Jump to content
Bianconero

2.59: WR Denzel Mims

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Not saying you can but tired of having to hear how he dominated senior bowl practices over dudes who won't be on nfl rosters 

Better than hearing he struggled against those guys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For real though I want to hear what someone doesn't like about him besides things he cant control. Meaning the players he played against has nothing to do with him as a player and his skill set. The school he came from has nothing to do with his skill set, etc.

 

As well as to belittle his senior bowl to me is just lazy. He went out and showed that he is a legit route runner. And when I say legit... I mean very good.

 

What don't you like about him as a player?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For real though I want to hear what someone doesn't like about him besides things he cant control. Meaning the players he played against has nothing to do with him as a player and his skill set. The school he came from has nothing to do with his skill set, etc.

 

As well as to belittle his senior bowl to me is just lazy. He went out and showed that he is a legit route runner. And when I say legit... I mean very good.

 

What don't you like about him as a player?

I have no  idea till a see him play several games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Not saying you can but tired of having to hear how he dominated senior bowl practices over dudes who won't be on nfl rosters 

Scouts weren't just excited about his senior bowl performance just because he was beating bad CB, more because he showed much better technique with multiple routes that he was never asked to run at Baylor.   It was doubly impressive because he improved in all of those routes just since the end of the Baylor season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For real though I want to hear what someone doesn't like about him besides things he cant control. Meaning the players he played against has nothing to do with him as a player and his skill set. The school he came from has nothing to do with his skill set, etc.

 

As well as to belittle his senior bowl to me is just lazy. He went out and showed that he is a legit route runner. And when I say legit... I mean very good.

 

What don't you like about him as a player?

Senior Bowl cut up was eye opening to me - I think it shows he's capable of redefining his route tree and doing more than what he was asked to do at Baylor. That was my biggest criticism and I'm starting to think I was wrong.  Having said that.. very good? That's a stretch if you're basing it off of 1:30min worth of 1on1 drills in shorts.. He isn't a very good route runner on film - I think he showed he projects better than that.

Other concerns: For a guy with his physical ability, that speed doesn't exactly show up on tape. He creates separation but not what you would expect from someone with 4.38 speed.. Drops are an obvious concern - Struggles with the easy ones, probably a lack of concentration but I doubt that's going to disappear. YAC - He's not great after the catch.. Again, you'd think someone with his athletic ability would dominate with the ball in his hands but he doesn't.

I really like him as a player, admittedly more so than we drafted him. He isn't without flaws though..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Senior Bowl cut up was eye opening to me - I think it shows he's capable of redefining his route tree and doing more than what he was asked to do at Baylor. That was my biggest criticism and I'm starting to think I was wrong.  Having said that.. very good? That's a stretch if you're basing it off of 1:30min worth of 1on1 drills in shorts.. He isn't a very good route runner on film - I think he showed he projects better than that.

Other concerns: For a guy with his physical ability, that speed doesn't exactly show up on tape. He creates separation but not what you would expect from someone with 4.38 speed.. Drops are an obvious concern - Struggles with the easy ones, probably a lack of concentration but I doubt that's going to disappear. YAC - He's not great after the catch.. Again, you'd think someone with his athletic ability would dominate with the ball in his hands but he doesn't.

I really like him as a player, admittedly more so than we drafted him. He isn't without flaws though..

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. His route tree at Baylor was my biggest concern coming in but he seemed to put that to rest at the Senior Bowl, although it was only a small sample size. Route running is something that can be taught and Mims seems to have a feel for it already. Not without flaws but I see him having a short learning curve and acclimating himself quickly. The physical traits are already there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Senior Bowl cut up was eye opening to me - I think it shows he's capable of redefining his route tree and doing more than what he was asked to do at Baylor. That was my biggest criticism and I'm starting to think I was wrong.  Having said that.. very good? That's a stretch if you're basing it off of 1:30min worth of 1on1 drills in shorts.. He isn't a very good route runner on film - I think he showed he projects better than that.

Other concerns: For a guy with his physical ability, that speed doesn't exactly show up on tape. He creates separation but not what you would expect from someone with 4.38 speed.. Drops are an obvious concern - Struggles with the easy ones, probably a lack of concentration but I doubt that's going to disappear. YAC - He's not great after the catch.. Again, you'd think someone with his athletic ability would dominate with the ball in his hands but he doesn't.

I really like him as a player, admittedly more so than we drafted him. He isn't without flaws though..

I mean it was a whole week of practice and a game not just less than 2min of highlight reels. He apparently dominated for a whole week. Cant remember who said it (maybe it was Rhule) that said his speed is deceptive. That he looks like he's not running that fats and than next thing you know he's flying right by you. I dont think and his YAC were on display enough not bc of his skill set but bc of the offense and not the best QBs throwing to him. Underthrows will not not allow a player to show his speed. A ball not thrown in front of them wont show their YAC ability, etc.

