2.59: WR Denzel Mims

Bianconero

Ask my Baylor buddy who is a season ticket holder and doesn’t miss a second of any game about Mims and this is what he said.....

Not loud, doesn’t pout, not a diva. Even when he’s covered he’s kind of open bc he is so long. Deceptive burst, ran a 4.38 at combine at 6’4.  Will block and doesn’t think he’s above doing dirty work. Weapon in red zone bc of length. When we couldn’t run the ball, it was a fade to him, both teams new it, rarely did anyone stop it. Caught game winner vs ok st that way. Will make catches where you go holy ****

Cons, bc of his length and bc he plays hard, you hold your breath bc of him getting hurt, ankles and knees, almost wish he would concede sometimes and make sure he doesn’t get hurt. Every now and then will drop a ball has no business being dropped, feel like that’s every receiver, but still needs to be said. 

Any other draft he doesn’t make it out of the first. Dominated senior bowl and combine. Spent last season as the guy everyone wanted to stop and still produced. Baylor changed system so he knows the pro style already. His recurved coach the last 3 years is the receiver coach at Carolina now. He got noticeably better every year.

I think y’all got amazing value. Good kid and possesses things you can’t teach or coach.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Regardless kid has talent, I hope he doesn't bust but I think he will.  You can agree disagree that's fine.  Beauty of the draft is difference of the opinions 

Absolutely. We are all fans of the same team here, so no one is cheering against any player to have success. 

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

Well obviously we have a ton of experts here. Can someone please answer my original question without going off on a tangent?  WHY DID HE SLIP TO 59?  That’s all I wanted to know. 

Honestly no clue. Different teams might have wanted a different kind of skill set than what he offers. And as mentioned the Baylor system might have scared some teams away.

As stated... some guys slip for stupid reasons. I gave the DK example last year as an example. He slipped in his agility drill and people killed it along with injuries. He had no business not being a 1st rounder. I think this applies with Mims this year. He had no business slipping that far. Draft should’ve gone with him as the 5th WR off the board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Well obviously we have a ton of experts here. Can someone please answer my original question without going off on a tangent?  WHY DID HE SLIP TO 59?  That’s all I wanted to know. 

We don't know but the short answer is teams like other options.

Outside the top 3

Eagles took Reagor who they want to move around

Vikings took Jefferson who's more polished

49ers took Aiyuk who's a better fit for what they do

Bengals took Higgins who's a bigger guy

Colts took Pittman as Rivers likes bigger targets as well

Jaguars needed a pure RAC guy for Minshew so Shenault made sense

Broncos took Hamler who's faster on tape, their trying to match the Chiefs like the other teams in their division

Steelers took Claypool is a bigger target as well

Rams took Jefferson a bit more refined as a route runner

We took Mims

So overall other teams just liked other guys better and that's perfectly fine

34 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Honestly no clue. Different teams might have wanted a different kind of skill set than what he offers. And as mentioned the Baylor system might have scared some teams away.

As stated... some guys slip for stupid reasons. I gave the DK example last year as an example. He slipped in his agility drill and people killed it along with injuries. He had no business not being a 1st rounder. I think this applies with Mims this year. He had no business slipping that far. Draft should’ve gone with him as the 5th WR off the board.

Thanks. It appears Baylor may have a bad reputation. Let’s hope Mims helps to change that if that is indeed the case. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Thanks. It appears Baylor may have a bad reputation. Let’s hope Mims helps to change that if that is indeed the case. 

Nearly all the WRs people are profiling him from we’re from a different HC and WR coach. If that helps.

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Mims goes with a jersey number between 10-19 I’m getting one. For whatever reason I don’t like it when WRs have numbers in the 80s anymore. 

81, 84, 88 are the only acceptable #’s in the 80’s for WR in my book....think he wears 15

43 minutes ago, xrade said:

I answered it then.  The answer is because he is from Baylor.  But I'll add that his... the fact that this draft is already renown for it's unusually strong WR class would also play a factor.   Plus, once you go beyond Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs (whose order all the experts got wrong), you have a class of nearly a dozen WRs of equivalent talent and ratings but with different special skill sets.  Guaranteed if one or two fall it will be from schools like Baylor and the like.  

Now I'll ask my question.  Why does it matter?  Why did Pittman go way higher than all the expert rankings?  School?  Who cares.  He's in the same large group of tier 2 WRs, many of whom would be 1st round picks in their own right in other drafts.  We got one that many believed to be in the top end of the 2nd tier...  I couldn't be happier.  

It does not matter to me. You mentioned Baylor and I looked at all the WR drafted and the list was poor. Thus, it makes sense that teams may be wary of Baylor WR.   I was just curious why he slipped a bit and was hoping to get some plausible responses. Instead I got crap about how irrational it was to suggest such a thing as Baylor not producing any NFL WR, yet I did not get any reasonable response until just now. But thanks for questioning my inquiry.