 to start the season and slowly earn more playing time.

Still a great pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Not questioning his talent, I do question the school developing that talent, mainly because they don't.  I can almost see a quicker, less physical DK Metcalf.  Metcalf dropped because of poor 3 cone drills and the fact he could not run WR routes.  Worked out for Seattle so I have hope Mims works out for us.  I just do not expect huge numbers from him in year one.  In fact, I think he will be more of a WR4 to start the season and slowly earn more playing time.

Still a great pick.

A school doesn’t make the persons talent though. That would be like saying any WR from Clemson should be drafted high bc of the schools pedigree. Which is just a lazy way to actually analyze a player.

There was also a different coach that was there when Mims was there compared to who a lot are comparing as past WRs from there.

Id rather someone pick apart his actual game and give traits of his that they’re worried about. While I might disagree with them. At least that’s analyzing the player. You mention the school he went to and that person belittles their stance. Bc the 2 don’t correlate. School doesn’t equal talent. 

• Like 1

If you go back to my original post I questioned his fall to 59 and I pointed out that Baylor does not develop WR so Mims needs to learn to run NFL routes. I looked at all the WR that were drafted out of Baylor and only Josh Gordon made an impact. That is fact, not just a lazy analysis. Nowhere did I question Mims talent. I have watched some tape of Mims and his highlights consist of 9 routes for the most part. I am sure there are highlights of him running something else. But Baylor does not develop WR’s - fact.

10 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

But all those past Baylor WR’s that didnt pan out came from the Art Briles tree, Mims was a Rhule guy who ran a different style of offense than Briles

And josh Gordon was pretty great despite his drug addictions. 

Mims is more athletic than Gordon and was more productive in college 

Watching the way mims plays he reminds me a lot of some of the elite 6'3 wrs in the game. He high points the ball, has the elite body control, his 3 cone was filthy , and he was great at burying out cbs. 

Hopefully mims is a steal and ends our poor 2nd round wr streak.

• Like 1

I could see why y’all were so happy with this pick. I was mostly focused on the shifty or YAC WRs before the draft because I thought that was what the team needed most. So while I watched Mims predraft, I didn’t watch him nearly as much as I did a guy like Lamb.

He has elite body control. That’s the trait that stands out the most to me. Darnold is going to love this guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abe56 said:

But all those past Baylor WR’s that didnt pan out came from the Art Briles tree, Mims was a Rhule guy who ran a different style of offense than Briles

He repeated the school thing after Bobby mentioned it was a different coach and then said FACT lmao. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

If you go back to my original post I questioned his fall to 59 and I pointed out that Baylor does not develop WR so Mims needs to learn to run NFL routes. I looked at all the WR that were drafted out of Baylor and only Josh Gordon made an impact. That is fact, not just a lazy analysis. Nowhere did I question Mims talent. I have watched some tape of Mims and his highlights consist of 9 routes for the most part. I am sure there are highlights of him running something else. But Baylor does not develop WR’s - fact.

IMO it is a bit lazy. That would be like saying we made the right draft pick with Ardarius Stewart bc Alabama has had good WRs develop. Or that choosing Charon Peake was great bc he was a Clemson WR. Who the talent played for has nothing to do with his skill set.

Did he have to run a ton a great routes at Baylor? No. But neither has any Big 12 WR. So I guess any WR from OU isn’t a good pick either. Just bc he wasn’t asked to do it. Doesn’t mean he can’t. He showed at the senior bowl and the combine he’s more than what Baylor had him do. Which he did with success.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

IMO it is a bit lazy. That would be like saying we made the right draft pick with Ardarius Stewart bc Alabama has had good WRs develop. Or that choosing Charon Peake was great bc he was a Clemson WR. Who the talent played for has nothing to do with his skill set.

Did he have to run a ton a great routes at Baylor? No. But neither has any Big 12 WR. So I guess any WR from OU isn’t a good pick either. Just bc he wasn’t asked to do it. Doesn’t mean he can’t.

Yup, michael Thomas wasn't a good pick in round 2 big 12 wrs suck.

Honestly I dont even remember any Baylor wr, mims was the first in a while that jumped out. Tell me some baylor busts? And it's not mims combine that drew us, it's his ability on the field to make insane grabs and help a qb out. His athleticism was clear on the field,  if he works hard he can be good 

Mims made the type of catches in college we dreamed that Anderson could make.  Mims has #1 wr talent. And hez definitely no Stephen hill

5 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Yup, michael Thomas wasn't a good pick in round 2 big 12 wrs suck.

Honestly I dont even remember any Baylor wr, mims was the first in a while that jumped out. Tell me some baylor busts? And it's not mims combine that drew us, it's his ability on the field to make insane grabs and help a qb out. His athleticism was clear on the field,  if he works hard he can be good 

Mims made the type of catches in college we dreamed that Anderson could make.  Mims has #1 wr talent. And hez definitely no Stephen hill

Michael Thomas went to Ohio State but yes I can name countless WRs that have come from sling the ball offenses with little discipline in route running that have been great.

• Like 1

Just now, NewAge said:

The biggest Baylor WR bust (Kendall Wright) still had a 1000 yard season in the NFL and was also nothing like Mims. Terrance Williams was a fine #2 until he fell off a cliff. 

I’d argue Corey Coleman is a bigger but but Mims isn’t coming from the Briels system

And none of those wrs were as good as mims. Mims shows way more talent,  only Baylor wr that was this talented was Gordon. Kendall Wright was small and ran a 4.6, dude was probably lazy and had some success in the NFL. 

Terrence Williams was a 3rd and productive for one.

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

And none of those wrs were as good as mims. Mims shows way more talent,  only Baylor wr that was this talented was Gordon. Kendall Wright was small and ran a 4.6, dude was probably lazy and had some success in the NFL. 

Terrence Williams was a 3rd and productive for one.

Williams was so good that after a couple seasons he became a free agent and has been there for almost two years now after a short stint in the xfl