2.59: WR Denzel Mims

Bianconero

5 minutes ago, dcat said:

When JD traded back from 48 we all said oh well, he doesn't like Mims because he would have grabbed him there.  Dropping 11 spots was really risky if he was the guy all along.  I just think he was one of many somewhat equally rated WR prospects and JD figured that at least one of them would still be there in 11 picks.  I just wonder who the others were?  

Ya I was happy the way it shook out but it was risky. I think he traded back thinking he could land Claypool, Jefferson it Mims. And he did. I went into yesterday wanting Mims or Higgins and even Shenault (not as much as the other 2). And we got one. So I was very pumped

• Like 3

Definitely think the fact that JD traded back at 48 shows he wasn’t absolutely in love with Mims, but he was too good to pass up at 59.

Mims was widely regarded as a 3rd or 4th round pick before he blew up the combine/senior bowl. He’s a boom/bust kind of prospect that’s for sure. 

2 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Definitely think the fact that JD traded back at 48 shows he wasn’t absolutely in love with Mims, but he was too good to pass up at 59.

Mims was widely regarded as a 3rd or 4th round pick before he blew up the combine/senior bowl. He’s a boom/bust kind of prospect that’s for sure. 

I don’t see bust with him. His only question really was can he beat defenders bc in Baylor’s offense he was going to shine regardless bc of his skill set. And the senior bowl and combine solidified that he could. Wasn’t a workout warrior like some who move up boards. He just put to rest the questions some had about him.

Ow it’s time for him to showcase that

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Yea.  Hope if works but Mims is one of my least favorite wr this draft 

Interesting.. What don't you like about him? 

I'm a fan considering where we got him but definitely wasn't among my top targets to start the day  

24 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Interesting.. What don't you like about him? 

I'm a fan considering where we got him but definitely wasn't among my top targets to start the day  

He couldn't catch the clap.  Braylon Edwards all over again 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewAge said:

I mean I'd take 2006-2010 Braylon Edwards (on the field) with the 59th pick. Ideally, you get a bit more shelf life. 

I should say Edward's is his ceiling. 

If you want an actual comparison he's Donte Montcrief

I dont get the moncrief comparison,  I just rewatched moncrief and they are nothing alike. 

Moncrief was a body catcher and never made near the grabs that mims has done in college.

The way mims high points the football and gets these grabs he reminds me of quite a few elite wrs. One is how marshall used to high point balls in the red zone for us.

If mims has work ethic and improve his route running, he has the ability to be really good.

The body control and athleticism cant be taught, he might not be great year 1 but I see a productive receiver

• Like 1

Montcrief 6 2.  220 lbs 4.40. 40 in vertical 

"Terrific size. Smooth accelerator -- jets off the line, eliminates cushion and has speed to stretch the field vertically. Good balance and body control. Can stem his pattern and leverage defenders. Drives off cornerbacks and creates separation. Knows where the sticks are. Outstanding leaping ability to elevate and pluck throws out of the air.Needs to sharpen his route running.  Does not always play to his size and struggles to separate against press coverage-- gets outmuscled for "50-50" balls "

Mims 6 3, 210 lbs. 4.4 40. .39 in vert 

" Mims is a long-striding outside target with excellent height, weight and speed and an insane catch-radius. He's a touchdown threat anytime he's near the red zone, with the focus and body control to finesse and finish catches above the rim. He struggles to release and separate from physical press corners, and he doesn't consistently compete and outwork opponents for positioning on contested catches.  If the route work and intensity catch up with his natural athletic ability, he could become a dangerous "Z" receiver in a vertical offense"

No they are nothing alike.... 

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Montcrief 6 2.  220 lbs 4.40. 40 in vertical 

"Terrific size. Smooth accelerator -- jets off the line, eliminates cushion and has speed to stretch the field vertically. Good balance and body control. Can stem his pattern and leverage defenders. Drives off cornerbacks and creates separation. Knows where the sticks are. Outstanding leaping ability to elevate and pluck throws out of the air.Needs to sharpen his route running.  Does not always play to his size and struggles to separate against press coverage-- gets outmuscled for "50-50" balls "

Mims 6 3, 210 lbs. 4.4 40. .39 in vert 

" Mims is a long-striding outside target with excellent height, weight and speed and an insane catch-radius. He's a touchdown threat anytime he's near the red zone, with the focus and body control to finesse and finish catches above the rim. He struggles to release and separate from physical press corners, and he doesn't consistently compete and outwork opponents for positioning on contested catches.  If the route work and intensity catch up with his natural athletic ability, he could become a dangerous "Z" receiver in a vertical offense"

No they are nothing alike.... 

Julio Jones 6 3, 220 lbs. 4.4 40 38.5 in vert

STRENGTHS

“Jones possesses NFL-ideal receiver size. Explodes off the line. Eats up cushions in a hurry. Beats press coverage with his strength and physicality. Can separate vertically and on crossing patterns. Locates soft spots against zone. Shows elite body-control and strong hands on jump balls and poor throws. Can be a load in the open field. Tough and highly-competitive. Good blocker.”

WEAKNESSES

“Will drop the routine pass on occasion and body catches at times. Was able to consistently separate in college but still developing as a route-runner. Needs to do a better job setting up defenders and getting out of breaks. Willing to go over the middle but needs to show more consistency catching in traffic.”

Hey look, I can do the same thing too

• Like 1