The only thing I'll agree on is his hands. Seems he has some concentration issues at times. Which is very fixable. Its not like he just doesn't have good hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually just read this about Mims senior bowl performance last night

Replacement pick: WR DENZEL MIMS, Baylor

He slid a little on draft day, but Denzel Mims is still an excellent receiver and the Bears still need more weapons than just Allen Robinson II. Mims had the highest grade PFF has ever given during the week of Senior Bowl practices, where he was completely uncoverable in the one-on-one drills and then went to the combine and tested out as a 95th-percentile athlete. He could have really moved the needle for the Chicago offense, far more so than a tight end.


 

I dont care if he wasnt facing all 1st round talents, to be the highest graded performer in their history regardless of position is pretty impressive

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Not saying you can but tired of having to hear how he dominated senior bowl practices over dudes who won't be on nfl rosters 

You’re tired about reading about something that happened? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how many players have chances to prove themselves at the Senior Bowl and fall short? Mims showed there was more to his game. 

A foundation that coaches can build upon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJC33 said:

Senior Bowl cut up was eye opening to me - I think it shows he's capable of redefining his route tree and doing more than what he was asked to do at Baylor. That was my biggest criticism and I'm starting to think I was wrong.  Having said that.. very good? That's a stretch if you're basing it off of 1:30min worth of 1on1 drills in shorts.. He isn't a very good route runner on film - I think he showed he projects better than that.

Other concerns: For a guy with his physical ability, that speed doesn't exactly show up on tape. He creates separation but not what you would expect from someone with 4.38 speed.. Drops are an obvious concern - Struggles with the easy ones, probably a lack of concentration but I doubt that's going to disappear. YAC - He's not great after the catch.. Again, you'd think someone with his athletic ability would dominate with the ball in his hands but he doesn't.

I really like him as a player, admittedly more so than we drafted him. He isn't without flaws though..

Here is a little tidbit about his drops.  He had over an 11 percent drop rate over his career at Baylor and that is concerning.  However what most people don't know is that his drop rate in his last season was better than both Lamb and Jeudy widely regarded as the 2 best WRs in the draft.  He is obviously a hard worker and I think that shows in his ability to improve his drop rate over his time in college.  His drops are wildly overblown.

We got an absolute steal and for those who think we need a WR1 we just got one.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Here is a little tidbit about his drops.  He had over an 11 percent drop rate over his career at Baylor and that is concerning.  However what most people don't know is that his drop rate in his last season was better than both Lamb and Jeudy widely regarded as the 2 best WRs in the draft.  He is obviously a hard worker and I think that shows in his ability to improve his drop rate over his time in college.  His drops are wildly overblown.

We got an absolute steal and for those who think we need a WR1 we just got one.

More than half his drops though were in a season where he had a broken hand and was playing through it. 

Drops happen to a lot of great WR. 

His body control and ability to high point a ball is elite, if he has a desire for football and worth ethic he should at least be a good starting WR. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Here is a little tidbit about his drops.  He had over an 11 percent drop rate over his career at Baylor and that is concerning.  However what most people don't know is that his drop rate in his last season was better than both Lamb and Jeudy widely regarded as the 2 best WRs in the draft.  He is obviously a hard worker and I think that shows in his ability to improve his drop rate over his time in college.  His drops are wildly overblown.

We got an absolute steal and for those who think we need a WR1 we just got one.

Yeah I noticed that too - He drops the easy ones, slants/comebacks etc. I'm not overly concerned about it but I doubt it ever goes away entirely.. A guy he's drawing comparison to (Brandon Marshall) had the same issue throughout his career but dominate enough where it didn't matter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For real though I want to hear what someone doesn't like about him besides things he cant control. Meaning the players he played against has nothing to do with him as a player and his skill set. The school he came from has nothing to do with his skill set, etc.

 

As well as to belittle his senior bowl to me is just lazy. He went out and showed that he is a legit route runner. And when I say legit... I mean very good.

 

What don't you like about him as a player?

I want to start off by clarifying that I loved that we picked Mims, especially where we took him. It was tremendous value. Rarely are you able to get a WR with legit WR1 potential at the end of round 2. 

That being said, he definitely has a lower floor then a lot of the WRs that went ahead of him (though I don’t think his floor is complete bust out of the league in 3-4 years ala Stephen Hill). He absolutely has to refine his route running. He has the physical ability and talent to be a rare separator for someone his size, but it’s not a given that he will ever become an elite route runner. 

The biggest issue I saw from watching his full game tapes rather then just his highlight reels was his inconsistency with making contested catches. He has some crazy circus catches that makes for a great highlight, but there were plenty of times when he struggled making the catch when he had a CB on his back. He also seems to mistime his jump quite often.

Ultimately I think his floor is somewhere around Tyrell Williams and his ceiling is a rich man’s Braylon Edwards.

Edited by BlaZeN37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he had either the most or 2nd most contested catches in college football last year at one of the higher rates... his contested catches aren't a problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...